PDA

View Full Version : Repost: ME Bench Critique

IZich
08-15-2007, 11:16 AM
Hey big boys, I decided to repost because I'm scared this is the only sub-forum you guys visit!

Anyway here's my failure vid of 305x1. Any suggestions on how to fix my elbows? I think that I might not be practicing benching with my elbows in or something.

Also, hows my feet placement? I like the feel of driving through the balls of the feet, but do I need a wider stance for better stability?

Thanks brethren!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqTDSbbMLZM

TommyBoy
08-15-2007, 11:39 AM
Buddy, your form looks pretty damn good to me. Your arch is even better than mine, but as you bench more you'll be able to arch even more. Elbows seem to be going in well. All I recommend is strengthening your lats/upper back and triceps.

Once your speed gets better, you'll be able to fire quicker. Then the lat strength will help stabilize the bar and the triceps will help lock it out. You seem to have a definite sticking point. I suggest measuring where your sticking point is (in inches) then getting some boards to overcome that sticking point (i.e. if your sticking point is 3" off the chest, do more 3board work).

Bako Lifter
08-15-2007, 11:41 AM
You got those shoulders pinched back as much as you can?

IZich
08-15-2007, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the comments guys. I'll keep my shoulders pinned back more and work with some boards for the sticking point.

Sidior
08-15-2007, 12:19 PM
As mentioned try and pin those shoulders to the bench, maybe try pressing yourself into the bench (away from the bar) before you unrack. Also do you plan to use a shirt? If not try and pause your raw ME work so it is comp legal.

Real strong man!

Stumprrp
08-15-2007, 01:10 PM
looking very good, try to learn leg drive, ive learned it and its deadly however keep the butt down i notice mine is coming up

IZich
08-15-2007, 02:24 PM
Thanks Stump and Sidior.

Yeah I'm looking to be raw for the foreseeable future; I'll practice pause repping and the leg drive.

Thanks everyone, the advice is helping a lot - I knew I could count on you guys.

vdizenzo
08-15-2007, 02:38 PM
Try getting your feet out a little wider and get on your heels. When the bar hits your chest drive through your heels. Learning to bench off your toes takes a while. You have no leg drive or pop in your bench. Work your speed bench and lat strength.

Updated training journal
www.geocities.com/vincentdizenzo

RhodeHouse
08-15-2007, 02:42 PM
1. When you pinch your shoulders together, you need to roll them back underneath you. Opposite of shrugging them.

2. Elbows need to be a little more tucked. You use no lat power with your technique.

3. Military Presses and Heavy Rows should be your best friend. Your back is weak.

4. You're very loose on the bench. Watch vdizenzo's 600 bench from June. He trained raw for 12 weeks. Watch his set-up and how tight he is on the bench. If you're comfortable on the bench, you're not tight enough.

5. EAT SOMETHING! When training raw, mass moves mass. You gain weight and your bench will go up.

Keep working hard, bro.

Ryano
08-15-2007, 02:57 PM
I applaud the fact that you posted a failed lift. Most people won't do that. They post a good lift and ask for a critique. I think you may benefit from getting up on your traps during setup to decrease your ROM. Your feet should probably be wider to give you more stability. Altho I've seen really good benchers with a setup like yours. You just need to be wide enough so that your butt doesn't come up. Your feet slip during the lift so you're not driving your heels straight down. Drive the heels toward the floor. Like the others have said, work your weak points to get stronger. I'm an 'old fat guy' that lifts strictly in gear, but I think this might help you. Good luck. Roger Ryan

IZich
08-15-2007, 04:01 PM
Wow these last 3 posts are great. Thanks for the honesty - I feel very small when looking at all of your vids and technique. Vincent, your videos and journal are amazing and I'm gonna analyze every aspect of your lift.

I'll start working on more back strength and driving through my heels instead of the balls of my feet. Can you talk about a little bit more about the "pop" off of the bench? That's the first time I've heard that term used for something other than olympic lifts.

I'll be sure to post more videos later on after working on my weaknesses.

Bob
08-15-2007, 05:05 PM
IZich... those indeed are some great posts by some great BP'ers...
I think you have comments from at least 4 guys who can BP over 600 lbs...
That might be a record in a WBB thread... that's pretty cool...

IZich
08-15-2007, 05:12 PM
IZich... those indeed are some great posts by some great BP'ers...
I think you have comments from at least 4 guys who can BP over 600 lbs...
That might be a record in a WBB thread... that's pretty cool...

Seriously... like a hall of heroes.

waynedang
08-15-2007, 05:26 PM
looking very good, try to learn leg drive, ive learned it and its deadly however keep the butt down i notice mine is coming up

Get your feet under you more and wider. If you do this it can't come up.

minotaur70
08-15-2007, 06:09 PM
some great posts here- great thread.

WillKuenzel
08-15-2007, 06:12 PM
Without reiterating what has already been said, it looked like you were a bit slow off the chest. More speed work, with a tighter set up. You started wobbling all over the place. Like it was mentioned get tighter on the bench. More tricep work to bring up the lock out.

But everything I mentioned is just because everybody else has already covered the basics. Do those first then get to the rest.

RhodeHouse
08-16-2007, 11:52 AM
I agree with Ryano about the weak points. But, I would approach it as if EVERYTHING is weak. When you focus on a weak point, you tend to neglect something that you may consider a strong point, thus, creating a new weal point. Just train everything hard and you'll make progress. Keep posting your videos. It's easier to critique your progress. SFW!

Guido
08-16-2007, 01:56 PM
I have nothing new to add, but I'm going to take some of these pointers to help me with MY bench. Some very good info. And listen to Ryano, he knows what the hell he's talking about (first guy over 50 to bench over 700lbs). Actually, all of these guys do.

Ryano
08-16-2007, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the props, Guido, but Randy Patterson was the 1st guy >50 to bench 700. I was the 2nd.

Guido
08-17-2007, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the props, Guido, but Randy Patterson was the 1st guy >50 to bench 700. I was the 2nd.Oops. But you hold the record now, right?

Ryano
08-17-2007, 02:59 PM
Oops. But you hold the record now, right?

I have the highest bench for >50 with a 322.5Kg, which I will hopefully break at Carps UPA meet on Sept 1st.:thumbup: