PDA

View Full Version : Murder, burn and pillage...training the Viking way!!

VikingWarlord
08-19-2007, 04:26 PM
I posted this over at BLC, but figured I'd go ahead and do it here too.

People around here know me more than they do over there, so the first post will be shorter than that one but will mostly be a copy/paste since I'm too lazy to type it all out again.

I've been doing a mutant 3 day version of BGB that Built put together for me a while back, with some additions and substitutions.

Part of the reason I decided to start this log is because I've been doing this bull**** for so long that I'm psychologically exhausted from the stress of this kind of long term dieting, so it's time to change things up a bit. This log is supposed to function as a catalyst for that change. The way I figure it, I need to get down to about a legit 220 (maybe 215 if I don't see what I like at 220) and I'll be ready to bulk nice and slow. Should be easy, I'm already down about 85, but that last little bit is hard to stick with fo sho.

For comparison, here's where I was last February at 315.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/twyztyr/Pics%20of%20Me/22506-05.jpg

Here's a quick shot of me as of Aug 3 weighing somewhere between 230-235. I am a hawt piece of ass with that farmer's tan.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/twyztyr/Pics%20of%20Me/DSCN6680.jpg

VikingWarlord
08-19-2007, 04:27 PM
First workout entry.

Today was quads, hamstrings, and biceps/triceps accessory work. I've had two problems that have been hard to overcome. First is that my back has been causing me a lot of problems lately. It hurts randomly, some days I can't make it through a session. I've learned to tune into what's going on and not overload it. I think my bed is the problem.

The second issue is that I've been trying to fix my squat form when my back will allow me to actually squat. I've been keeping it a little light and trying to use a stance just outside shoulder width. My hip flexibility is pretty much trash, so that's been one thing I've been focusing on. Sensei's Squat Rx videos have helped me a pantload, but it's still not where I want it, so I can't really progress until I've got those two issues taken care of.

All that said, here's what I did today.

Squats, 5x5: 135, 225, 225, 275, 275
SLDL, 3x5: 135, 225, 225 and 1x4 at 275. I was going to do a 5x5 on this too but my back gave me the finger so I decided not to push it.

Bench dips, 3x8: Shoulder hurt a bit, so just did bodyweight
Barbell curls, 3x8: A random barbell. 70lb maybe, I didn't pay attention.

Today's session pretty much sucked out loud because I'm running on about 3 and a half hours of sleep. The up side is that's because I was up until 4:30 this morning getting laid. Incidentally, how many calories do you think are burned during a vigorous 3 hour nonstop marathon?

mickyjune26
08-19-2007, 04:32 PM
lol, good job on the workout...last night. keep up the great work. you've made some awesome progress.

VikingWarlord
08-19-2007, 04:37 PM
lol, good job on the workout...last night. keep up the great work. you've made some awesome progress.

I spent all yesterday afternoon digging post holes too. Every time I go visit my parents, it's time for physical labor. I don't mind, that just means I have to do less cardio. :D

Detard
08-19-2007, 05:04 PM
Saw your journal over at BLC. Keep on the cut and youll look great. Digging post holes are such a bitch lol. One of the shovels we have is so ****in stupid. It completely destroys my shoulders after about an hour.

VikingWarlord
08-21-2007, 06:17 PM
Just got home, had to throw this down before I forgot parts.

Standing Military Press, 5x5: 70, 90, 100, 110, 115
Seated pulldowns, 5x5: 120, 140, 150, 160, 170

Dumbbell incline, 3x8: 50, 55, 60
One arm cable rows, 3x8: 100, 120, 120

Weighted crunch machine, 2x10: 160, 175
Farmer's Walk with dumbbells, two round trips at 20 yards each way (40 yards per trip): 80, 85

Shoulder is still a little funny today, so I kept the pressing a tad on the light side. Forearms hurt like a mother****er from the

My diet sucks, I haven't been tracking, but right now I'm actually enjoying gym time so I'm not going to worry a lot about it for at least the rest of this week. Hell, I'm doing something right if I'm wearing pants smaller than I have in longer than I can remember, right?

Sensei
08-21-2007, 08:43 PM
Looking strong and skinny! Just my very biased opinion, but I think you'd be better off eating reasonably and trying to maintain weight while training hard rather than constantly cutting or bulking. Anyway, like I said, looking good and nice to see a journal!

VikingWarlord
08-22-2007, 03:51 AM
Looking strong and skinny! Just my very biased opinion, but I think you'd be better off eating reasonably and trying to maintain weight while training hard rather than constantly cutting or bulking. Anyway, like I said, looking good and nice to see a journal!

That's kind of what I'm doing at present. I'm still looking to drop about another 10-15 lbs of fat, but I like actually being able to do something when I'm in the gym. One of these days, I'll put up some shirtless shots so everyone can see exactly what I mean.

I appreciate it though. Comments are always welcome.

VikingWarlord
08-24-2007, 10:08 AM
Today started all weird. I woke up at 6:45 and freaked out because I thought I was going to be at least a half hour late for work. I jumped out of bed, started getting dressed, and then realized it's Friday and I don't have to go to work. After the panic went away and my heart rate dropped to normal, I slept another 3 hours.

Ok, at the gym...

BB Rows, 5x5: 135, 155, 165, 165, 175
Flat BB Bench, 5x5: 135, 175, 185, 195, 205

One arm pulldowns, 3x8: 100, 100, 120
Arnold Press, 3x8: 40, 40, 40

Hammerstrength Super Horizontal Calf press thing, 3x10: In the 310 range. Whatever the machine weighs plus 3 wheels and a dime per side.

A couple of notes I made. First, I was hanging from the pullup handles (no actual pullup bar, just handles on the cable machine and power racks) to help stretch my lats out a bit, and I think I might actually be able to do pullups. I didn't try, but I will soon. The most I ever got was 2, I think, and that was 10 years ago. I weigh a lot less than I did then, so I might actually be able to.

Second, I had to put a little english on the last couple of reps on the rows to be able to complete the set. Nothing real major, no hard back tweaking or anything, just a little momentum. I know it's not the best way to go, but I don't do it often. I usually use pretty strict form on just about everything.

