PDA

View Full Version : tuna fish sandwhich makes me tired?

mickyjune26
08-20-2007, 04:23 PM
I ate 2 tuna fish sandwiches (1 can tuna in soybean oil. 2 TB mayo. 4 pieces white wheat bread) 60 minutes ago, and now I'm tired and my heart is beating a little harder than normal.

I've had 3 cups of water.

I have to lift in 60-90 minutes.

I would like my energy to be up, ready for my lifts. Should I just keep drinking water or is there something I could eat now to give me energy long enough to last halfway through my lifts, when I take my dextrose/water mixture.

:confused:

In case you need it, here is my diet up to the sandwiches.

Breakfast - AM
2 cups oatmeal
1`scoop ON protein
2 TB corn sugar
4 med eggs
1 TB ketchup

Snack - 11:AM
2 TB Natty PB
1 cup chopped broccoli
3 TB olive oil
salt and pepper

Lunch - tuna meal above - 3:PM

mickyjune26
08-20-2007, 04:33 PM
I'm munching on some peanuts, to see if that helps. I really need to review what different foods do to my blood sugar.

I don't want to eat any hi GI things, lest I crash again in 60 minutes.

mickyjune26
08-20-2007, 05:05 PM
I have energy again (15 min later). My heart isn't beating as hard.

I drank 2 more cups of water and had 1 handful of peanuts.

Gettin' psyched up to lift. RAWR!

Holto
08-20-2007, 08:22 PM
You're using crappy bread I guarantee it.

Stay away from bread that comes from factories, it's just not the same.

mickyjune26
08-20-2007, 11:25 PM
I'm starting to think you're right. Additionally, they are starting to market white "whole wheat bread", even though whole wheat is the 2nd ingredient, not the first.

It's not wheat bread if there is 1 cup of wheat for every 5 cups of white flour. come on, people.

monkeyarms
08-20-2007, 11:29 PM
It's not wheat bread if there is 1 cup of wheat for every 5 cups of white flour. come on, people.

Yeah, you have to watch it....breadmakers can stamp "Wheat" on a loaf of bread if it has the slightest trace of wheat in it. You have to look for "100% whole wheat", or "whole grain", etc. I like the Sara Lee brand...plus we have Sara Lee stores in town that I can get a loaf for half of what it costs at the supermarket....like $1.25 per.

mickyjune26
08-21-2007, 09:40 AM
thanks monkeyarms.

The same thing is happening to me again right now, except it's occuring right after breakfast:

1 cup oats, powderized
1 scoop protein powder ON
2 TB corn sugar
3.5 large eggs

Ate them. felt fine. now 45 min later my heart is beating hard, I feel pretty full and tired.

I wish i knew more about nutrition to understand what is going on and how much of what kind of food I can eat in the future to minimize this.

It really sucks feeling this tired at an office job.

mickyjune26
08-21-2007, 09:42 AM
i'm a dumba$$. 1 cup powderized oats = about 1 3/4 cup raw oats = 3 1/2 cups cooked oats.

The oats are expanding, sucking all the water out of my system, causing my heart to have to beat harder to move the blood cells throughout my body.

if i'm wrong, let me know.

Holto
08-21-2007, 11:02 AM
i'm a dumba$$. 1 cup powderized oats = about 1 3/4 cup raw oats = 3 1/2 cups cooked oats.

The oats are expanding, sucking all the water out of my system, causing my heart to have to beat harder to move the blood cells throughout my body.

if i'm wrong, let me know.

It's the sugar. Try to get all your carbs from a fruit, vegetable or whole grain.

It sounds like you are insulin resistant. Also, never have a lot of carbs without fat.

After a high carb meal get a liter of water.

mickyjune26
08-21-2007, 12:29 PM
Do you have a few articles or possibly an explaination for your elaboration? This way, i learn the concepts behind the actions. :)

Ramstein85
08-21-2007, 12:44 PM
WHOLEWHEAT BREAD ALL THE WAY. I stopped eating white bread and forced my family to do so too! they are loving the wholewheat pitta/ toast now :)

Trevor M.
08-21-2007, 02:09 PM
In both situations you consumed a high GI food (White bread and corn sugar). I'm not anyone who specializes is diagnosing conditions. However, It sounds like a hypoglycemic attack. I would suggest you remove the white bread and replace it with 100% whole wheat. Remove the corn sugar in place of a low GI sweetener such as "stevia" or "inulin" or many other low GI sweeteners available.

