PDA

View Full Version : My Diet/Workout to get cut....critique it

kevind345
08-21-2007, 07:38 PM
Bench: 155 Max (im weak)
Squat: 230-235 Max
Deadlift: Not too sure I don't do the exercise too much im going to say 200-215 Max

Okay....

I'm 21, about 5' 9-10, and i weigh 158lbs, 13% body fat

My goals are - Get to about 8% body fat and have a more muscular back/abdomen.

I have tried lifting workouts, but have not be able to be serious enough, I would like to seriously put some muscle on by following a proper work out plan and 40/30/30 type diet or something of the sort but I have not been able to commit yet. So would right now I would just like get more cut, and quick

CHECK OUT MY PLAN:

My plan is to eat 2000 calories a day

6 meals a day, stay away from sugar, sat. fats...40/40/20 diet split

3 times a week 45 minutes of cardio...switching it up to keep my body from getting bored

Possible 2-3 times a week of lifting, most likely going with the CORE exercises and Bench Squat Deadlift, because they are essential.

let me know if you think this will work and I can reach my goal in 2-3 months???
criticize it and w/e I need the help!!! thanks

Trevor M.
08-21-2007, 08:20 PM
I'm assuming you want to loose weight. As at 2,000 calories that will put you into a deficient. 40/30/30 is fine for the average person. 40/40/20 makes it a tad hard to attain the correct balance between sat,mono, and polly.

I wouldn't think you would need to loose much weight at your hight/weight. So this should be a fairly quick "cut".

Why so stuck on 45 minutes? LISSc is fine in all, but mix it up man! Add some HISSc or/and some HIIT.

Remember to try to keep lifting and "cardio" on different days.

Strange your squat is higher than your dead lift...

Con
08-21-2007, 08:25 PM
I'm assuming you want to loose weight. As at 2,000 calories that will put you into a deficient. 40/30/30 is fine for the average person. 40/40/20 makes it a tad hard to attain the correct balance between sat,mono, and polly.

I wouldn't think you would need to loose much weight at your hight/weight. So this should be a fairly quick "cut".

Why so stuck on 45 minutes? LISSc is fine in all, but mix it up man! Add some HISSc or/and some HIIT.

Remember to try to keep lifting and "cardio" on different days.

Strange your squat is higher than your dead lift...

Using percentages can leave the person lacking helathy fats and protein depending on calorie levels.

Having cardio(depending on type) and weight lifting on the same day can help with recovery.

Trevor M.
08-21-2007, 08:41 PM
Using percentages can leave the person lacking helathy fats and protein depending on calorie levels.
This person did not request this information. He asked specifically if that macro breakdown can be successful.

Having cardio(depending on type) and weight lifting on the same day can help with recovery.
I'm well aware of that. However, with weight loss as his main goal. Spreading these out on different days is optimal.

High intensity anaerobic events are best recovered from by using LISSc. It does not have to last 45. Most studies show simply 5 minutes or so of LISSc after a resistance training event encourages greater recovery. If his 45 minutes were spent doing "cardio" at or above LTH then that would be counter productive and not beneficial to felicitating better recovery.

Specifically, a beginner can generally not do squats and deads in a workout then go and hope to run/bike with any hopes of maintaining a decent intensity.

Con
08-21-2007, 08:51 PM
This person did not request this information. He asked specifically if that macro breakdown can be successful.

A lot of things can be succesful, inspite of what the person does. Its the fact of the matter that its not optimal to use percentages.

Specifically, a beginner can generally not do squats and deads in a workout then go and hope to run/bike with any hopes of maintaining a decent intensity.

A beginner should also be focusing on the basics, not necessairly trying to "cut".

Trevor M.
08-21-2007, 09:00 PM
A lot of things can be succesful, inspite of what the person does. Its the fact of the matter that its not optimal to use percentages. I'm not disagreeing with you. However, This person didn't ask on rather its optimal or not to use %. If you do not believe it is than tell him specifically and explain your reasoning. I see not your point in quoting me and tell me their not "optimal".

A beginner should also be focusing on the basics, not necessairly trying to "cut".

Again, your telling me this for what reason?

Hes trying to loose weight. Except instead of that, he called it "cutting". What do you propose a person wanting to loose weight should do in the beginning? As he has made a plan, made a calorie intake goal and is checking to see if he is basically on the right track.
What do you believe he should do instead? As you seem to have a problem with it.

I see not a point for any of your post in this thread. Neither of which help him or educate me in anyway.

