PDA

View Full Version : ME Bench Press Form

IZich
08-15-2007, 01:02 AM
Hey all, here are two videos. Please tell me how to improve my form. THANKS.

The first one is me doing 245x3. Please check my form and give comments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ9ZLU0vUp0

The second one is failing on 305x1. My elbow buckles in, and I don't know why. Anyone who's experienced, what exactly did I do wrong and how do I fix the problem? Some of my guesses including not keeping my elbows in tight enough (which I need to practice I guess), not staying tight enough in the hole and just plain weak off of the chest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqTDSbbMLZM

jtteg_x
08-15-2007, 01:42 AM
it "looks" like your ass is comming off the bench on the 350 clip. chose a foot placement where you can keep your tightness throughout the entire movement.

Kong
08-15-2007, 01:46 AM
Try putting your feet further out infront

smokinHawk
08-15-2007, 06:36 AM
ya i would try to spread your feet out wider some with keeping your arch, as you have a decent arch. you might get more leg drive from it.
as for your elbow coming in, it just looked like a stability problem

also on were is your hand placement? being 6'2" you might need to go wider, slowly each week to get used to it.

Detard
08-15-2007, 08:19 AM
You almost had the 305 press. Try to get your feet out wider so you have a stronger base. I think the 305 fail is because you have a sticking point or you just need to get stronger. I dont think there was anything particularly wrong with your form.

IZich
08-15-2007, 10:37 AM
Thanks guys. I prefer the feel of driving through the balls of my feet, so perhaps I'll try a wider stance.

IZich
08-15-2007, 10:39 AM
it "looks" like your ass is comming off the bench on the 350 clip. chose a foot placement where you can keep your tightness throughout the entire movement.

I'm pretty sure my ass is on the bench, but I'll keep that in mind for next time.

smokinHawk
08-15-2007, 12:12 PM
Thanks guys. I prefer the feel of driving through the balls of my feet, so perhaps I'll try a wider stance.

for me and my arch and leg drive i concentrate and try to put all my bodyweight i can on my shoulders. It just looks like you might benefit with moving your legs out some (also some feds require that your feet stay planted- when they get picky)
where was your hand placement? moving it out to max legal width might help over time, i have been moving mine out slowly and it helps when my bench gets stuck.
also might try touching the bar on your chest slightly lower (just slightly, as it looked from the wobble that you might have brought it down just a tad high)

you should have the 305 very soon

IZich
08-15-2007, 12:18 PM
for me and my arch and leg drive i concentrate and try to put all my bodyweight i can on my shoulders. It just looks like you might benefit with moving your legs out some (also some feds require that your feet stay planted- when they get picky)
where was your hand placement? moving it out to max legal width might help over time, i have been moving mine out slowly and it helps when my bench gets stuck.
also might try touching the bar on your chest slightly lower (just slightly, as it looked from the wobble that you might have brought it down just a tad high)

My indexes are just outside the rings.

mickyjune26
08-15-2007, 12:20 PM
What is the max allowed width on bench press hand placement?

smokinHawk
08-15-2007, 12:45 PM
index finger on the outer ring is max legal for competition.
so if its there looks like you dont need to move your grip.

Optimum08
08-15-2007, 07:41 PM
form looks pretty good. the arch is good, i would also say try widening the feet a bit and see how that feels. other than that just get stronger because form doesn't really look to be the problem.

Magilla
08-19-2007, 09:04 AM

I agree with Smokin Hawk. Especially the weight on your shoulder blades (and try and touch them when you set up), widen your stance someand touch lower on your chest. Remember to keep the shoulder blades almost touching. This stabilzes the lift and allows (for me) a better explosion off the chest. am 6'1" and I use wider grip then most. The setup will make or break you lift.

For what is is worth, what kinda of back exercise are you doing? If not doing rows, add them. They will stabilze you bench... I think you could get 305 with the above adjustments...

IZich
08-19-2007, 02:48 PM
thx magilla.

IZich
08-19-2007, 02:49 PM
thx magilla I'm doing heavy deads, pullups (CG, palms facing and WG), BB rows and cleans (hangs, high pulls, etc.)

I'll try to focus more on the BB rows and get those a little heavier. Do you think I should be strapped on those to emphasize more back muscle?

Magilla
08-19-2007, 07:27 PM
thx magilla I'm doing heavy deads, pullups (CG, palms facing and WG), BB rows and cleans (hangs, high pulls, etc.)

I'll try to focus more on the BB rows and get those a little heavier. Do you think I should be strapped on those to emphasize more back muscle?

the other day, I used straps for the 1st time. My rows went up by 50#. So yes, I would (and I will) use straps.

smokinHawk
08-20-2007, 06:03 AM
stability with your forearm grip on the bench is also important, i wouldn't use straps cause of that, you want strong forearms or youll end up dumping it by wimpy handing it.

IZich
08-20-2007, 02:51 PM
Okay, great advice everyone. Tomorrow's my ME day again so I'll post vids up and see where I'm at with everything.

Magilla
08-20-2007, 03:15 PM
stability with your forearm grip on the bench is also important, i wouldn't use straps cause of that, you want strong forearms or youll end up dumping it by wimpy handing it.

I agree with smokinhawk on the forearm strength. gotta have it. I should have written I use them for rows only, not for other exercises (DL, Chins, Pullups, etc.)

Jauncey Lewis
08-20-2007, 05:02 PM
Hey all, here are two videos. Please tell me how to improve my form. THANKS.

The first one is me doing 245x3. Please check my form and give comments.

The second one is failing on 305x1. My elbow buckles in, and I don't know why. Anyone who's experienced, what exactly did I do wrong and how do I fix the problem? Some of my guesses including not keeping my elbows in tight enough (which I need to practice I guess), not staying tight enough in the hole and just plain weak off of the chest.
[/url]For power lifting you would want your elbows in tighter. I also saw your shoulder pop on the max lift, be careful one problem with keeping your elbows wide is you are open for injury more.