PDA

View Full Version : Weekly caloric timing....

monkeyarms
08-15-2007, 05:34 AM
I enjoy a nice big cheat meal every Sunday, and a good bit of drinking on Saturday night. These are 2 things that keep me sane throughout the week. My question concerns working this into the weekly diet plan:

Let's say my maintenance cals are 3000. If I'm on a cut let's say I shoot for 2200 cals/day, but I know that I'm going to be more in the 3500-4000 range both Saturday & Sunday, so I limit my weekday cals to around 1650-1700 to compensate. Is this the right way to go about this?

Likewise, if I'm on a bulk would I keep my weekday cals a tad bit under maintenance? It seems like only having a calorie surplus 2 days a week would lead to less muscle gain and more fat.....

Al3X
08-15-2007, 05:54 AM
You could go that route, but your gains wouldn't be as significant as just 500 (give or take) below maintenance M-F. Compensating for five days to make up for two would limit your progress.

ShockBoxer
08-15-2007, 06:12 AM
Likewise, if I'm on a bulk would I keep my weekday cals a tad bit under maintenance? It seems like only having a calorie surplus 2 days a week would lead to less muscle gain and more fat.....

I'm curious about that as well. I think the response should be 'Oh, thank you, thank you!!!!' from your beaten to hell muscles that have been trying to rebuild as best they can with the limited resources given to them at a deficit.

Eating at or near maintenance and pigging out every once in a while is how the average person gets fat over time (20 pounds in 10 years since high school, that sort of thing). For someone who hits the weights hard, though, shouldn't it be different?

greekboy80
08-15-2007, 07:44 AM
I enjoy a nice big cheat meal every Sunday, and a good bit of drinking on Saturday night. These are 2 things that keep me sane throughout the week. My question concerns working this into the weekly diet plan:

Let's say my maintenance cals are 3000. If I'm on a cut let's say I shoot for 2200 cals/day, but I know that I'm going to be more in the 3500-4000 range both Saturday & Sunday, so I limit my weekday cals to around 1650-1700 to compensate. Is this the right way to go about this?

Man, Do what feels right and what works for you. I have the same basic set up as you. I'm pretty strict during the week and I usually limit the drinking to saturday nights and I usually try to have only 1-3 "cheat" meals on the weekend. Its worked fine for me. I've cut around 25-30 lbs since March and I'm looking better than ever and my strength is staying.

How are you working out? How has it been working for you?

KingWilder
08-15-2007, 08:12 AM
just make sure your weekly average is in the range you want for your goals...although 1700 calories on a lifting day seems awfully low for someone who's maintenance is 3000 (unless that was purely an example)

greekboy80
08-15-2007, 11:31 AM
just make sure your weekly average is in the range you want for your goals...although 1700 calories on a lifting day seems awfully low for someone who's maintenance is 3000 (unless that was purely an example)

Yeah, I agree. But I also think that people get too freaked out about calories and muscle loss. If your macros for fat and protien are on target, getting enough fiber, vitamins and lifting heavy, muscle loss, I believe, is negligible.

monkeyarms
08-15-2007, 12:20 PM
Yeah, I agree. But I also think that people get too freaked out about calories and muscle loss. If your macros for fat and protien are on target, getting enough fiber, vitamins and lifting heavy, muscle loss, I believe, is negligible.

Yeah, I'm not too concerned about it while cutting, because I still have my caloric deficit for the week.....

.........But when bulking, this would be the goal:

http://www.fliptrack.com/photos/HG/nHGlUlH9uPcqxCtfe0Ztb.jpg

While this is how I would have to adjust it to get my weekend sins in:

http://www.fliptrack.com/photos/bN/nbNyogUNA9zwqBUADmlkd.jpg

So everyday of the week except for the weekend I have a calorie deficit....not exactly ideal on a bulk.....

monkeyarms
08-16-2007, 06:52 PM
:: bump ::

Built
08-16-2007, 07:07 PM
You could go that route, but your gains wouldn't be as significant as just 500 (give or take) below maintenance M-F. Compensating for five days to make up for two would limit your progress.

He's cutting. He's not gonna make a whole lotta gains. That being said...

To the OP - I can't see why you'd WANT to do this, but I'm sure it would "work". It's gotta impact your training if you're hungry all the time though.

Those are some low-ass calories. I diet on more food than you're planning for your week.

Maybe if you basically PSMF during the week... ?

<shudders>

greekboy80
08-17-2007, 07:48 AM
He's cutting. He's not gonna make a whole lotta gains. That being said...

To the OP - I can't see why you'd WANT to do this, but I'm sure it would "work". It's gotta impact your training if you're hungry all the time though.

Those are some low-ass calories. I diet on more food than you're planning for your week.

Maybe if you basically PSMF during the week... ?

<shudders>

I dont think the're that low....I'm cutting and I eat about the same(a little less) and I'm around 200 lbs. I cant lose weight unless I'm under 2500 per day. I bulk around 3,000. I have a family history of SLOW metabolism. My mom is in her late 50's and the doctors have told her that if she wanted to lose weight that she would have to eat under 900 cals per day because of her slow metabolism.

The more I learn, is that its all abot your genetics. Find out what works for you, and do it well.

ddegroff
08-17-2007, 03:18 PM

Sure this would work. I've been doing it for the past 6wks or so. Mine isn't nearly as planned out as your's seems though. I usually ate more on lifting days, less on days off.

Built
08-17-2007, 03:31 PM
I dont think the're that low....I'm cutting and I eat about the same(a little less) and I'm around 200 lbs. I cant lose weight unless I'm under 2500 per day. I bulk around 3,000. I have a family history of SLOW metabolism. My mom is in her late 50's and the doctors have told her that if she wanted to lose weight that she would have to eat under 900 cals per day because of her slow metabolism.

The more I learn, is that its all abot your genetics. Find out what works for you, and do it well.

900 calories is too friggin' low. She needs to have her TSH checked along with her free T3 and free T4, ferritin and antibodies.

Her doctor is a freaking idiot if he didn't check these already.

RCASEYH
08-17-2007, 04:18 PM
900 calories is too friggin' low. She needs to have her TSH checked along with her free T3 and free T4, ferritin and antibodies.

Her doctor is a freaking idiot if he didn't check these already.

:withstupi

In addition, even a bed-ridden / comatose patient generally needs more calories than that to just sustain metabolic function for an indefinite period of time. YIKES, the guy sounds like a quack.