Con
08-21-2007, 09:05 PM
Only reason I started this was basically because you are advocating(somewhat indirectly) using percentages for dieting, which is asinine. Thats all I wanted to say.

Ill keep my opinions to myself from now on ey.

Trevor M.
08-21-2007, 09:17 PM
As I said, if you believe that to be true. Than you should educate the OP by explaining why. A blatant statement without an actual explanation towards me will not help him or prove a point.

No need to get touchy. No one said you should keep your opinions to yourself.

Trevor M.
08-21-2007, 09:24 PM
A couple more things, to the OP.

6meals a day is great for helping prevent hunger along with other factors during a deficient. However, It won't up regulate your metabolism to any real world degree. That is a very common misconception.

2,000 calories might be a tad on the low side.

Any more specific quetions please feel free to ask.

Bako Lifter
08-21-2007, 09:31 PM
Knock it off guys, you both gave good advice.

Trevor, don't call people out on advice unless it is wrong. And play nice :), seems like you know a lot. Welcome to WBB.

Trevor M.
08-21-2007, 09:45 PM
seems like you know a lot. Welcome to WBB.

Thank you.

RichMcGuire
08-21-2007, 09:46 PM
Sorry its just a pet peeve, but its "LOSE" and "HEIGHT" ;)

But good advice Trevor :)

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-21-2007, 09:49 PM
Sorry its just a pet peeve, but its "LOSE" and "HEIGHT" ;)

But good advice Trevor :)1) It's "it's", not "its".
2) You don't begin sentences with the word "but".
3) Your entire sentence is horribly constructed.
4) ...I'm done...

Trevor M.
08-21-2007, 09:51 PM
But good advice Trevor :)
Thank you.

RichMcGuire
08-21-2007, 09:53 PM
1) It's "it's", not "its".
4) ...I'm done...

Too bad none of those are my pet peeves. And I seem to recall you calling people out on it many times.

Nice try :thumbup:

Trevor M.
08-21-2007, 09:53 PM
1) It's "it's", not "its".
4) ...I'm done...

Lmao, ohh thats funny...

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-21-2007, 09:54 PM
Too bad none of those are my pet peeves. And I seem to recall you calling people out on it many times.

Nice try :thumbup:I'm just being facetious. ;) And yes...the lose and loose thing is irritating.

RichMcGuire
08-21-2007, 09:56 PM
I'm just being facetious. ;)

The word "LOOSE" for "LOSE" makes my OCD kick in hardcore, lol.

I know you were just playin bro :)

Trevor M.
08-21-2007, 09:58 PM
I'm just being facetious. ;) And yes...the lose and loose thing is irritating.

Being as I'm not here to impress anyone with my grammar. I type without much thought as to exactly how "correct" it is.

Perhaps I would benefit from proof reading what I type.;)

Trevor M.
08-21-2007, 09:59 PM
I know you were just playin bro :)

Hmm, I figured sCaRz*Of*PaiN was a girl...

RichMcGuire
08-21-2007, 10:03 PM
Hmm, I figured sCaRz*Of*PaiN was a girl...

Whys that? :scratch:

Built
08-21-2007, 10:59 PM
Bench: 155 Max (im weak)
Squat: 230-235 Max
Deadlift: Not too sure I don't do the exercise too much im going to say 200-215 Max

Okay....

I'm 21, about 5' 9-10, and i weigh 158lbs, 13% body fat

My goals are - Get to about 8% body fat and have a more muscular back/abdomen.

I have tried lifting workouts, but have not be able to be serious enough, I would like to seriously put some muscle on by following a proper work out plan and 40/30/30 type diet or something of the sort but I have not been able to commit yet. So would right now I would just like get more cut, and quick

CHECK OUT MY PLAN:

My plan is to eat 2000 calories a day

6 meals a day, stay away from sugar, sat. fats...40/40/20 diet split

3 times a week 45 minutes of cardio...switching it up to keep my body from getting bored

Possible 2-3 times a week of lifting, most likely going with the CORE exercises and Bench Squat Deadlift, because they are essential.

let me know if you think this will work and I can reach my goal in 2-3 months???
criticize it and w/e I need the help!!! thanks

Ratio approaches are flawed in that they target essential macronutrients to a rapidly moving target: calories. More accurate and modern approaches are to target them to LBM. See my diet link in my sig for more on this.

Saturated fat induces insulin resistance, which is actually beneficial on a cut. Read the works of Jeff Volek for more on this.

And I like to ease into HIIT for cutting. Read how to do cardio if you must if you'd like to see more on this topic.