Odd though, usually when things such as white bread and other "high" GI foods are combined with a good deal of protein/fat. The GI of the entire meal drops drastically. This signifies you are very sensitive and might want to communicate with a doctor.

Holto
08-21-2007, 03:17 PM
Do you have a few articles or possibly an explaination for your elaboration? This way, i learn the concepts behind the actions. :)

In essence it is the job of insulin to lower blood sugar by encouraging uptake of glucose into the cells of the body.

When you have tissues that are 'resisting' the effects of insulin your body compensates by secreting more insulin. This is a downward spiral where you are now becoming even less sensitive because of an over exposure to insulin.

The solution. Clean up your diet. Balance out your meals. Drop the mass produced garbage bread and start getting some rugged bread from a bakery.

Any time you eat a large quantity of carbs:

1) make sure they are the best source
2) include fat in the meal
3) include protein in the meal
4) drink water after the meal

Any specific questions you have fire away. I can't link a specific article that sums it up nicely although I can recommend the book Fat Wars. I read it at the perfect time in my learning curve because I had just begun to understand most of the concepts and he sews it together very nicely.

Holto
08-21-2007, 03:18 PM
This signifies you are very sensitive and might want to communicate with a doctor.

Doctors suck horribly at treating such things. This is the job for a nutritional therapist.

Trevor M.
08-21-2007, 03:37 PM
I can agree with that^. Though, If he already has a doctor (as is more likely then him already having an RD). Than asking him in the meantime, while searching for a competent RD, be beneficial?

Holto
08-21-2007, 05:15 PM
Than asking him in the meantime, while searching for a competent RD, be beneficial?

I severely doubt it. Most Dr's get less than 20 hours of education re: nutrition. I'm sure overall with what they know about the body they could help. The problem is 90% of the time it falls on deaf ears and people wouldn't implement their advice.

Trevor M.
08-21-2007, 05:18 PM
Oh trust me, I am more then well knowledgeable of most Doctors lack of knowledge in nutrition (and many other subjects for that matter).

Darcy Tucker
08-21-2007, 05:28 PM
It's the sugar. Try to get all your carbs from a fruit, vegetable or whole grain.

It sounds like you are insulin resistant. Also, never have a lot of carbs without fat.

After a high carb meal get a liter of water.

Holto out of curiosity why do you say to not have a lot of carbs without fat?

Trevor M.
08-21-2007, 05:46 PM
It lowers the overall GI by slowing gastric emptying.

Holto
08-21-2007, 08:47 PM
It lowers the overall GI by slowing gastric emptying.

:thumbup:

mickyjune26
08-21-2007, 09:50 PM
Does "slowing gastric emptying" mean that it digests more slowly?

mickyjune26
08-21-2007, 09:54 PM
I'll clean up my diet. Is there a way to tell how much complex carbs I could take in the morning, without crashing?

Until I get a chance to buy some good, rugged bread, I'll just take oatmeal instead.

Holto
08-22-2007, 08:56 AM
Is there a way to tell how much complex carbs I could take in the morning, without crashing?

Just like determining maintenance calories it's something that is observed.

I'll clean up my diet. Is there a way to tell how much complex carbs I could take in the morning, without crashing?

Until I get a chance to buy some good, rugged bread, I'll just take oatmeal instead.

Oatmeal >>> Bread.

Does "slowing gastric emptying" mean that it digests more slowly?

Yes, and this is a good thing. A nice slow release of glucose into the blood results in a better insulin response.

mickyjune26
08-22-2007, 09:14 AM
that's answers all my q's for now. Did some reading until 1am last night. Trying to catch up to ya'lls level of knowledge.

thanks again.