PDA

View Full Version : Hit lifting goal #2, I am now tough.

smokinHawk
08-15-2007, 07:34 AM
lifting goal #1 was for me to do double my bodyweight for a single, I got that when I was 18, weighing 137 and benched 265.
when I did that one guy at the gym told me "ya your tough if you can bench double your body weight...............................TEN TIMES"
so that was goal #2
finally about 10 years later I did it, I have been working hard on my sets of ten as I get a good chest and power workout from them, I have gotten close a few times but was always a bit away, managed to do 330x10 a few times at 175lb bw, and even a 170lb bw, but i have been dropping weight lately and yesterday weighed myself at the gym before i worked out and weighed 165lbs.
I was pretty confident I could pound out ten reps for the 330 weight I was doing, took allot of effort but managed to do the first set of all ten reps, then subsequent sets i got 9 reps.

goal number 3 is 3X bodyweight, raw of coarse.

Guido
08-15-2007, 07:38 AM
What would be more impressive would be DEADLIFTING 3xBW for 10. THEN you'd be tough.

waynedang
08-15-2007, 08:16 AM
Wow that is great!

smokinHawk
08-15-2007, 08:24 AM
What would be more impressive would be DEADLIFTING 3xBW for 10. THEN you'd be tough.
ya that would, im just trying for 3X deadlift for a single first.

Wow that is great!
thanks.

WillKuenzel
08-15-2007, 08:52 AM
Wow, impressive.

redFury
08-15-2007, 08:54 AM
Thats great man... you've made great progress on your lifting!

IZich
08-15-2007, 10:45 AM
Freaking unbelievable Smokin... freaking unbelievable. Do you have a journal? What major programs were you on to progress from 2x BW to 2xBWx10?

smokinHawk
08-15-2007, 11:19 AM
thanks guys.
been a long road, lot of effort, few injuries, and overcoming of those injuries, and little missed workouts on bench.

programs or routines are mine, figuring out how hard i could push myself effectively
I started out at 13 doing 10 reps of 10 sets of bench every other day (did other exercises too, but we will just talk about bench), did that for about a year, then cut it down to benching 10x10 twice a week once the weight started to get heavier. Did that till I was around 17 and did 10x10 once a week, started to pick up skull crushers and other work on my tries on my off day onces a week for arms.
when i was 18 I hit 2x my body weight for a single 275@137, think i cut down my sets to 5 for 10 reps and occationally did heavy doulbles and singles after my working sets, somewhere around 18-19yrs old . as i had a couple of shoulder injuries and figured i was pushing myself to much. from 19-27 i maintained my lifts around a 330-340 max weighing 155-165 because i was going to school part time with working 45-50 hours a week. Also had a motorcycle accident that hurt my shoulder which took me about 6-8 months to get back where i was at (couldnt raise my right arm by its self for a month)
at 27 started to (last year after i finished my BSME) I had more time again to focus (hurt my elbow which slowed me down a little) I started to do more singles and doubles so i cut my working sets down to 4 sets of 10 reps, then 3 sets of 10 reps and allot more triples doubles and singles, in paused, strict and cheat forms. and recently added 2 and 3 board presses. for my off day I also have been concentrating on my tricep strength going heavier on my skull crushers and sometimes doing CG speed benching

and i put my journal in my sig now.

IZich
08-15-2007, 11:21 AM
Oh my God. 10x10 all the way up to 2xBW? And 10 rep sets all the way to today? Totally unconventional, and great job.

I bet you could tell me a TON about my bench press form. Can you take a look at the other thread here with my video? Please critique me to high heaven bro.