Focusing on deads, squats and bench press won't fail you, bulking or cutting. Good luck!

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-21-2007, 11:10 PM
Whys that? :scratch:Probably because he feels my alien cat avatar threatens his masculinity or something.

Trevor M.
08-21-2007, 11:17 PM
Probably because he feels my alien cat avatar threatens his masculinity or something.

You just come off as a girl to me...

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-21-2007, 11:18 PM
That's possibly the worst observation I've come across on this site. You've been here for what...3 seconds?

Trevor M.
08-21-2007, 11:25 PM
Lol, The name, the avatar... I can't help the fact that you just come off as a girl to me.

Between the name and avatar I would assume you were an Emo girl...:)

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-21-2007, 11:29 PM
The name refers to the decade of having a shattered knee. Don't make stupid assumptions. I have a six inch scar across my knee. A lovely memory of the past. Dealt with a lot of other crap as well. I thought the name was fitting at the time. Would it be more manly if I had a pic of the Hulk eating a cat while having a BBQ and shooting a gun at some bunnies?

Trevor M.
08-21-2007, 11:31 PM
Why are you worried about my assumptions? No hard feelings mate so no need to get touchy or anything like that. Its just a simple statement.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-21-2007, 11:33 PM
It was irritating.

Trevor M.
08-21-2007, 11:35 PM
Well then mate if it makes you feel better. I don't believe your a 13 year old emo girl after speaking with you for a moment...

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-21-2007, 11:36 PM
Back on topic.

Bako Lifter
08-22-2007, 12:00 AM
ROFL. I'm sure he didn't mean it in a disrepectufl way Scarz, haha.

RichMcGuire
08-22-2007, 12:16 AM
ROFL. I'm sure he didn't mean it in a disrepectufl way Scarz, haha.

It was still an assumption that should have never of been made though ;)

Built
08-22-2007, 02:29 AM
That's interesting - I've been taken for a guy a whole pile of times. The guys who thought so were invariably embarrassed to have made such an assumption. I always just thought it was funny.

Meh. Carb depleted. Don't mind me.

kevind345
08-22-2007, 12:00 PM
WOOW i checked this and saw 33 responses, and i was like whooa, I didnt think i was going to start a massive argument,

So I guess here is the next question, since summer is almost over, and there is not that much of a need to have a cut body i guess, do you guys think i should just start bulking for the next few months then cut down in 9 months or so? Lately I have been thinking instead of worrying about bulking and "getting big" and in turn putting on more fat I'd just stay lean and get more "defined" This is why I was thinking of just going down the route of losing 5-10 pounds of fat and getting down to around 8-9% body fat with defined abs. But reading through this and since the forum is titled "wannabebig" I am now contimplating going down the buiking then cutting road. I weigh about 155-158 now like i said before, soo...

1. How long do you guys think it would take to bulk up to 175, and then cut down to a low BF%?

2. Would you reccomend I bulk and gain some size (because i still would like size, I just though id get cut instead because it would be a lil easier and quicker) OR just go with the cardio workout and try to get to my BF% goal right now?

PS I can spell for my life so sorry.

kevind345
08-22-2007, 12:01 PM
WOOW i checked this and saw 33 responses, and i was like whooa, I didnt think i was going to start a massive argument,

So I guess here is the next question, since summer is almost over, and there is not that much of a need to have a cut body i guess, do you guys think i should just start bulking for the next few months then cut down in 9 months or so? Lately I have been thinking instead of worrying about bulking and "getting big" and in turn putting on more fat I'd just stay lean and get more "defined" This is why I was thinking of just going down the route of losing 5-10 pounds of fat and getting down to around 8-9% body fat with defined abs. But reading through this and since the forum is titled "wannabebig" I am now contimplating going down the buiking then cutting road. I weigh about 155-158 now like i said before, soo...

1. How long do you guys think it would take to bulk up to 175, and then cut down to a low BF%?

2. Would you reccomend I bulk and gain some size (because i still would like size, I just though id get cut instead because it would be a lil easier and quicker) OR just go with the cardio workout and try to get to my BF% goal right now?

PS I can spell for my life so sorry.

Built
08-22-2007, 12:24 PM
Okay, so splitting the differences, at 157 lbs and figuring you'll lose 7.5 lbs to get to 8.5% bodyfat, you currently have about 136 lbs of LBM. This means you're hovering at around 13% bodyfat at the moment.