Third, today was the first time since high school I've repped over 200lbs on the bench. I'm pretty damn happy about that.

IZich
08-24-2007, 11:26 AM
Congrats on repping over 200! That's a pretty awesome feeling, to be sure.

I wouldn't worry too much about the minor English - I assume you are still dropping the negatives slowly after you get it up. That's where the money's at.

You look good - keep it up.

BTW I'm just getting into metal, but I'm not really hardcore. The only bands I've heard that I like so far are Dream Theater, Drist, some of Staind and Avenged Sevenfold. I think the genre name I'm looking for is numetal, but I'm not sure. What are some bands you think I might like and should check out?

VikingWarlord
08-24-2007, 12:13 PM
Congrats on repping over 200! That's a pretty awesome feeling, to be sure.

I wouldn't worry too much about the minor English - I assume you are still dropping the negatives slowly after you get it up. That's where the money's at.

You look good - keep it up.

BTW I'm just getting into metal, but I'm not really hardcore. The only bands I've heard that I like so far are Dream Theater, Drist, some of Staind and Avenged Sevenfold. I think the genre name I'm looking for is numetal, but I'm not sure. What are some bands you think I might like and should check out?

Thanks for the comment. I do drop the negative fairly slowly, 2-3 seconds to full extension. Hitting that 200 mark is definitely a good feeling. I like seeing progress.

As for the music...I don't know Drist. Dream Theater is largely considered to be Prog metal, Staind is definitely nu-metal, and A7X is...well, I don't really know what I'd call them. Not exactly any genre of metal, but not exactly punk. I dig Waking The Fallen though. It gets played a lot.

Some bands in all kinds of genres I'd suggest...Evergrey (the Recreation Day album is their best), Into Eternity, Protest The Hero, Sentenced/Poisonblack, Firewind, Stratovarius, Nightwish, Nevermore, Shadows Fall, Killswitch Engage, and Iron Maiden.

If you want to try something harder, faster, and nastier, check out Annihilator, Impaled Nazarene, Children of Bodom, Testament, Death, Slayer, Nightrage, Fear My Thoughts, In Flames, or Hypocrisy. I could go on forever, but it's a start. I'm a friggin' encyclopedia of metal.

I believe all of these bands have MySpace pages so you can check out tracks...or you can use your p2p app of choice I guess. Look into Metal Blade Records, Century Media, Nuclear Blast, Willowtip Records, Earache Records, inandout Records, and Roadrunner has been getting back into the metal world slowly but surely. Most of the bands on most of those labels are killer. Most of what I listen to is European.

North
08-24-2007, 12:19 PM
Nice workouts vikingwarlord, especially the SLDL's

IZich
08-25-2007, 11:50 PM
Thanks for the comment. I do drop the negative fairly slowly, 2-3 seconds to full extension. Hitting that 200 mark is definitely a good feeling. I like seeing progress.

As for the music...I don't know Drist. Dream Theater is largely considered to be Prog metal, Staind is definitely nu-metal, and A7X is...well, I don't really know what I'd call them. Not exactly any genre of metal, but not exactly punk. I dig Waking The Fallen though. It gets played a lot.

Some bands in all kinds of genres I'd suggest...Evergrey (the Recreation Day album is their best), Into Eternity, Protest The Hero, Sentenced/Poisonblack, Firewind, Stratovarius, Nightwish, Nevermore, Shadows Fall, Killswitch Engage, and Iron Maiden.

If you want to try something harder, faster, and nastier, check out Annihilator, Impaled Nazarene, Children of Bodom, Testament, Death, Slayer, Nightrage, Fear My Thoughts, In Flames, or Hypocrisy. I could go on forever, but it's a start. I'm a friggin' encyclopedia of metal.

I believe all of these bands have MySpace pages so you can check out tracks...or you can use your p2p app of choice I guess. Look into Metal Blade Records, Century Media, Nuclear Blast, Willowtip Records, Earache Records, inandout Records, and Roadrunner has been getting back into the metal world slowly but surely. Most of the bands on most of those labels are killer. Most of what I listen to is European.

Awesome. Thanks for the suggestions.

VikingWarlord
08-26-2007, 10:31 AM
Awesome. Thanks for the suggestions.

No problem. I don't really know exactly what you'd like, so start there and if you want more, let me know.

Today's workout was better than last Sunday. I actually made it through just about everything, despite feeling like crap. I don't know why I feel so bad, it's like a sour stomach, but not enough to actually vomit. It started last night and never went away. I was considering trying to make myself puke just to get whatever it is out of there.

Anyhow, here's the workout.

Seated DB hammer curls, 2x8: 35, 35
Weighted bench dips, 2x8: 90 lbs in my lap

Standing barbell curls, 2x8: 60, 70
Tricep extensions, 2x8: 60, 70

Box (bench) Squats, 5x5: 135, 225, 225, 275, 275
SLDL, 5x5: 135, 225, 225, 275, 275

Walking DB lunges, 10 yards: 1 pass with 65 lb DBs.

I had intended to do 3 10 yard passes, but came down too hard on one and whacked my knee pretty hard about halfway through the run. Tried to push through but it hurt too damn bad.

I haven't done box squats since high school. It's a weird adjustment to make. I used a flat DB bench since there aren't any boxes at Gold's, but the bench put me about an inch below parallel according to the mirror. I found I was able to comfortably use a wider stance than I'm used to. Hip flexibility is still a major issue for me, but it's getting better. I think I'm going to stick with the box for a while.

Made it through all the SLDLs this week, and my back didn't give me too much trouble. I'm still going to take it a little easy for a while until it decides it wants to cooperate.

KevinStarke
08-26-2007, 10:48 AM
I've always dreaded lunges, good stuff though. Strong box squats man.

VikingWarlord
08-28-2007, 06:36 PM
I've always dreaded lunges, good stuff though. Strong box squats man.

Thanks. I haven't done lunges in a while, I think I'm just going to stick to stationary barbell lunges for a while until I get used to the movement again.

GYM TIME!!!!!!!!!!

