PDA

View Full Version : Fasting What are the health benefits?

ilovemtl
08-19-2007, 10:15 AM
So I was speaking to my aunt yesterday and she suggested that I fast for a day; said it would cleanse my digestive system and is very good for me. So I am curious if anybody knows the health benefit of fasting?

mickyjune26
08-19-2007, 10:30 AM
I"m also interested in this concept. I have been fasting once a month for about 18 hours.

getfit
08-19-2007, 10:43 AM
this is what i found when i googled it.I read through a little of it.

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/biology/b103/f02/web1/wcarroll.html

BBB
08-19-2007, 02:54 PM
They are similar to the health benefits of caloric restriction.

Ramstein85
08-19-2007, 02:58 PM
So I was speaking to my aunt yesterday and she suggested that I fast for a day; said it would cleanse my digestive system and is very good for me. So I am curious if anybody knows the health benefit of fasting?

Meh, Ramadan (Muslim holy month) coming up, ill be fasting for a month. But fear not when we break our fast each day i usually eat like a beast. Which means i might actually put on weight during this month. Gonna screw up with my working out though. It means i gotta wake up before sunrise workout, eat, go sleep then nothing til dusk :o Not sure as to th health benefits though i ve been doing it every year since i was 15

Alex.V
08-19-2007, 03:27 PM
So I am curious if anybody knows the health benefit of fasting?

None documented (and proven) that I know of.

Spartan936
08-19-2007, 03:31 PM
What BBB and Belial said. It's not going to "cleanse" anything, and it's really not necessary. Caloric restriction will have the same effect, with the added benefit of not starving yourself.

BBB
08-19-2007, 08:07 PM
See "Alternate-day fasting and chonic disease prevention: a review of human and animal trials" by Varaday and Hellerstein in American Society for Nutrition 2007;86:7-13

It's a nice review of current research to date.

Decker87
08-19-2007, 08:24 PM
As Belial said, there are no proven results.

shazoo123
08-20-2007, 11:09 AM
Meh, Ramadan (Muslim holy month) coming up, ill be fasting for a month. But fear not when we break our fast each day i usually eat like a beast. Which means i might actually put on weight during this month. Gonna screw up with my working out though. It means i gotta wake up before sunrise workout, eat, go sleep then nothing til dusk :o Not sure as to th health benefits though i ve been doing it every year since i was 15

me too ramstein, im gonna be fasting during ramadaan as well. look into the IF diet. im gonna try to incorporate that into the month so i don't lose lots of weight or put on lots of fat. I've been fasting since like 4th grade, and now im in college, bout to be my second year. its always so tough without the rents.

ilovemtl
08-23-2007, 06:54 PM
They are similar to the health benefits of caloric restriction.

I guess you are right; the only difference would be that when you fast your digestive system might be given a real break.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-23-2007, 09:02 PM
What kind of break? Sometimes it takes days to digest something you ate a few days prior. You'd have to not eat for a week for that to give your digestion system a "break". But I wouldn't recommend not eating for a week, unless you're on some kind of religious fast or something.

Alex.V
08-23-2007, 09:40 PM
I guess you are right; the only difference would be that when you fast your digestive system might be given a real break.

I hear that heart attacks are a great way to give your cardiac muscles a break.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-23-2007, 09:42 PM
:zipit:

redFury
08-23-2007, 10:08 PM
What kind of break? Sometimes it takes days to digest something you ate a few days prior. You'd have to not eat for a week for that to give your digestion system a "break". But I wouldn't recommend not eating for a week, unless you're on some kind of religious fast or something.

I've gone on several 4-5 days fasts without food for religious reasons... I think its done nothing but great things for me. Might be the anti-placebo effect, but I always feel fantastic for about a week afterwards.

Howard 9
08-24-2007, 05:40 AM
Do you really think not eatting one day out of 365 a year will really help cleanse the body or take work off the digestive system? I don't know, you could try it though I know people who swear by it.

Con
08-24-2007, 06:17 AM
You can find people who will swear by anything.

pbal17
08-24-2007, 08:08 AM
i dont think i could hold true to a fast for an entire day

Bikkstah
08-24-2007, 09:29 AM
For Lent I usually only eat bread and water.

Edit; and tons of vitamins and ****. The first time I did it in high school I almost died of scurvy.

Holto
08-24-2007, 12:44 PM
According to some of the Naturopathic Dr's I've trained with the small intestine replenishes the (enterocytes???) every three days.

By fasting for a period of around 72 hours you are allowing that tissue to build up without it having to do any ohter work.

There is a condition called leaky gut where food enters the small intestine directly without being processed by an enterocyte. This happens to old people and causes pain in the hands etc...

Fasting is a cure for this.

Alex.V
08-24-2007, 01:04 PM
There is a condition called leaky gut where food enters the small intestine directly without being processed by an enterocyte. This happens to old people and causes pain in the hands etc...

Fasting is a cure for this.

Is this clinically proven?

Not disagreeing here at all, just making sure this is verifiable. If it is, this is extremely interesting.

Ramstein85
08-24-2007, 03:49 PM
me too ramstein, im gonna be fasting during ramadaan as well. look into the IF diet. im gonna try to incorporate that into the month so i don't lose lots of weight or put on lots of fat. I've been fasting since like 4th grade, and now im in college, bout to be my second year. its always so tough without the rents.

Hehe we will see HOW IT GOES. The thing is to resist the sweet tooth !!!

Al3X
08-24-2007, 05:23 PM
Just imagine stranded survivors in the desert... that are now rescued. Those could be the sources!

rLuc
08-24-2007, 05:41 PM
there is a really good thread about this on bb.com. Also, alan aragon has written about this. (I.F.)

It's not for me. I'm one of those weirdos who actually enjoys eating 6 meals a day. I don't find it inconvenient at all, really...

Holto
08-27-2007, 08:36 AM
Is this clinically proven?

Most clinical testing is to prove safety and efficacy to begin selling or increase sales of a particular product.

There is no product involved with this process. The service component could be anything from a nutritional therapist to a Naturopathic Dr.

In most cases, people that spend money on holistic health practitioners do so because they believe in the practice. Holistic health has existed for thousands of years and before penicillin it was more popular in the US than any other form of medicine.

So the question would be, how would holistic health benefit from proving the efficacy of something they have known about for thousands of years? Especially at such an exorbitant cost.

TonyCap
08-29-2007, 09:19 PM
I fast once or twice a year... afterwards, I really feel better. It helps my will power and self control.

Alex.V
08-29-2007, 09:32 PM
Most clinical testing is to prove safety and efficacy to begin selling or increase sales of a particular product.

There is no product involved with this process. The service component could be anything from a nutritional therapist to a Naturopathic Dr.

A good portion of funding is allocated towards grants not geared towards particular products. Your definition encompasses a good portion of clinical testing, but not all of it. There are quite a few foundations, government agencies, and product-RELATED research foundations that sponsor this kind of testing.

If you're arguing that holistic claims will never be clinically confirmed because there is no product involved, I'm sorry, but that's a load of bull****.

Holto
08-30-2007, 11:25 AM
There are quite a few foundations, government agencies, and product-RELATED research foundations that sponsor this kind of testing.

Can you link me to some of this data?

If you're arguing that holistic claims will never be clinically confirmed because there is no product involved, I'm sorry, but that's a load of bull****.

What would be the economic benefit for proving the benefits of fasting? Are people that know nothing about holistic health going to start paying practitioners?

I'm arguing that there is no single organization in holistic health that can afford to fund clinical testing. I don't know about the US but I am unaware of any such organization in Canada.