If you bulk slowly, say at a rate of 4-5 lbs a month, you could bulk from now until the end of January and end your bulk at around 180 lbs before you begin your cut. If you're lucky, you might gain 10-12 lbs of lean mass, putting you at say just under 150 lbs lbm. At 180 lbs and 150 lbs LBM, you'll be at about 17% bodyfat - at which point a really good cut would get you down to 160 lbs at say 6-7% bodyfat. So, plan to lose slowly from January, do an intelligent cut to drop 20 lbs over say 20 weeks and you'll see yourself lean by the beginning of July.

Unless I got the math wrong.

Use this calculator (http://builtblog.wikidbody.com/calcs/bfcalc/) to check some scenarios if you like.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-22-2007, 01:30 PM
That's interesting - I've been taken for a guy a whole pile of times. The guys who thought so were invariably embarrassed to have made such an assumption. I always just thought it was funny.

Meh. Carb depleted. Don't mind me.It was because you used to have that pic of your massively ripped, feminine biceps of doom...and combine that with your name "Built"...

But I don't know how anyone mistakes you for a guy when there's a picture of you wearing a bikini in your avatar. :scratch:

kevind345
08-23-2007, 04:50 PM
[QUOTE=Built;1767351]Okay, so splitting the differences, at 157 lbs and figuring you'll lose 7.5 lbs to get to 8.5% bodyfat, you currently have about 136 lbs of LBM. This means you're hovering at around 13% bodyfat at the moment.

If you bulk slowly, say at a rate of 4-5 lbs a month, you could bulk from now until the end of January and end your bulk at around 180 lbs before you begin your cut. If you're lucky, you might gain 10-12 lbs of lean mass, putting you at say just under 150 lbs lbm. At 180 lbs and 150 lbs LBM, you'll be at about 17% bodyfat - at which point a really good cut would get you down to 160 lbs at say 6-7% bodyfat. So, plan to lose slowly from January, do an intelligent cut to drop 20 lbs over say 20 weeks and you'll see yourself lean by the beginning of July.

Unless I got the math wrong.

Built;
thanks for all the good advise, Maybe you can make a random estimate....say the above pans out will 10-12 lbs of muscle look a lot different? or will I just look really cut and not that much thicker(bigger with more dense muscle)?

I saw a journal by RichMcGuire, and he also posted here...in his journal it just looked like he ate junk for his whole bulk....do you think that could work for anyone or he was just lucky that he didnt get really fat?

Because I heard before if you want to get big just eat A lot and workout, and you will gain some muscle, then just cut the fat off later.....now id rather gain as much lean mass as I can but it seems like Rich ate Mcdonals and drank beer and managed to gain mass but not a lot of fat....? can you advise?

I plan on just following your carb cycling diet plan to bulk anyways im just curious? thanks a lot!!!

Built
08-23-2007, 05:10 PM
Kevin, the only reason I carb-cycle is to manage my appetite - you do NOT have to, and junk-food bulks are fine if you can manage intake. I overeat too easily - junk food makes me hungrier so this just HAPPENS. If I've just described you, then you'll have to track your calories. If you're okay winging it, you can just monitor your gains and look in the mirror. When you become unbearably squishy, well, cut back a bit. Beyond a certain point you won't gain a lot more muscle for the extra weight of a massive, old-school bulk.

There seems to be a sweet spot for muscle gain. For me, I seem to partition best around 18%-22%, not sure how this translates for guys but it would of course be lower, maybe 5-6 percentage points lower? Pretending this is factual (I love fairy tales!), if YOU partition best in, say, the 12%-16%, then anything much higher than 16% will tend to promote fat storage.

There's a finite limit to how much muscle you can gain in a month. Who knows WHAT this number is, but it ain't huge. I gained 0.6 LB LBM per month my last bulk (old, female, unassisted, already well developed muscle size) so the 4 lbs of muscle weren't worth the 14-lb fat gain. Live and learn. I've heard ballpark estimates that suggest 2 lbs a month is pretty decent for a guy, that's what I'm assuming in the absence of experimental data. (MORE fairy tales! See? I totally LOVE them!)

To make a short story long, 12 lbs of muscle will make a significant difference to your appearance, particularly when you're lucky enough to NOT be 6'4"!

RichMcGuire
08-24-2007, 12:23 AM
Built;
thanks for all the good advise, Maybe you can make a random estimate....say the above pans out will 10-12 lbs of muscle look a lot different? or will I just look really cut and not that much thicker(bigger with more dense muscle)?

I saw a journal by RichMcGuire, and he also posted here...in his journal it just looked like he ate junk for his whole bulk....do you think that could work for anyone or he was just lucky that he didnt get really fat?