Standing Millies, 5x5: 70, 90, 100, 110, 115
Pulldowns, 5x5: 120, 140, 140, 160, 160

Incline DB press, 3x8: 55, 60, 60
One arm cable rows, 3x8: 100, 120, 120

Weighted crunch machine, 3x12: 155, 155, 170
DB Farmer's walk, 2x40 yards round trip: 80, 85

That's it.

IZich
08-28-2007, 09:06 PM
Looking good man. Did you just walk up and down your gym for the farmer's walk? I find I can't really do them because my public gym is really crowded.

North
08-28-2007, 10:13 PM
You got some good taste in music. Do you play in a band? If you do whats it called and can I hear it online anywhere?

VikingWarlord
08-29-2007, 03:37 AM
Looking good man. Did you just walk up and down your gym for the farmer's walk? I find I can't really do them because my public gym is really crowded.

More or less. There's an area off to the side where I can go and walk. I go down and back and consider that one pass. It's ~20 yards in each direction.

You got some good taste in music. Do you play in a band? If you do whats it called and can I hear it online anywhere?

Thanks. I do play in a band, but interestingly enough, it's not a metal band. I'm in a punk band with a heavy West Coast influence. If you're at all interested, it's The 12:00 Flashers (http://www.myspace.com/thetwelveoclockflashers). I do this because there aren't any metal bands worth a damn. Everyone around here just wants to be Hatebreed or Lamb Of God or some other lame, no-talent bull****.

VikingWarlord
09-01-2007, 07:47 AM
My work schedule has changed, so my gym schedule has as well. Instead of Friday/Sunday/Tuesday, it's going to be Sunday/Tuesday/Thursday, so I tool yesterday off from lifting.

Spent several hours in the sun putting up more fence posts and doing other assorted manual labor, so I didn't completely miss a workout. Today I'll be spending some more time in the sun to try to darken up my honky ass.

I'm taking my friend to the gym with me tomorrow. He wants to get back into working out but says he doesn't know what he's doing. I'm going to bring him in so he can't use that excuse anymore.

Anyway, I'm still around if anyone gives a ****.

Stumprrp
09-01-2007, 08:09 AM
nice numbers big man

Unholy
09-01-2007, 08:16 AM
I give a fukc, I wanna see some workouts, and when you get a tan lets get some update pics sucka.

VikingWarlord
09-01-2007, 09:07 AM
I give a fukc, I wanna see some workouts, and when you get a tan lets get some update pics sucka.

Workout tomorrow. I have a feeling tomorrow's going to suck because I plan to do some more "cardio" (see second post) this evening. Hopefully, we'll start earlier so I can get some sleep tonight. Also hoping to not be hung over.

We'll see about those pics. It'll be a while before I have A TAN. I'm ghostly right now. Maybe I'll go outside now and lay down on the sidewalk.

Unholy
09-01-2007, 09:13 AM
I sleep on my lawn when I pass out drunk in front of my house sometimes, just remember to do it in your boxers so you don't die from the heat.

VikingWarlord
09-01-2007, 09:19 AM
I sleep on my lawn when I pass out drunk in front of my house sometimes, just remember to do it in your boxers so you don't die from the heat.

Well, I'm at my parents' house for the holiday weekend. I'll just go out to the pool. Problem is there are so many trees that there's direct sun out there for only a couple hours a day, and it starts soon.

RedSpikeyThing
09-01-2007, 12:50 PM
lookin' slim viking! You must be tall because you carried that 315 pretty well. BTW you're also putting up some pretty good numbers. Keep it up!

North
09-01-2007, 01:12 PM
"Our only weapon" is a pretty good song. You were right about the west coast influence. I like how it has some metal-ish riffs in there and some ska.

Local punk bands are always better than the "big-time" ones.

"Chain reaction of evil" is good too.

Keep up the good work. Do play any concerts anywhere besides indianapolis? If you come to Nebraska i'll definately come out to the show if I can. Always good to help local bands.

Blood&Iron
09-01-2007, 02:27 PM
Great to hear that you're rededicating yourself.

Btw, I just stumbled across this band but had never heard of them. Maybe they're well known, but I'm not into the metal scene like I was 10 years ago. Nice old school thrash I thought:
Onslaught (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=106719491)

VikingWarlord
09-01-2007, 06:15 PM
lookin' slim viking! You must be tall because you carried that 315 pretty well. BTW you're also putting up some pretty good numbers. Keep it up!

Thanks man. I'm 6'3, and I guess I did carry it well because no one ever thought I was that big. That's probably why I let it get that far out of control. I still need to gather the balls to post some shirtless pics so people can see what's left to deal with, but that hasn't happened yet.

"Our only weapon" is a pretty good song. You were right about the west coast influence. I like how it has some metal-ish riffs in there and some ska.

Local punk bands are always better than the "big-time" ones.

"Chain reaction of evil" is good too.

Keep up the good work. Do play any concerts anywhere besides indianapolis? If you come to Nebraska i'll definately come out to the show if I can. Always good to help local bands.

We'll play anywhere we're able. Nebraska might be a way off, but we have been out of state a number of times. Glad to hear you dig it.

Great to hear that you're rededicating yourself.

Btw, I just stumbled across this band but had never heard of them. Maybe they're well known, but I'm not into the metal scene like I was 10 years ago. Nice old school thrash I thought:
Onslaught (
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=106719491")

Thanks Zac. I'm happy to be back into it.

That name doesn't sound familiar, but I'll definitely check them out when I get a few minutes to take a listen.

VikingWarlord
09-02-2007, 10:08 AM
On my way out to the car, I tripped and fell on the concrete stairs. Scraped my shin and landed on my hands pretty hard. My right wrist and shoulder got tweaked just a bit, so I wasn't able to perform to the best of my ability.

BB Rows, 5x5: 135, 155, 165, 175, 185 (with some english on the last set)
Flat BB Bench, 5x5: 135, 175, 185, 195, 205 (probably could have gone higher, but my wrist started complaining)

One arm cable pulldowns, 3x8: 100, 120, 140
Arnies, 3x8: 35, 40, 40 (and my shoulder was bitching for the last four reps)

The pulldowns and Arnies were paired. It's always been that way, but I don't think I ever noted it before.

Tired. Didn't sleep well last night, didn't get back to Indy until a little after 3 this morning.

