PDA

View Full Version : 4000 cals - (this isn't a 'this is so hard' thread)

mickyjune26
08-19-2007, 12:20 PM
I'm 6'7" starting a bulk at 4000 cals. I should put on 1 pound per week, easy on these cals.

I'm eating 1 g protein per lb. 215 g * 4 cals = 860 calories from protein. This makes my protein 25% of the total caloric intake.

Is this going to be okay? How should I split my remaining carb/fat %s?

45% carb and 30% fat?

RhodeHouse
08-19-2007, 12:24 PM
Stop over-thinking. Just eat! Get your protein up to 300 grams per day and fill in the rest with whatever.

Bako Lifter
08-19-2007, 12:31 PM
You're 6'7? Geeeeeeeeeeez.

I gain really fast on 4,000... so you might wanna watch out unless you already have experience bulking on that much.

And I'm with Rhodes, just eat! Protein and cals are the only thing I target, fats and carbs are what they are. Just watch the saturated fats if you're one of those healthy freaks, and get the carbs after you workout.

karlcrow
08-19-2007, 12:36 PM
If your an ectomorph you just eat all day so long its good food not junk. Some people are lucky to be mesomorphs so they are naturally big without the pain of eating all the time

mickyjune26
08-19-2007, 12:38 PM
Stop over-thinking. Just eat! Get your protein up to 300 grams per day and fill in the rest with whatever.

LOL - you're on to me. okay. I'm gonna go shopping and start eating.

I'm in the middle, concerning metabolism. I used to have a higher metabolism, but it's been slowing down in the last few years.

RhodeHouse
08-19-2007, 12:49 PM
How old are you? If you're younger than 40, your metabolism is fine. Eat this everyday.
1lb of beef
1 gallon of milk
6 whole eggs

The rest is whatever you want

karlcrow
08-19-2007, 12:51 PM
buy cashews, peanuts, fish oil omega 3, flaxseed oil refrigerated or its no good for you, chicken eggs,spinach,carrots,fruit,red peppers,walnuts,oat cereal,cider viegar,extra virgin oil,lean ground beef,cheese,natural yogurtandwhey protein that should do your shopping list

mickyjune26
08-19-2007, 01:40 PM
For those interested, my diet for the next few weeks is posted below. i'm going to eat the same thing everyday to make it easier to memorize.

Add GNC multivitamin and 1/2 cup cottage cheese to the list.

mickyjune26
08-19-2007, 01:51 PM
How old are you? If you're younger than 40, your metabolism is fine. Eat this everyday.
1lb of beef
1 gallon of milk
6 whole eggs

Rhodehouse, after posting my diet, I thought more about your suggestion. Are you serious on this one? It looks a lot easier, but it seems to have a lot of sat fat and sugars (from the milk). I am considering this, because you have a lot more experience than me.

I don't really care about my bf % during the path to 1045 on my big three, as long as it doesn't hurt my performance.

mickyjune26
08-19-2007, 01:52 PM
ps - I'm 27. I have noticed that I gain weight a lot easier than I used to in high school.

MrWebb78
08-19-2007, 02:37 PM
As much as I love beef, a pound a day seems pretty brutal. It'd probably make you stop crapping for 4 days.

As much as I agree with the "eat everything in sight" approach, I would still add variety.

.5 lb beef(85/15 grnd beef or leaner)
.5 lb chicken or turkey
.25 lb fish(preferably salmon)
6-10 eggs
3 cups milk
2 heaping scoops peanut butter
1 cup of nuts(walnuts n cashews)
Then add a post workout shake and you have plenty of cals from protein.

Add to your shopping list - red taters, brown rice, veggies of all colors, lotsa fruit, and beer.

RedSpikeyThing
08-19-2007, 07:28 PM
+1 for stop thinking and eat.

As much as I love beef, a pound a day seems pretty brutal. It'd probably make you stop crapping for 4 days.

not if you eat your veggies too!

ADT
08-19-2007, 08:12 PM
...I gain really fast on 4,000... so you might wanna watch out unless you already have experience bulking on that much...

That comparison is not valid. Why? He is an entire foot taller than you.

...I'm in the middle, concerning metabolism. I used to have a higher metabolism, but it's been slowing down in the last few years...

You WANT to gain weight. Remember?

Rhodehouse, after posting my diet, I thought more about your suggestion. Are you serious on this one? It looks a lot easier, but it seems to have a lot of sat fat and sugars (from the milk) I am considering this, because you have a lot more experience than me.

