PDA

View Full Version : bulk gains / cut losses

Phightins
08-15-2007, 10:57 AM
I am relatively new to this and have done a lot of research and still have a few gaps was hoping you guys could fill:

I am 6-4 about 205 lbs right now with about 23% body fat which is pretty terrible - acout a 2 months ago i started dieting and doing a lot of cardio and lifting to burn off fat I got down to about 191 lbs - but at the same time I had little muscle - The last 2 months I have been eating clean and trying to bulk up because i figure either way its better if i have a good solid foundation of muscle mass to burn my calories. I am currently eating clean , taking whey , weight gainer (half a serving before my workout and half a serving after my workout) and creatine - I am getting around 4000 calories a day - I am definately putting on muscle mass but I am definately puting on a little fat too - I am around 205 206 now and was hoping to get up around 215 and by then figure I will have more muscle mass - and some fat - probably only 1 or 2% lower body fat- maybge even the same -

1. At what point do you suggest I start cutting down? I def would like to do it within the next 2 months as I dont want my fat % to get any higher..

2. when i cut - am i basically just going to hit up 30/60/10 carbs proteiin fat?

3. As far as exercise - I dont mind going all out every night - is it safe to lift 3 days a week while maintaining my high protein diet and do some HIT Cardio aftewards?

I am afraid this will cut into my muscles - how can i Find the correct balance?

4. If it is basically unavoidable to lose muscle during a cut phase? can I expect to lose more fat than muscle? and how much MUSCLE should I expect to lose?

IZich
08-15-2007, 11:06 AM
1. At what point do you suggest I start cutting down? I def would like to do it within the next 2 months as I dont want my fat % to get any higher..

2. when i cut - am i basically just going to hit up 30/60/10 carbs proteiin fat?

3. As far as exercise - I dont mind going all out every night - is it safe to lift 3 days a week while maintaining my high protein diet and do some HIT Cardio aftewards?

4. If it is basically unavoidable to lose muscle during a cut phase? can I expect to lose more fat than muscle? and how much MUSCLE should I expect to lose?

1. 20+% is pretty high. However on a good cut, that number should fall quickly. I can't give you a number, but when you feel like you are so fat that you can't stand it, just cut.

2. There are many different macro-schemes that people use to cut. Some popular ones are UD2.0, ketogenic, IF (I'm on it and would recommend it to you. PM me if you want more information), or the iso diet. There should be loads of information for each of these if you search.

3. 3 hard days a week is perfectly fine. I would advise doing cardio on days you aren't lifting hard as a sorta active recovery, but doing it right after a WO is great too. You shouldn't worry about cutting your muscle with that high amount of fat. As long as you are lifting hard, your muscle fibers will be stimulated and may even grow. It takes a LOT of cardio to remove muscle at your fat %.

4. It really depends on how low a caloric deficit you go. 205lbs, 6'+ and 20+% is pretty high, so unfortunately I wouldn't know how much LBM you have under there. If I were you, I'd focus on lifting hard to maintain whatever you have and cut the fat ASAP. Since you have only about ~160lbs of LBM, my guess is that you wouldn't lose too much of that if you cut sensibly (<1000 cals a day deficit at your level).

Hope these answered your Q's. Best of luck.

KingWilder
08-15-2007, 11:08 AM
I am relatively new to this and have done a lot of research and still have a few gaps was hoping you guys could fill:

I am 6-4 about 205 lbs right now with about 23% body fat which is pretty terrible - acout a 2 months ago i started dieting and doing a lot of cardio and lifting to burn off fat I got down to about 191 lbs - but at the same time I had little muscle - The last 2 months I have been eating clean and trying to bulk up because i figure either way its better if i have a good solid foundation of muscle mass to burn my calories. I am currently eating clean , taking whey , weight gainer (half a serving before my workout and half a serving after my workout) and creatine - I am getting around 4000 calories a day - I am definately putting on muscle mass but I am definately puting on a little fat too - I am around 205 206 now and was hoping to get up around 215 and by then figure I will have more muscle mass - and some fat - probably only 1 or 2% lower body fat- maybge even the same -

then do it within the next 2 months...it really has to do with personal preference and when you start feeling too fat

Ratios are a horrible way to go about cutting. Make sure you get 1-1.5g per lb of Lean Body Mass (LBM) for protein and 0.5g per lb LBM of healthy fats...whatever calories you have left over can go to whatever you want.
When you decrease your calories from 4000 I would do it slowly..possibly by 100 calories a day until you are at 3500 and then ride that until you stop losing weight and repeat

I would NOT do HIIT after an intense lifting session. Either do it way earlier in the day or on a separate day altogether. You're only lifting 3 days a week, I'm sure you can throw in 1-2 HIIT session on a separate day. If you want to do some steady state cardio (cycling, jogging, incline walking) for 10-15mins after lifting that would be good.

This really is individualized...there are a ton of factors. As long as you are getting enough protein and only losing 1-2lbs a week you should spare as much muscle as possible

bold is my answer

also, what is your 3-day split currently?

Phightins
08-15-2007, 06:29 PM
My main concern is getting a bunch of muscle under all of this fat - I am somewhat of an ectomorph i guess - i can lose weight real easily if i am dieting and doing a lil cardio mixed in with my weight training - I think I will be able to burn off more fat if i can get a decent foundation of muscle first - I had originally set a goal of weight to get up around 215 before i started to cut - but that may be too much since my BF % is pretty high -

Currently my split up looks like

Day
1: chest
2.rest
3: back/bis
4.rest
4. shoulders/tris
5. legs
6. chest
7.rest

any suggestions to alter on that kingwilder?

I would imagine probablay in about a month I will start to cut down - is the idea something like this?

Bulk cycle - maintain or slightly gain bf%
Cut- lose a higher percentage of fat than was put on during the bulk
repeat -

but at what point do I cut out and decide to start bulking again - i guess when i feel like it? or feel like i might be losing a bit of muscle?

Phightins
08-15-2007, 06:34 PM
Can you tell me more about those macro scheme cut cycles, i dont think i can message you until I have more posts on here..