VikingWarlord
09-04-2007, 06:31 PM
Today was kind of a sucktastic day, and the workout was the best part of it.

Weighted between-bench dips, 2x8: 90, 90

Tricep extensions w/DB, 2x8: 60, 65
Seated hammer curls, 2x8: 30, 30

Yes, I know my arms suck balls. I hate them and if I didn't need them, I'd cut them the hell off.

Squats, 5x5: 135, 225, 225, 275, 275
SLDL, 5x5: Same as squats

One of the good things about today were that I noticed my hips were behaving themselves at the bottom of the squats. My flexibility is improving greatly. The other major plus is that my back hasn't acted up in a while. I feel the work I did, but it's not a debilitating pain like I pulled something.

I didn't use a bench for the squats this week, since there wasn't one available. It was a pretty decent workout even though I'm having problems focusing because of some personal issues.. It's not anything like it was a couple months ago, and hopefully I can avoid it turning into that kind of a quagmire again.

VikingWarlord
09-06-2007, 04:45 PM
Sick. No workout today. Dammit.

VikingWarlord
09-09-2007, 10:49 AM
Ok. Still got the cold, still having breathing problems, but it's better than it was. Just got home, will throw this down real fast, then shower, then eat. A pound of cod fried up in olive oil and put on whole wheat buns with pepper jack cheese and lettuce. Sweet titties. Anyway, workout.

Half-assed HB Rows, 5x5: 135, 155, 165, 175, 185 <---These take some getting used to. The sumo stance feels good.
Flat bench DB press, 5x5: 55, 60, 65, 70, 75 <--The two BB benches were taken and I didn't feel like waiting. DBs are ****ing weird.

Single arm pulldowns, 3x8: 100, 120, 140
Arnies, 3x8: 35, 40, 45

I was supposed to do calf work today, but I don't really care. My calves have been propelling fat guy for almost 28 years, so I'm not going to be upset if I skip a bit.

VikingWarlord
09-12-2007, 05:36 PM
Gym.

Squats, 4x5: 135, 225, 255, 275, then 315x4. I would have done 5, but my knee told me that if I tried it again, it would kill me in my sleep.
SLDLs, 4x5: 135, 225, 255, 275, then 315x4. This time, it was my grip that told me to piss off.

Between-bench dips, 2x8: Just bodyweight

That's it. I was going to do lunges and some other arm work, but I have a wicked sinus headache that's threatening to kill me. After I eat and shower, it's time to throw down NyQuil and pass out for the night. Cold is almost gone, just got this sinus bull**** hanging in there.

Sidior
09-12-2007, 06:28 PM
First time passing through. I never realized you were that strong bro. Awesome weightloss as well!

RedSpikeyThing
09-12-2007, 06:47 PM
great squatting! deadlifts looking good too. You should get some chalk for the grip

VikingWarlord
09-12-2007, 07:07 PM
First time passing through. I never realized you were that strong bro. Awesome weightloss as well!

Thanks a lot for stopping by. Not anywhere near as strong as I want to be, but that's why I'm doing this, right?

great squatting! deadlifts looking good too. You should get some chalk for the grip

You're right, I really should get some. I'm actually thinking about liquid chalk so it's not so messy. When I got there, someone had chalked the hell out of the place. It looked like a cocaine factory exploded near the squat racks.

VikingWarlord
09-16-2007, 02:01 PM
Today's session:

HB-ish Rows, 5x5: 135, 165, 175, 185, 195
Flat BB Bench Press 5x5: 135, 185, 195, 205, 215 (w00t!)

Cable pulldowns, 3x8: 120, 140, 160. I may have done more or less than 8 on the last set, I lost count
Arnies, 3x8: 40, 45, 45. The last set was hard as hell.

Horizontal calf extension, 2x10: 380-ish. Don't really care about calves, they move my big ass around so tend to get worked on their own.

My lower back started to hurt like hell yesterday for no real reason. It still hurts, but less now that I took some Excedrin and have been moving, but if I stay sitting down for too long, it stiffens back up. I can either stand up or lay down. I'm getting amazingly tired of this kind of thing.

TwiloMike
09-16-2007, 06:53 PM
Have you had back issues in the past?

VikingWarlord
09-16-2007, 07:37 PM
Have you had back issues in the past?

Every so often, I'll wake up with a really stiff back. I don't think it's training related, since it never happens until several days after doing any back work.

My bed sucks, and that's probably a big part of the problem. I've woken up with all kinds of random issues before.

TwiloMike
09-16-2007, 07:43 PM
Oh.. yeah. Beds can be awful. When's the last time you flipped/turned your mattress? Do it tonight (if your back allows). See if that makes a difference.

VikingWarlord
09-16-2007, 07:49 PM
Oh.. yeah. Beds can be awful. When's the last time you flipped/turned your mattress? Do it tonight (if your back allows). See if that makes a difference.

I'm too lazy to have to remake the bed after flipping it, so I'll do it tomorrow.

VikingWarlord
09-18-2007, 05:49 PM
Today's session felt good. The back acted up once, so I just stopped and did something else. See how it feels in the morning.

Squats, 5x5: 135, 225, 255, 275, 315 <--I hit all 5 this time. I felt like He-Man and ****.
SLDLs, 5x5: Same as above. I had to take about a 10 second break in the last set because I ripped a callus, but I made all 5, dammit.

BB Step-Ups to about a 10" step, 2x8: 135, 225

Tried doing BB lunges at first, and my balance sucked so bad my back started complaining, so I switched to step-ups instead.

I need to work on some static holds. I usually do Farmer's walks once a week, but I might start doing some extra holds on my Sunday workout too.

Anyway, I'm very, VERY satisfied with this session. I've started going on the idea of trying to do at least one thing better than the week before.

syntekz
09-18-2007, 08:12 PM
I need to work on some static holds. I usually do Farmer's walks once a week, but I might start doing some extra holds on my Sunday workout too.

Anyway, I'm very, VERY satisfied with this session. I've started going on the idea of trying to do at least one thing better than the week before.

You might look into some sort of grip specific equipment also; I use this Ivanko gripper currently: Ivanko Gripper (http://www.prowriststraps.com/inc/sdetail/18681)

I think you might be able to find one of these at Bob Block Fitness Equipment stores which I know there are a couple in the Indy area.

