PDA

View Full Version : Finish this conversation

Questor
08-15-2007, 01:45 PM
I had this conversation with a coworker who is obese. He has tried several speciality diets and pills and failed to loose his weight. As you can see, the conversation was interrupted.

If you are bored, see if you can help me out and finish Person A's point.

Questor (2:10 PM) - yeah and she's not working out anymore
Questor (2:11 PM) - She hasn't for a week now
Questor (2:11 PM) - and i caught her eating toaster pastries the other day
Questor (2:11 PM) - I was devastated
Person A (2:12 PM) - why were you devastated?
Questor (2:16 PM) - Because that toaster pastry was 37g of carbs, 20 of which are sugar. Looks to me like she's not going to stick to her goals. Which means she's going to be another, "set goals and not work hard on achieving them, then give up"
Questor (2:18 PM) - now she'll continue being overweight and complaining about her expanding waistline and complaining about how she can't do anythign about it, when in fact she could, if she'd just put down the toaster pastries and pick up a weight.
Person A (2:19 PM) - wow, it sure sounds easy
Questor (2:19 PM) - It is it just takes patience and will power.
Person A (2:19 PM) - ahh, is that it?
Questor (2:20 PM) - patience to let the work take several years, because it won't be done in a month or even a season. will power to eat right and workout even while tired.
Person A (2:20 PM) - so, why do 95% of people fail to lose weight?
Questor (2:21 PM) - Lack of patience and lack of will power.
Person A (2:21 PM) - so, is it that rare?
Questor (2:22 PM) - I don't know percentages or ratios of commonality. But I know why people fail, and I know why people succeed. Granted there is going to be a deviant % which have a thyroid issue or what not. But that % will be small
Person A (2:22 PM) - sure
Person A (2:22 PM) - so, why do people fail? lack of will power and patience?
Person A (2:23 PM) - that means a lot of people have no will.
Questor (2:23 PM) - A lot of people have a lack of will, and a lot of people have a lack of patience.
Questor (2:23 PM) - There is also the case that people say they don't have time. This is lack of will.
Questor (2:24 PM) - It is marvelously simple
Person A (2:24 PM) - amazingly
Questor (2:24 PM) - Books and special diets and pills of all kinds complicate it
Questor (2:25 PM) - The simple fact is the law of thermodynamics. Matter and energy cannot be spontaneously created or destroyed. They can only be exchanged.
Questor (2:25 PM) - Fat is potential energy.
Questor (2:25 PM) - If you burn more calories than you eat, then you must be releasing calories from flesh.
Questor (2:26 PM) - If you eat more calories than you burn, it will be stored as flesh.
Questor (2:26 PM) - That simple.
Person A (2:26 PM) - sure it is
Person A (2:26 PM) - if only losing weight was as simple a job as you paint it
Questor (2:26 PM) - It is exactly that simple. But that is not to say it is EASY
Questor (2:26 PM) - It is HARD to have the will power and patience.
Person A (2:27 PM) - and the fact there are no other factors....wow
Questor (2:28 PM) - Your metabolism will make burning calories easier or harder. But not more complicated.
Questor (2:28 PM) - You are mocking me, Person A
Questor (2:28 PM) - And I know it
Person A (2:28 PM) - of course I am
Person A (2:29 PM) - you are presenting weight loss in a vacuum
Person A (2:29 PM) - there are no other considerations
Person A (2:29 PM) - no other factors
Questor (2:29 PM) - I challenge you to prove me wrong. Follow WBB I for a year, and reduce your calorie intake below your maintenance calories, and PROVE ME WRONG.
Person A (2:29 PM) - of course that would work. I have said the same and known it for years
Questor (2:29 PM) - There you go then
Person A (2:29 PM) - but you are eliminating the most important factor
Questor (2:30 PM) - What?
Person A (2:30 PM) - oh, time to go. c ya

Cirino83
08-15-2007, 02:31 PM
Person A) I'm a lazy **** and would rather find reasons why diets don't work than to actually put in effort.

Ramstein85
08-16-2007, 04:37 PM
WTf? sad but true:withstupi

VikingWarlord
08-16-2007, 05:14 PM
Person A) I'm a lazy **** and would rather find reasons why diets don't work than to actually put in effort.

Pretty much.

That person's a lost cause. Forget it. Don't waste time on someone that will immediately give you reasons it can't be done and spend your time doing it.

Built
08-16-2007, 05:16 PM
The most important factor is the application of how the process works. In other words a plan - but not just any plan: in order for a plan to work, it has to hinge upon simple facts that are virtually unheard-of outside our little BB microcosm.

Most people fail because they don't understand the process; they don't know the difference between fat loss and weight loss, and they don't get the correct information from the professionals who ought to know how to guide them.

You know what I hear the PTs at my gym saying to clients regarding diet?

"Focus on healthy choices".

How the hell does THAT help? I got really fat on "healthy food": I ate too much of it. It IS calories in and calories out, but you need strategy:

1. You need to figure out a way to under-eat and not mind. Most of us here know that means sufficient protein, fat and fibre, possibly nutrient timing and supplementation, and not too much of a caloric deficit.
2. You need to convince the body to hang onto the metabolically expensive muscle it would much, MUCH rather ditch when resources are low. Again, most of us here know that means running a modest caloric deficit while consuming sufficient protein and fat to protect LBM while the body is under the oxidative stress due to a self-imposed famine, and heavy lifting to further convince the body of that pesky LBM's worth.

I have yet to hear a PT or even a registered dietician explain this simple process in these terms.

Ramstein85
08-16-2007, 06:24 PM
1. You need to figure out a way to under-eat and not mind. Most of us here know that means sufficient protein, fat and fibre, possibly nutrient timing and supplementation, and not too much of a caloric deficit.
2. You need to convince the body to hang onto the metabolically expensive muscle it would much, MUCH rather ditch when resources are low. Again, most of us here know that means running a modest caloric deficit while consuming sufficient protein and fat to protect LBM while the body is under the oxidative stress due to a self-imposed famine, and heavy lifting to further convince the body of that pesky LBM's worth.

I have yet to hear a PT or even a registered dietician explain this simple process in these terms.

Thanks for the info, didnt know that :thumbup: it will help me when i wanna 'cut'

Built
08-16-2007, 06:52 PM
Spread the word.

The life you save may be yours. ;)