PDA

View Full Version : Dropping fat for sports/increasing strength and speed

Itsnotaboutme
08-18-2007, 10:29 PM
Okay I'm about 6' and I weigh 205. Also I'm 15. I play football and baseball. For a while I have been telling myself that I'm decently strong and it will be fine, but it all culminated for me yesterday. I was at a friends house and we where messing around in the pool and I was completely outmatched. I was getting pushed around and that didn't feel to good. Then we went out and where played man hunt. No one wanted me on their team because I'm slow. 9'6 60yd dash slow. I was ages behind everyone else. I couldn't jump over the fences that my friends where. And it just pissed the hell out of me. I do decent in baseball and football. I'm not amazing, but I work hard. I just have a pesky gut in the way.

So my question is how can I increase my overall body strength/running while also dropping bodyfat?

I lift about 5 days a week in the morning before school, and I then I have football practice afterwards. I started seriously lifting about a week and a half ago. Before that I had been doing about 3 days a week doing bench, squat, box squat, cleans, and deadlifts.

My diet looks something like this

breakfast:
protein shake before and after my lift
protein bar for "breakfast" before I go to school

Lunch:
A sandwich on white bread- it alternates between turkey, ham, and roast beef
water
a small bag of doritoes
4 oreos (my mom packs my lunch...)

protein shake after football.

dinner: :burger:
varies to much to really pin down.

note I try to drink about 200 oz of water a day. I heard that you should drink your body weight in oz everyday.

I have about an hour or so to lift in the morning.

Any advice, help, or encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

Bako Lifter
08-18-2007, 10:41 PM
www.crossfit.com

Leeman
08-19-2007, 12:07 AM
Build a sled and drag it around for cardio, a better squat, deadlift and some serious football pushing strength.

nhlfan
08-19-2007, 01:24 AM
get that diet in check. doritos and oreos have to go.

teenathlete3030
08-19-2007, 06:30 AM
Add in speed/agility/mobility/plyo work. Not only will it help transfer some of your strength into the ground, better feet, quicker, etc. but it can be quite a calorie burning workout as well.

Al3X
08-19-2007, 08:53 AM
Losing that gut is about the diet. All you can do to assist is train hard. As in your speed teenathlete3030 said it best, "Add in speed/agility/mobility/plyo work. Not only will it help transfer some of your strength into the ground, better feet, quicker, etc. but it can be quite a calorie burning workout as well."

Itsnotaboutme
08-19-2007, 11:05 AM
Alright thanks guys. The doritoes and oreos are definately on the way out. As far as building a sled do you have any advice?

teenathlete3030
08-22-2007, 10:11 AM
If you're gonna use a sled, make sure you do some research on how to do it right. There's many ways people can use them, and not all are beneficial. As said earlier check out crossfit too.

schmitty199
09-03-2007, 07:55 PM
Alright thanks guys. The doritoes and oreos are definately on the way out. As far as building a sled do you have any advice?

Get a tire, a rope, and a weightlifting belt.

Tie the rope to the tire, about 7 yards of slack then tied the other end to the weightlifting belt. Works like a champ.