VikingWarlord
09-19-2007, 04:23 PM
You might look into some sort of grip specific equipment also; I use this Ivanko gripper currently: Ivanko Gripper (http://www.prowriststraps.com/inc/sdetail/18681)

I think you might be able to find one of these at Bob Block Fitness Equipment stores which I know there are a couple in the Indy area.

I'll check that out this weekend sometime. Thanks for the heads up.

RedSpikeyThing
09-19-2007, 05:46 PM
Excellent squatting, 3 plates for 5 is big weight

VikingWarlord
09-19-2007, 07:28 PM
Excellent squatting, 3 plates for 5 is big weight

Thanks man. Every workout gets better than the last, and I seem to have hit my training groove, so hopefully those numbers will keep moving.

IZich
09-20-2007, 12:43 AM
Ace squatting man.

nhlfan
09-20-2007, 01:45 AM
wow, you've sure slimmed down since I first started posting.

Fuzzy
09-20-2007, 01:46 AM
You carry your weight very well.

I think screw cutting till 220 and begin a recomp type diet, just eat balanced and lose fat and gain muscle very slowly.

Its working great for me.

Good luck ad training ooks great

VikingWarlord
09-20-2007, 05:42 PM
Session today

Standing millies, 5x5: 80, 100, 115, 125, 135 <--**** yeah.
Single arm pulldowns, 5x5: 120, 120, 140, 150, 160

DB incline, 2x8: 65, 70, and 75 x 6 <--Just couldn't pound out the last two. I'm disappointed.
Single-arm cable rows, 3x8: 120, 140, 160

DB static holds, 3 x 20 second holds: 90, 95, 100

Since I was in a hurry, I skipped abs today. They'll get hit on Sunday. I need to do something instead of what I usually do. It's time to make sure everything's working right now. One of these days, I'll actually get the balls to try to do some pullups. Still got major self-confidence issues.

VikingWarlord
09-20-2007, 05:49 PM
Ace squatting man.

Thanks. It feels good to hit that 3 wheel milestone.

wow, you've sure slimmed down since I first started posting.

Since I started posting here (little over a year ago), I'm down about 55 lbs or so total.

You carry your weight very well.

I think screw cutting till 220 and begin a recomp type diet, just eat balanced and lose fat and gain muscle very slowly.

Its working great for me.

Good luck ad training ooks great

Thanks a lot, Fuzzy.

Right now, I'm doing between 1900-2100 cals a day, carbs around workout. My maintenance is ridiculously low for someone my size (27-2800 or so). I'm really set on leaning out just because I've never been anything but a fat **** for my entire life and really want to see what's underneath all this stuff.

Truth be told, I'm not sure where I really want to go from there, I just want to conquer this goddamn gut. We'll see how much of this stuff comes off over the next 14 weeks. Next week, I get to start throwing in metabolic work. Yay!

Ugh.

HeavyBomber
09-20-2007, 06:06 PM
Thanks. It feels good to hit that 3 wheel milestone.

DAMN RIGHT MAN! Freaking awesome!

VikingWarlord
09-23-2007, 10:04 AM
Today's entry is entitled "The dumbest thing I've ever done"

Morning weigh-in at 234.

BB Rows 5x5: 135, 165, 175, 185
Bench Press 5x5: 135, 185, 195, 205, 215

Single arm pulldowns, 2x8: 120, 140
Arnies, 2x8: 40, 40

Today, I decided to start the metabolic work. I decided to do bodyweight Tabata squats, followed by about a 15 minute walk at around 4 mph. This is where today's post title comes from.

I'm not going to do these much, but based on the reading I've been doing, I figure I'd probably benefit from a rotating schedule of 5 or 6 different HIIT configurations, never doing the same thing twice in the same week. If nothing else, it'd help to spice things up a bit, right?

Oh, the up side is that while I was stretching and warming up I did a pullup. I could have done more, but I was just curious to see. Hammer grip, less than shoulder width. Now that I know I can, I'll put them in the routine.

Fuzzy
09-23-2007, 04:02 PM
Tabata hurts, I vomited doing it on 100lbs front squats

TwiloMike
09-23-2007, 05:19 PM
I've been thinking about Tabata. I'll likely try it sometime soon, just to see what it's like.

RedSpikeyThing
09-23-2007, 06:27 PM
You're a brave man Viking. I tried tabata once. The post in my journal is called "how 10 lb dumbells kicked my ass"

VikingWarlord
09-23-2007, 06:52 PM
I've been thinking about Tabata. I'll likely try it sometime soon, just to see what it's like.

My quads cramped so bad I locked up when I was done. Couldn't bend my knees for a minute or so. Beware.

You're a brave man Viking. I tried tabata once. The post in my journal is called "how 10 lb dumbells kicked my ass"

****, I just used my bodyweight. Not like that's not hefty or anything. I may try the protocol again, but likely not with squats. Eff that in the A.

TwiloMike
09-23-2007, 07:13 PM
Ha. Yeah, I looked at that and figured front squats would be lethal. Thrusters was going to be it. 10lbs is dangerous, huh? wow...

VikingWarlord
09-23-2007, 07:17 PM
Ha. Yeah, I looked at that and figured front squats would be lethal. Thrusters was going to be it. 10lbs is dangerous, huh? wow...

It's the speed of the movement itself more than the weight. Since you're going balls out, it's something you're not going to be used to at all. Seriously, just try doing squats with no weight and see how you feel after the 3rd interval.

VikingWarlord
10-06-2007, 08:17 AM
Been down with a horrible back injury. All better, back to the gym tomorrow.

Stumprrp
10-06-2007, 09:58 AM
315 on squats is indeed a huge milestone, get tat back better brother

VikingWarlord
10-07-2007, 10:58 AM
Ok, first day back to the gym in almost exactly 2 weeks.

BB Rows: 135x5, 165x5, 175x5, 185x5, 195x a very sloppy 5
Flat DB Press: 55x5, 60x5, 65x5, 70x5, 75x5

One arm pulldowns: 120x8, 140x8, 160x8
Arnies: 40x3x8

Horizontal calf raises: 300-somethingx3x10

Hate DB press, but stupid jackoffs had the benches tied up and I hate waiting more. I don't even really want to ask them to hurry up or anything because every time I do that, someone takes it as me trying to be friendly and they want to chat. Eff that in the A. I'm thinking about wearing a welder's shield when I lift just so people will leave me the **** alone.

