PDA

View Full Version : Post workout meal questions

Phenom
08-17-2007, 02:20 PM
After my workout I always drink a weightgainer shake with milk which comes out to about 1025 calories, but I've always read that after your post workout protein shake it's good to eat some solid food shortly after. What's the reason for needing the food after your protein shake? Is it because of the extra calories since whey protein shakes are typically pretty low in calories, or is it because it's good to give your body solid food to break down and digest?

Basically I'm just wondering if solid food is needed shortly after a 1025 calorie shake?

Thanks

yamirider
08-17-2007, 02:44 PM
I read an article on t-nation.com that said right after your workout you should have a weight gainer shake.....like you already do. It then said that about an hour later you should have a solid food meal with complex carbs, protein, and good fats. Then another meal about 40 minutes later.....let me try to find that article for ya.

Holto
08-17-2007, 02:50 PM
I think a lot of it comes down to convenience. I'm hungry enough to need two meals but would find it difficult to eat two solid meals. So I drink one and have a solid one shortly after.

Outshine
08-18-2007, 09:28 AM
I read an article on t-nation.com that said right after your workout you should have a weight gainer shake.....like you already do. It then said that about an hour later you should have a solid food meal with complex carbs, protein, and good fats. Then another meal about 40 minutes later.....let me try to find that article for ya.

Every article you read on t-nation will say you should have some kind (well, specifically THEIR kind) of shake/supplement before, after, during, in the shower before, in the shower after, while putting on your gym shorts, on the car ride to the gym, and really every second of every day in every possible situation.

But yeah, a protein/carb shake post workout is ideal, followed by a solid food meal an hour or so later.

Stumprrp
08-18-2007, 09:46 AM
i actually prefer eating a meal after workout, but i most of the time have a small shake then food.