Because I heard before if you want to get big just eat A lot and workout, and you will gain some muscle, then just cut the fat off later.....now id rather gain as much lean mass as I can but it seems like Rich ate Mcdonals and drank beer and managed to gain mass but not a lot of fat....? can you advise?

I plan on just following your carb cycling diet plan to bulk anyways im just curious? thanks a lot!!!

I did eat McDonalds everyday. I would order 4 cheeseburgers and a large fry and then bring them home and add 1 tbsp of mayo and some sliced green olives to each burger to make olive burgers. Later in the day, I drank beer for calories and to spark my hunger (and for fun, lol) This added to about 1900 calories or so from McDonalds and then maybe 300-400 from beer. But my goal for the day was 3,500 - 4,000 calories a day. In the end, its all about calorie manipulation as long as you get enough protein to support the growth process ;)

Keep in mind too that this was my first real bulk. Right now, Im taking it slower calorie-wise but Im seeing even faster results in the mirror. I think this is the "sweet-spot" for me that Built talked about. Its weird to drop a bunch of calories and then still see fast progress. On a side note, my protein is higher than it was before. And according to my scales, I havent added bodyweight but in the mirror, theres noticeable differences forming.

Herandi
08-24-2007, 05:40 AM
The name refers to the decade of having a shattered knee. Don't make stupid assumptions. I have a six inch scar across my knee. A lovely memory of the past. Dealt with a lot of other crap as well. I thought the name was fitting at the time. Would it be more manly if I had a pic of the Hulk eating a cat while having a BBQ and shooting a gun at some bunnies?

i think it may ;)

kevind345
08-24-2007, 09:45 AM
I did eat McDonalds everyday. I would order 4 cheeseburgers and a large fry and then bring them home and add 1 tbsp of mayo and some sliced green olives to each burger to make olive burgers. Later in the day, I drank beer for calories and to spark my hunger (and for fun, lol) This added to about 1900 calories or so from McDonalds and then maybe 300-400 from beer. But my goal for the day was 3,500 - 4,000 calories a day. In the end, its all about calorie manipulation as long as you get enough protein to support the growth process ;)

Keep in mind too that this was my first real bulk. Right now, Im taking it slower calorie-wise but Im seeing even faster results in the mirror. I think this is the "sweet-spot" for me that Built talked about. Its weird to drop a bunch of calories and then still see fast progress. On a side note, my protein is higher than it was before. And according to my scales, I havent added bodyweight but in the mirror, theres noticeable differences forming.

Okay so basically you did eat crappy food, but you maintained a proper amount of protein for muscle gain? say like 1g per pound of LBM and day...or is that low? And you still managed to bulk and not gain much fat? did you do cardio also?...or just lift...i cant remember how many days a week did you lift and how long was each session? thanks a lot for the replies Build and Rich

RichMcGuire
08-24-2007, 01:15 PM
Okay so basically you did eat crappy food, but you maintained a proper amount of protein for muscle gain? say like 1g per pound of LBM and day...or is that low? And you still managed to bulk and not gain much fat? did you do cardio also?...or just lift...i cant remember how many days a week did you lift and how long was each session? thanks a lot for the replies Build and Rich

Its more about calorie manipulation. You need to stay within an average caloric intake every week. If your goal is 3,500 calories on average, try your best to get it each day. Sometimes you wont and thats okay, just try to make up for it the next day. You need enough calories. Muscles have to come from somewhere ;)

You do want to make sure youre getting enough protein. 1- 1.5 grams per bodyweight is what most people throw around. I personally just made sure I ate a lot of it. I only counted my calories. So try counting your calories each day and plan on gaining about a pound a week. Thats about 4 lbs a month. Its better to look at the end of the month and see how much youve gained. For me, I would gain 2 lbs in one week and then maybe only .5 lbs the next week even though I ate the same and lifted the same. The 500 calorie increase/decrease a week is more accurate for weight loss. Muscle is harder to be definite. But regardless, if youre not gaining, its safe to say you need more calories each day.

"Crappy food"is a misconception. A macro is a macro. The "crappy" part of it really entails actual health reasons and not so much body composition.

I did no cardio. I started off with a full body routine, then a modified BGB routine, and then I made most of my gains with BGB. So if I had to make a suggestion, I would try Built's BGB. Its a 4 day push/pull split. Its not just a typical program. Theres tons of science that surrounds it that proves its one of the most effective routines around.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-24-2007, 03:12 PM
You can get morbidly obese eating "healthy".