Unholy
10-07-2007, 11:23 AM
Good effort man, your BB rows are strong as hell.

VikingWarlord
10-09-2007, 05:17 PM
Dreaded legs.

Squats: 135x5, 225x5, 255x5, 275x5, 315x5
SLDL: 135x5, 225x5, 255x5, 275x5, 315x5
Split squats: BWx8, 135x8

I didn't feel like doing any accessory work after that bull****. I was happy to see that I picked up where I left off two weeks ago. Still adjusting to balancing with split squats, and after everything else, I had almost nothing left in the tank. I was going to do 3 sets but just couldn't keep going.

Now I need food.

VikingWarlord
10-11-2007, 05:56 PM
Gym time:

Standing millies: 65x5, 95x5, 115x5, 135x5, 145x5
Hammer grip cable pulldowns: 120x5, 130x5, 140x5,150x5, 160x5

One arm rows: 120x8, 140x8, 160x8
Incline DB press: 55x2x8, 65x8

2 sets of static DB holds: 95x20xec, 100x20xec

Half-assed the grip work and bailed on ab work because I didn't feel like it.

RedSpikeyThing
10-11-2007, 05:59 PM
very strong work! Millies and rows are impressive

VikingWarlord
10-14-2007, 10:09 AM
Today's gym-like activities:

BB Rows: 135x5, 165x5, 175x5, 185x5, 195x5
Bench Press: 135x5, 195x5, 205x5, 215x5, 225x3 <--****.

One-Arm Pulldowns: 120x8, 140x8, 160x8
Arnies: 40x3x8

While I was warming up for the rows and stretching a bit, I did a few more pullups, a couple prone grip and a couple hammer grip. That felt good, but I was disappointed in this session overall, and had a hard time focusing. I think that was partially due to the fact that I forgot to take my MP3 player out of my laptop bag...it's hard to focus when the speakers in the gym are playing Avril Lavigne and Donna Summer and ****. Was really hoping to nail 225 for 5 at the top end. Maybe next week.

VikingWarlord
10-15-2007, 05:38 PM
This week's schedule is messed up. Did legs tonight, have band practice tomorrow.

Squats: 135x5, 225x5, 275x5, 275x5, 315x5
SLDLs: 135x5, 225x5, 275x5, 275x5, 315x3

My hip popped pretty hard on the third set of squats, but I pushed through it. Hurts pretty bad right now. That, coupled with the fact that my grip is a little effed from all of the back work yesterday, meant I couldn't pull all 5 reps on the last set and means I bailed on doing the split squats.

That makes two disappointments in two consecutive sessions. This isn't a happy trend.

VikingWarlord
10-21-2007, 10:30 AM
Been gone a couple days. **** happens. Here.

Morning weight was 232 even.

Today's workout was...well, it was.

BB Rows: 135x5, 165x5, 175x5, 185x5, 195x5
Bench Press: 135x5, 185x5, 195x5, 205x5, 215x5

One arm pulldowns: 120x8, 140x8, 160x8
Arnies: 40x8, 45x8, 50x7

I do believe that 50x7 on the Arnies might be a PR, but I'm not sure. I don't really keep a close watch on that kind of stuff. Also, the one-arm pulldowns aren't getting any easier, I've been stuck with those same weights for a while now. I'm doing some (not many, since I'm still fat and weak) pullups on the heavy vertical day, but the light vertical stuff just isn't moving.

That's it. I've really been slacking on the accessory work. That's probably not good.

VikingWarlord
11-08-2007, 06:44 PM
I haven't updated this thing in a while, been mostly staying on BLC, but I'll throw an update up here in the off chance someone reads it.

Dig it, kiddies:

Standing millies, 5x5: 75, 115, 125, 135, 145
Pullups: BWx3, x2, x2, x1...Hot damn.

Incline DB press, 2x8: 55, 65, 75x1 and then my wrist said "What the hell do you think you're doing?" and I decided it best not to argue
One arm cable rows, 3x8: 120, 140, 160

Farmer's walk for ~50 yards round trip with 85lb DBs
2x static DB holds with 95s: 35sec, 25sec

Not an awful session. Not sure what happened with the wrist, it's not hurt, it just felt unlike anything I've ever experienced so I decided not to push my luck. Weird.

VikingWarlord
11-11-2007, 11:28 AM
It's a crappy day here, all rainy and cold. The weather's playing havoc with the motivation and I ate something that's not agreeing with me, but here's what I did today.

BB Rows: 135x5, 175x5, 185x5, 195x5, 205x3

One arm pulldowns: 120x8, 140x8
Arnies: 40x8, 45x8

Sleepy day + upset stomach + sore from woodcutting yesterday + forgotten mp3 player = mediocre session. At least I went and did something.

Killa Kurt
11-11-2007, 11:34 AM
Here's the real viking power.

http://www.power-viking.com

Check his training routine.

VikingWarlord
11-15-2007, 04:26 PM
I forgot to update this on Tuesday, but I don't think anyone reads it anyway, so it hardly matters. ;)

Just heard from Joshy Hatred for the first time in a while since he wanted to hear my "shining voice", and tell me he misses me in a way hetero- totally non-gay way, or so he says.

Today's session wasn't half bad, I'm satisfied with today's performance.

Standing millies: 75x5, 125x5, 135x5, 145x5, 155x5 and almost dropped the last one right on my melon
BW Pullups: 4, 3, 2.5, 2, 1 and grip gave out

Incline DB press: 55x8, 65x8, 70x8 and probably could have done 75s on the last set, but whatever
One arm cable rows: 120x8, 140x8, 160x a very hard 8

DB farmer's walk: 40 yards round trip, 2 passes, 85s, 90s
Static DB hold: 95s for 27 seconds

After this ****, my forearms ballooned. Looked like Popeye walking out of there. I could barely grip the steering wheel, but all this grip work is really helping. Now I eat, then I shower. Maybe the other way around, who knows?

