PDA

View Full Version : Preparation to start Olympic lifting.

MHolmes
08-19-2007, 04:48 PM
Sometime in the near future I would like to start Olympic Lifting. I've read on this site that you need to work on flexibility before you can start, so does anyone know of some resources on how to stretch out to get ready to train Olympic lifts. Also, I'm pretty experienced in the gym so I think I can do a pretty good job of learning the lifts from watching videos off the net (I already d/l a bunch off of crossfit), but does anyone know of any clubs/teams/coaches in Chicago.

All comments, and further advise would be greatly appreciated.

Sleepy Guy
08-19-2007, 09:23 PM
I can not help you with trainers but to build flexibility it is really in the arms and shoulders. Being a lifter you should have the deep squats down pat I would think.

What I use to help warmup is stretch in inner chest and shoulder. One way is to put the arm over head with the elbow bent and hand behind the head. Then press against a wall on your elbow stretching out the inner part of your chest. This helps for snatches.

Another one is bridges?? lie on your back and put your hands fingers towards your back plam facing away. Then raise you back in the air. Pushing your pelvis up. Legs should be as close as you can towards your body. You can do push ups like this as well.

Next would be just do the exercises. The wrists will adjust in time. I use to just hold the bar in the clean position to help strech out the ligaments.

Snatch squat is a good idea as well.

Fuzzy
08-20-2007, 08:03 AM
Stop benching.

Or limit it to a narrow tucked grip. No chest work.

Race Bannon
08-20-2007, 10:54 AM
Overhead squats with a broomstick or dowel.

deeder
08-20-2007, 12:25 PM
Stop benching.

Or limit it to a narrow tucked grip. No chest work.

Really? Why?

The oly lifters at Adrenaline (my gym) bench... Although not heavy...

Sleepy Guy
08-20-2007, 12:44 PM
Nothing wrong with benching and oly. Just do bench after. In my workouts oly comes first to keep up the flexibility.

MHolmes
08-20-2007, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the tips, guys.

Fuzzy
08-20-2007, 11:55 PM
Ok, i didnt mean that literally. Sorry.

I regretted doing too much bench and not enough back work because I couldent do an overhead squat with a bar because my pecs were so tight.

Perosnally I think unless you bench close grip or with proper powerlifting technique, then you shouldent bench at all. I really dont like it and think overhead work is so much more applicable.

But thats just my extremist view.

I was never a good bencher anyway.

Sleepy Guy
08-28-2007, 11:46 PM
Good point there fuzzy. Bench messes with allot of lifts because the pecks are tight but all you have to do it time it right.

My bench was decent but suffered when I started lifting oly more regularly. Could be the lack of training on it. lol

Fuzzy
08-29-2007, 04:07 AM
The pecs do one thing. Stabilise the shoulders.