PDA

View Full Version : What gym lifts.........

benchaholic777
08-18-2007, 02:21 PM
........would you do if you were training for a strongman competion but didn't have any of the equipment?

Paul Stagg
08-18-2007, 02:28 PM
I'd get some equipment.

As far as the gym, the usual stuff, plus some odd lifts that might mimic what you might see in a competition: fat bar stuff, farmer's walks, etc.

Bob
08-18-2007, 03:05 PM
Definitely anything with a fat bar.. or you can buy some great fat grips called Tyler Grips (www.tylergrip.com)... and use them on any bar, DB, BB.. DL'ing with fat grips will make you humble.. so will Farmer's walks with DBs that have the fat grips on them

DL'ing, Squating and OverHead Pressing... are all key to strongman events...

OH Pressing with Heavy DBs is great too for log pressing.. and some strongman comps will have single arm heavy DB pressing.

This years strongman nationals will have a Kettlebell event.. I'm sure it's a very heavy KB too..

Anything that works the core heavy is great... OH Squats, heavy DB side bends,

Does your gym have heavy medicine balls or Sandbags?

OL'ing is great for the explosive needs of strongman and highlander games...

and there is an online video of how to train for Atlas stones with plates and an old BB sleeve: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTNKg_TGmEY

And another way to train grip is to do static hangs.. the great Jouko Ahola used to train this way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MagKuk5wVWI

GL and have fun...
I do a lot of indoor, outdoor, traditional and non-traditional strongman training.. there is nothing that is so fun and exciting...
And remember... you can always just go look for something heavy to lift.. stones, concrete slabs, trees, etc... odd lifting is what it is all about...

vdizenzo
08-18-2007, 03:06 PM
Great advice bearwolf.

benchaholic777
08-18-2007, 04:08 PM
bearwolf I tried the link on tylergrips and it didn't work. I did a search as well and couldn't find anything. Do you have another link?

waynedang
08-18-2007, 05:55 PM
Try this
http://www.tylergrip.com/

waynedang
08-18-2007, 07:08 PM
I have not seen the tyler grips. If anyone has any aare they hard like a plastic or soft? I would think if they were soft you could make some out of some pipe wrap.

Bob
08-18-2007, 07:52 PM
I've got some Wayne... I got the recommendation from a strongman gym around Boston called TPS.. kinda of a famous strongman trainer name CJ Murphy.. "murph"..

They are solid rubber like... not really soft.. but they allow you to squeeze really hard for the grip...

2 greats things about them..
.. they are cone-ish in circumfence.. so that you can use them one way for a 2 1/4 inch grip... or turn them around for an almost 3 inch grip...
.. the other thing is that they are so easy to get on & off a bar... takes about 4 secs to switch between a set of DBs... great when you working out with someone of a different grip strength level.. or just in general for taking on/off the bar..

Highly recommended...

Screwtape!
08-19-2007, 12:42 AM
Zercher lifts seem like a good exercise to train for rock/ barrel lifts.

Sensei
08-19-2007, 07:04 AM
Definitely anything with a fat bar.. or you can buy some great fat grips called Tyler Grips (www.tylergrip.com)... and use them on any bar, DB, BB.. DL'ing with fat grips will make you humble.. so will Farmer's walks with DBs that have the fat grips on them
I remember an old PLUSA video mag w. an old-timer using garden hose (or it might have been PVC, I can't remember for sure) cut down the middle so that it can be snapped over the bar. Haven't tried it, but it always seemed like a good idea.

waynedang
08-19-2007, 08:08 AM
I remember an old PLUSA video mag w. an old-timer using garden hose (or it might have been PVC, I can't remember for sure) cut down the middle so that it can be snapped over the bar. Haven't tried it, but it always seemed like a good idea.

That is exactly what i was thinking. I'm sort of a tight a** so I was looking for a cheap way to do it.

Lones Green
08-19-2007, 03:36 PM
That is exactly what i was thinking. I'm sort of a tight a** so I was looking for a cheap way to do it.

haha yeah, me too. i think garden hose would probably work pretty well. good call, i'd like to start training with these.