The bottom line is I feel good today.

Hatred
11-15-2007, 05:20 PM
I was under the impression that grip work didn't affect forearm size.
I'm not coming in here to piss in your Cheerios; I just really want to know. What's the definitve answer on that? if It does I'll start doing a lot more grip work.

And where in the HELL did this journal come from and how did I miss it?

VikingWarlord
11-15-2007, 06:26 PM
I was under the impression that grip work didn't affect forearm size.
I'm not coming in here to piss in your Cheerios; I just really want to know. What's the definitve answer on that? if It does I'll start doing a lot more grip work.

And where in the HELL did this journal come from and how did I miss it?

I don't know about size, but I'm not doing it for that. My grip strength is a definite weak point in my pulling, but training grip has made a noticeable improvement in that area. The balloon effect was just because of the pump they were experiencing. The veins in my forearms looked like the back of an entertainment center.

The journal happened while you were on your extended leave. Don't feel bad, most people miss it.

Hatred
11-15-2007, 06:28 PM
:whiner:

wah

VikingWarlord
11-15-2007, 06:50 PM
Someone's asking for a teabagging.

VikingWarlord
11-18-2007, 12:39 PM
Got in at about 4 this morning. Had a show last night, it was reasonably successful except for the fact that we played last so most people were gone. At least we did fairly well and debuted two new songs. Anyway, no one cares, this isn't a music forum.

Holy hell, this session was harsh.

BB Rows: 135x5, 175x5, 185x5, 195x5, 205x5
DB Press, very low incline: 60x5, 65x5, 75x5, 80x5, 85x5

One arm pulldowns: 140x8, 160x8, 180x8
Arnies:40x8 45x8, 50x8 <--might be a PR

Horizontal calf press: 290x12, 380x12, 380x12

I'm not sure why I decided to do DB press today, just felt like it. Bench hasn't improved really in the last month or so, so I figured it's time to change it up a little bit. I've decided on a goal for every workout. Have the goal in mind and the path to get to the goal. They're set small enough that I'd hit those goals every week or two under ideal circumstances, but we know that ideals don't usually work out.

VikingWarlord
11-20-2007, 05:12 PM
Session:

Squats: 135x5, 225x5, 275x5
SLDLs: 135x5, 225x5, 275x5, 315x5, 335x4 and sweaty palms gave way. Might be an PR, don't know because it doesn't really matter.

Split squats: 135x5x3

Rotator cuff stuff, a bunch

I'm getting pissed at the squats. I'm able to do so much more, but this ****ing hip thing is aggravating. I'm switching to Ibuprofen to see if that makes any difference. That's it.

I've got some yogurt and raisin braised chicken to prep.

Jorge Sanchez
11-20-2007, 05:39 PM
Big squats, dude.

Hatred
11-20-2007, 05:47 PM
Describe the "hip thing"
and

I just ate 4 double cheeseburgers and a large fry.

VikingWarlord
11-20-2007, 06:50 PM
Big squats, dude.

Those are pathetic. If it wasn't for this hip problem, I'd be up to around 350 now.

Describe the "hip thing"
and

I just ate 4 double cheeseburgers and a large fry.

I've been over it at BLC. Short version, 5-6 weeks ago, I squat a little wider than usual, hip says "POP" and pain happens at random times but just about every time my thigh is parallel with the floor and there's weight on it, but split squats don't hurt a bit. I should go to a doctor but I'm stupid so I'm just dealing with it.

Jorge Sanchez
11-21-2007, 11:36 AM
315x5 is nothing to sneeze at. Just take care of your hip and you'll be back there in no time.

Hatred
11-21-2007, 12:59 PM
Bah. I've had my hip pop when walking for no reason and almost drop me for years. Random times. You'll be fine.

I just ate a dozen eggs.

VikingWarlord
11-21-2007, 04:42 PM
I know I'll be fine, but it still pisses me off.

Hatred
11-21-2007, 04:44 PM
I just ate a half a jar of peanut butter.

VikingWarlord
11-21-2007, 04:52 PM
I'm about to go eat two chicken breasts and a pot of rice.

VikingWarlord
11-25-2007, 01:16 PM
Today's session:

DB Press, very low incline: 60x5, 70x5, 75x5, 80x5, 85x5

One arm pulldowns: 140x5, 160x5
Arnies:45x5, 50x5

Horizontal calf press: 290x12, 380x12

I've cut and moved an estimated 3000lbs of wood (no lie) over the last two days, so I took it easy today to save my shoulders a little bit.

VikingWarlord
11-27-2007, 04:14 PM
Today sucked. Stomach's acting all weird, I spent the entire session feeling like I would **** myself at any moment.

Squats: 135x5, 225x5, 275x5, 275x5
SLDLs: 135x5, 225x5, 275x5, 315x5

That's it. Pretty weak. Oh well. Hoping I'll feel better in the morning.

Hatred
11-27-2007, 06:11 PM
LOL. That's every one of my workouts. I spend the whole time stinking up the gym. Don't go poop though. Everytime you do it won't all come out and you'll feel like you have a pine cone in your butt.

VikingWarlord
11-27-2007, 06:32 PM
I dropped when I got home and it was fluid. I'm glad I didn't let that go in the gym or they would have needed a ****ing mop.

VikingWarlord
12-02-2007, 10:27 AM
So I've been out of the groove lately, life happens. Missed the last two Thursday sessions and I've managed to pack a few pounds back on. Time to regain control of this mess I call my life.

Today's session

BB Rows: 135x5, 175x5, 185x5, 195x5, 205x a sloppy 5
DB Press: 65x5, 75x5, 80x5, 85x5, 90x0 <--epic fail

Horizontal Calf Press: 290x12, 380x12, 390x12

One arm pulldowns: 140x8, 160x8, 180x8 <--PR
Arnies: 45x8, 50x8, 55x7 <--PR

I decided to try an experiment and see whether I'd be able to push harder with a longer break between the horizontal and vertical movements, so I threw the calves in between them. Looks like it helped out a bit. That was probably the reason I wasn't ever progressing much on those light vertical movements.

