PDA

View Full Version : converse

jim2lift
08-16-2007, 10:57 PM
Are Converse basketball shoes good for weightlifting?I've heard there good for deadlifts.

nhlfan
08-16-2007, 11:04 PM
converse chuck taylors have flat soles, which is a good thing for lifting.

Rusty
08-17-2007, 06:35 AM
Are Converse basketball shoes good for weightlifting?I've heard there good for deadlifts.

Yes!

Hard flat soles = good

NateDogg
08-17-2007, 06:54 AM
This is what I always thought too. I either lift barefoot (at home) or in Chuck's. However, this thread it making me rethink: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=98548

Not to go out and get squishy cross trainers, but something solid as I do have some flexibility issues.

Thoughts? Not that we need the same discussion in two threads. Maybe make a new lifting shoe thread?

NateDogg

Rusty
08-17-2007, 07:34 AM
As long as the sole is fairly hard than there's nothing wrong with a little lift in the heels like seen with those weightlifting shoes. That being said, I'll stick with my chucks.

Sidior
08-17-2007, 09:25 AM
This is what I always thought too. I either lift barefoot (at home) or in Chuck's. However, this thread it making me rethink: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=98548

Not to go out and get squishy cross trainers, but something solid as I do have some flexibility issues.

Thoughts? Not that we need the same discussion in two threads. Maybe make a new lifting shoe thread?

NateDogg

Oly shoes are great if you squat narrow and deep (IPF standards). Some conventional pullers also like them. I would not recommend them for wide stance squatting (especially if you spread the floor) as you will have a tendency to roll your feet over the side of the shoe, same goes for pulling sumo.

Guido
08-17-2007, 09:31 AM
I love Chucks for squatting. I use deadlift slippers for DLin'g, though. They have thinner soles.

NateDogg
08-17-2007, 09:44 AM
Good stuff, thanks guys.

redFury
08-17-2007, 11:14 AM
I definitely love chucks for powerlifting squatting. For front squats and Oly lifts I prefer having a bit of a heel.

IZich
08-17-2007, 02:50 PM
Does anyone have experience with lifting in Nike Free's? I heard them being mentioned here and there over on Elite FTS articles and was curious if you guys had any advice on those.

Sleepy Guy
08-17-2007, 07:13 PM
Ironically enough I buy training shoes at the bay. They have summer shoes that have next to no sole nor heel.

teenathlete3030
08-18-2007, 08:41 AM
I have the Nike Free 7.0s and they work great. They are very flexible, and maybe "squishy" to some, but the whole purpose is to help gain benefits of training barefoot. I set a huge PR in the power clean with these, and the good thing is that you can also use the shoes for any other type of sports training.

Chubrock
08-18-2007, 08:45 AM
I've thought about picking up some Nike Frees to pull in. I currently pull barefoot in socks. Took me forever to find some socks with grip on the bottom.

TwiloMike
08-18-2007, 01:45 PM
I love Chucks for squatting. I use deadlift slippers for DLin'g, though. They have thinner soles.

Ruby deadlift slippers? ;)

I wear Chucks on my leg days and they seem to be fine.

minotaur70
08-24-2007, 08:13 PM
Does anyone have experience with lifting in Nike Free's? I heard them being mentioned here and there over on Elite FTS articles and was curious if you guys had any advice on those.

I have nike free 7 also- I train in then, but not for squat or dead- I wear chuck taylors for anything resembling a squat or dead.

noahfor123
08-28-2007, 02:15 PM
Does anyone know how converse Chucks fit? Are they true to size or not? Is there a difference between the high and low varieties?

TommyBoy
08-28-2007, 02:24 PM
Does anyone know how converse Chucks fit? Are they true to size or not? Is there a difference between the high and low varieties?
I wear a size 13 shoe, and I wear a size 11 in Chuck's. I wear Chuck's for all 3lifts. I used to wear OL shoes for squats, but they didn't do it for me. Chuck's FTW.

Sensei
08-28-2007, 02:38 PM
I love my Adidas Olympic Weightlifting shoes for squatting. I've always worn either a wrestling shoe or Chucks for deadlifting and like them a lot.

I used to wear Chucks for squatting and lately, I've been wearing them again when I do kettlebell work - I like them a lot more now than I used to and I'll probably give them another shot for squatting when I get back into PL.

Guido
08-28-2007, 03:39 PM
Ruby deadlift slippers? ;)

I wear Chucks on my leg days and they seem to be fine.Nah, just regular ole' black. :p

IZich
08-28-2007, 03:46 PM
I have nike free 7 also- I train in then, but not for squat or dead- I wear chuck taylors for anything resembling a squat or dead.

So Mino - you have both, but you prefer the chucks over the frees for squat/DL work? My goal is to find a shoe that works best for both - I already have "cool" shoes for outside-the-gym use.