I don't really care about my bf % during the path to 1045 on my big three, as long as it doesn't hurt my performance

Yes, it is safe to assume that Rhodehouse knows what he is talking about as his total with the "big three" is around 1200 more pounds than your GOAL. By the way, it will not hurt your performance while bulking to drink milk.

I am glad that you don't care about your bf% while bulking - you're 6'7"- and you want to bulk.

ps - I'm 27. I have noticed that I gain weight a lot easier than I used to in high school.

You WANT to gain weight. Remember? Your metabolism is slowing down. No big deal. In fact, that may assist you in your current goal. You need to change your mindset.

Bulking is a mindset change. Change your mindset and you change your results.

Best,
ADT

Adam
08-19-2007, 08:19 PM
1lb of beef
1 gallon of milk
6 whole eggs

:withstupi

At 6'7 and not worried about a 6-pack you could probly even double that food.

I did the same sorta approach on my last leanbulk.
I just ate 1lbs or more of chicken breast a day, 6 whole extralarge eggs, lotsa shakes, and whatever else.
Great results.
And I'm only 5'7.

sharkall2003
08-19-2007, 10:09 PM
Yeah, on my maintenance at 228 for three weeks I was eating one lb of 93/7 beef, 3 eggs, and 4 cups of milk with 4 scoops of whey. It's really not that unhealthy. Make sure you have your poly and mono fats, however.

RhodeHouse
08-20-2007, 11:54 AM

As much as I agree with the "eat everything in sight" approach, I would still add variety.

.5 lb beef(85/15 grnd beef or leaner)
.5 lb chicken or turkey
.25 lb fish(preferably salmon)
6-10 eggs
3 cups milk
2 heaping scoops peanut butter
1 cup of nuts(walnuts n cashews)
Then add a post workout shake and you have plenty of cals from protein.

Add to your shopping list - red taters, brown rice, veggies of all colors, lotsa fruit, and beer.

Dude, I agree with the variety. But, I'm weird. Look at the size of a bull's neck and the size of a chicken's neck. That's why I eat bull. The real point I was trying to make is, get in a pound of meat a day. Chicken, fish, beef, pork, turkey - it doesn't really matter. Also, 6-10 eggs is a great piece of advice, too.

Mickey - don't worry about the milk sugar. Your goal is to gain weight. Put your gameface on and start eating. Another great piece of advice I got from Vincent is to drink a gallon of Gatorade everyday. It helps a lot.

KingJustin
08-20-2007, 01:20 PM
I agree that your protein intake should be 300g. I'm 6'4/210 right now and 3500-4000 is about maintenance calories for me.

mickyjune26
08-20-2007, 02:27 PM
Man, now i'm starting to see why bulking is so much fun, lol.

...off to eat a few tuna sandwhiches to prep for my lifts in 2 hours.

What would be the cheapest way to bulk, if I'm willing to eat the same thing everyday?

I'm thinking olive oil, eggs, oatmeal, powdered milk, whey protein, corn sugar, and whatever other meat is on sale. Basically trying to get 4000 cals for under $5/day, lol. I hate being poor. :bang:

Adam
08-20-2007, 08:37 PM
matters how clean you want for cheap

rice is clean and extremely cheap, all pasta stuff is cheap
mac and cheese is awesome, sure not the cleanest but taste good and dirt cheap
milk is pretty cheap and good for ya
the ideas you had are all great too

Just take a multi and you'll be safe;)

Twan
08-22-2007, 12:45 AM
Man, now i'm starting to see why bulking is so much fun, lol.

...off to eat a few tuna sandwhiches to prep for my lifts in 2 hours.

What would be the cheapest way to bulk, if I'm willing to eat the same thing everyday?

I'm thinking olive oil, eggs, oatmeal, powdered milk, whey protein, corn sugar, and whatever other meat is on sale. Basically trying to get 4000 cals for under $5/day, lol. I hate being poor. :bang:

You could get 4800 cals/day for $6.00. 2 gallons of whole milk (although I drank one gallon after my lifts the other night and had extremely bad diarrehea. I feel I poo milk more than pee it)

seK
08-22-2007, 07:24 AM
Don't use percentages!
Stick to your 1g-1.5g per lb of LBM Protein and .5g per lb of LBM Fat min.

mickyjune26
08-22-2007, 09:17 AM
Don't use percentages!
Stick to your 1g-1.5g per lb of LBM Protein and .5g per lb of LBM Fat min.

Really glad you reinforced this. I've been doing a lot of reading lately and started to notice that more than one article mentioned this. Basically use your suggestions above, and then add the needed carbs to get 500 above maintanance.