I'm also going to stick with the DB Press for another 2 weeks or so and then switch back to BB Bench. I've found that alternating every so often helps me out physically and psychologically.

VikingWarlord
12-09-2007, 11:04 AM
I don't update this thing every day, obviously, but here's a random one. Horizontal day:

DB Press: 65x5, 70x5, 75x5, 80x5, 85x5

Horizontal Calf Press: 290x12, 380x12, 380x12

One arm pulldowns: 140x8, 160x8, 180x8
Arnies: 45x8, 50x8, 55x7

Basically the exact same as last Sunday. My neck hurts like a mother****er. I think I'm going to throw an ice pack on it when I get out of the shower and see if that helps. The little sleep I did get on a drunken Friday night/Saturday morning wasn't the best since I was wrapped around a woman. That caused my shoulder to get a little stiff and still feel it a bit. Didn't really affect the session, but it's apparent.

North
12-09-2007, 09:34 PM
strong rows viking

VikingWarlord
12-22-2007, 10:14 AM
I don't update this anywhere near as often as my log on BLC. Meh, whatever.

Woke up, ate some left over stir fry, and took a leg day since the gym is closed on Tuesday and I'll be out of town. My first one in weeks.

Front Squats: 135x5, 225x5
Back squats: 275x5, 295x5, 315x5
RDL: 135x5, 225x5, 275x5, 295x5, 315x3 <--Ripped a callus

Observations: Haven't done fronts since high school. Need to get the hang of them, but I think doing those for warmup sets helped. I still felt my hip twinge just a bit, but there wasn't any horrible pain, as evidenced by the fact that I still managed to throw up 315 on the last set. The last 3 reps were serious grinders, but I managed to keep the full ROM and push them out. I won't be moving up much until I'm sure I won't hurt myself again.

I really need to get some chalk or something. I'm having major problems with the bar slipping because of sweat and such. Don't really want to use straps, I'd prefer to do all this stuff as raw as possible. I just have to keep up with the deadlifting and that'll help the grip. I think I'll also start throwing some barbell shrugs in on Thursdays to help with grip and hit the traps a little extra too.

Lastly, stir fry isn't as good when you run out of soy sauce.

samadhi_smiles
12-22-2007, 11:12 AM
likewise the soy sauce isn't as good when you run out of stir fry :(

chalk helps a lot

North
12-22-2007, 03:01 PM
Nice fronts for not doing them in a long time

VikingWarlord
12-22-2007, 05:30 PM
likewise the soy sauce isn't as good when you run out of stir fry :(

chalk helps a lot

I need to get some liquid chalk, I think. I can't seem to find the stuff, every search I do yields nothing but art supplies.

Nice fronts for not doing them in a long time

They felt really weird. Weren't hard, but I wasn't used to them. I liked the way I felt when I was done, so I'll start doing them more often and get the hang of them.

I did the first set with a clean grip and decided to do the crossed-arms-on-the-delts style for the second set because I didn't think my wrists could hack being bent back with 225 for that long.

Stumprrp
12-22-2007, 06:29 PM
hey man, strong squatting!

VikingWarlord
12-22-2007, 11:18 PM
Thanks to all the injuries and bull****, it's nothing near what I should be doing...but thanks!

VikingWarlord
12-23-2007, 02:01 PM
Today was rough. Didn't get to sleep until about 7:15. My friend with the kids called me after work and begged me to help her finish her Christmas shopping, so I did. We went to Wal Mart and bought a bunch of toys. I slept for maybe 4 hours, and I'm way ****ing sore...so today's session was a little rough but not horrible.

Cable Rows: 140x5, 180x5, 180x5, 200x5,, 210x0 <-- grip gave

Barbell Calf Raises: 315x10, 365x10, 365x10

One Arm Pulldowns: 140x8, 160x8, 180x8
Arnies: 45x8. 50x8, 55x8 <--finally made it!

God, I feel like hell. Yesterday was rough. At least I go to my parents' house tomorrow morning and don't have to do anything until Thursday. If they ask me to haul wood, I'll tell them fo **** off. :D

RedSpikeyThing
12-24-2007, 09:12 AM
Those are the ones that count the most...benching 5x215 when you feel like **** is a good workout to me.

If they ask me to haul wood, I'll tell them fo **** off. :D
haha good luck with that....doesn't matter how old I get, I will always get smacked for pulling something like that

VikingWarlord
03-09-2008, 10:50 AM
I should knock the dust off this thing. I can't believe it's been so long since I made an entry. I maintain my log on BLC way better than this one.

I've taken the last month or so off due to illness and amazingly ****ed up personal problems, but I'm back. My diet and training has been commandeered by Built so she can torture me for her own amusement.

Anyway, here's today's bull****.

BB rows, 4x5: 135, 165, 175, 185, 195
Incline DB press, 5x5: 60, 65, 70, 75, 80

Calf press, 2x12: 290, 380

One arm pulldowns, 2x8: 140, 140
Arnies, 2x8: 45, 45

Hill repeats @ 3.5mph: 4 minutes each at 7%, 8%, 9% and 10% with 1 minute of 5% in between each interval. As much as these suck, the worst part is that it's just BORING.

I've decided to take this re-start opportunity to change some things. I think I'm going to keep my higher rep sets at a steady weight instead of ramping them up and also use more weight than I normally would and only do 2x8 instead of 3x8. If it doesn't feel right, I'll go back to the way it was but I'll give it a few weeks to adjust to it.

It felt kind of good being back in there, even though I'm a fat, weak bitch.

VikingWarlord
03-11-2008, 06:22 PM
Today's session was absolutely brutal.

Started with some RC work while a rack opened up

Front squats, 2x5: 135, 225
Back squats, 3x5: 275, 295, 315

RDLs, 5x5: 135, 225, 275, 295, 315

Complexes, 4x with 85lbs, then 12 minutes on the treadmill at 3.5mph.

Since I'm cutting, I'm going extremely low volume but heavy as I can.

I was tasting blood at the end of this ****. My calves are cramped in a way they haven't been in many years.

I guess I didn't mention that I currently belong to Built. She's designed my diet and my cardio routine and I'm still using a modified BGB split. She's said that if this thing works the way we want, it may be her biggest success so far (aside from herself, of course ;)).