PDA

View Full Version : How do you classify bag work?

KingJustin
08-20-2007, 01:39 PM
Ok, so if I'm not mistaken, there's strength (max bench), strength-speed (dynamic bench) and speed-strength (clap push-ups).

Where does punching the hell out of a heavy bag fall into this? The bag's resistance is somewhat heavy, but the resistance is only at the end of the punch. Is this completely different than any of these 3 things?

sharkall2003
08-20-2007, 02:38 PM
From the reading I did (which dealt with sled work and bag work) was used as a means of conditioning for when you're doing the other activities. So, mostly for endurance purposes and the stimulation of the muscle fibers. I'd say it's a different form of cardiovascular exercise.

KingJustin
08-20-2007, 03:07 PM
Bag work and sled dragging both definitely can be used for cardio, but I think that it's pretty well accepted that bag work also builds power (probably moreso than anything else). So... I think it's more than just cardio.

Jauncey Lewis
08-20-2007, 05:08 PM
Heavy bag work is more of a cardio workout, plus the power comes from your core, legs and back more than your chest.

pbal17
08-20-2007, 05:50 PM
jauncey, also obviously your arms.

heavy bag work can be a total body workout

Maki Riddington
08-20-2007, 07:27 PM
It's a form of metabolic conditioning depending on what energy system you are targetting.

Short bursts = anaerobic
Long bursts = aerobic

This is a very simple breakdown. This could also be used for sled dragging as well.