PDA

View Full Version : Never too late for a journal...

GoodThings
08-23-2007, 03:31 PM
Hey all, my name is Chris and I started lifting early in 2006 after visiting WannaBeBig.com. I owe a good bit of my knowledge and inspiration to members on this site. I'm a lurker at heart but I'm looking to maybe put some change to that.

I have been browsing around through others journals and decided it is finally time I start one. I've never been good at logging my lifts, weight, diet, supplements, or progress pictures, but I think this may be a good place for all that.

I've been into lifting since April 2006, and haven't given up since. Most of my results I feel were had in the first three months of lifting (in fact, many of my lifts have not gone anywhere since June06, and my bodyweight hasn't changed much either). I have been working out hard since then, and I have a decent diet. All my hard work must just balance out with my bodies tendency to lose its newfound muscle.

Baseline from today (August 23 2007)

5'7
158lbs
Body Fat unknown

Pics coming tonight.

Current routine

Monday Chest/Triceps (Flat bench Press 3 sets, Incline bench 3 sets, Weighted dips 3 sets, tricep pressdowns 3 sets, leg curls 3 sets , cardio bike or elliptical for 15-25 minutes)

Tuesday Shoulders/ Abs (Shoulder press 3 sets, shrugs 3 sets, side raises 3 sets, front raises 3 sets, abs 4 sets, calf raises 3 sets, cardio bike or elliptical for 15-25 minutes)

Wednesday Back / Biceps (Deadlifts 3 sets, low row 3 sets, weighted wide grip pullups, weighted close grip pullups 3 sets, biceps hammer curls 3 sets, squats 3 sets, no cardio)

Thursday Varies , (On Thursdays, I'll usually pick a bodypart or several bodyparts I feel are lagging, and work them 3 sets. Usually I'll stay away from whatever exercise I did Wednesday, and I vary my M-T-W up in rotation for this reason) Also 20 minutes stair climb.

Friday I usually miss the gym Friday and rest

Sat/Sunday I'll try to hit the gym once on Sat/Sun and just do experimental lifting stuff and cardio. Not a long day, 40 minutes total usually.

I'll post diet, routine, supplements, and pictures later in this thread.

GoodThings
08-23-2007, 08:05 PM
I've never been good at taking pictures, but I need to get something up here. All of these were taken tonight Aug 23, 2007.

GoodThings
08-24-2007, 12:49 AM
Believe it or not, June 26 2006, (and I haven't given up training a week since then).

Needless to say, leaves me feel sort of lost at the gym.

GoodThings
08-26-2007, 01:06 PM
Sunday Aug 26:

Ran 2.5 miles and did some dumbell weights in my house. Not really in the mood to get out to the gym, but this starts the week off better than nothing.

Drank some beer last night, kind of makes me feel like I'm going backwards.

Wales81
08-26-2007, 01:30 PM
Hi mate, I'm pretty sure you'll get some advice from, the members here that'll get you back progressing - props to you for sticking with it with no real gains for over a year: that sort of drive combined with the pointers you'll get here could make for some real solid gains.

What are your goals - do you train for a sport/health/BB?

GoodThings
08-27-2007, 06:53 PM
I train for bodybuilding. Its tough to think that I haven't really made gains in most areas. The biggest problem is that I am training hard, I am eating well, and I am disciplined across the board. I really understand where a lot of guys are when it comes to taking some "enhancers". It just gets to a point where you hit a brick wall.

Workout tonight:

Did a very heavy chest workout:

flat bench warmup 135lbs x 15
" 225lbs x 5
" 245lbs x 5
" 265lbs x 3
" 265lbs x 3

incline bench

135 x 5 warmup
175 x 5
175 x 5
205 x 5
205 x 5

flys

fly machine forget the weight but did 8 reps and concentrated on full range of motion. I'm trying to introduce better ROM across the board, and more concentration on the movement than the reps and weight. Feels good.

Tricep pressdowns I forget the weight. I need to remember the numbers, I do the stack with a 20lbs bar (the crossover machine, Hammer Strength brand). Get this number for next time.

stack x 10
stack x 10
stack x 8
stack x 8

Did elliptical cardio machine, kept heart rate at 170+ steady for 15 minutes or so. Machine says 190 calories burned.

I'll try to get some good sleep tonight.

Coke
08-28-2007, 05:20 AM
Stayed on track for a whole year and it shows, that's great...nice benching and all.

GoodThings
08-28-2007, 04:23 PM
Just checking in, about the hit the gym and hopefully remember some numbers.

Woke up today with a pain between my thigh and hip, one of the tendons or something in my hip. This brings up the issue of my general health in the last 6 months. I've been prone to injury every 2-3 weeks in the gym, despite concentration on form and safety.

Running seemed to have been the cause of most of it, but this time and just once before, I felt pains in my hip area, or lower back, using the bike and elliptical. Go figure, hope this heals fast and I can blame it on a twist somewhere along the line.

One other issue while on the topic of cardio work: Does anyone favor the bike / elliptical over treadmill? I find that the "calories burned" seems slowest on the bike, and therefore I favor running or elliptical. I may also give the stair master a shot, we have a few at our gym.

GoodThings
08-29-2007, 12:37 PM
Tuesday:

Shoulders and Abs

Soon into my workout (after first exercise) I was feeling bummed for no apparant reason. I felt like taking off early, but then just pushed through it. Things got better at the halfway point as I was feeling more pumped. I think I might need some new music or something, something as simple as a bad shuffle of songs seems to put me in the wrong mood.

Shoulder Press

40 x 15
60 x 10
70 x 8
75 x 7
75 x 7

single side laterals

25 x 10
25 x 10
40 x 10
45 x 10
50 x 7 (Started cheating)

Front raises

15 x 15
30 x 10
30 x 10
35 x 10

Smith Shrugs (bar count as 0)

90 x 12
140 x 10
140 x 10
180 x 8
180 x 8

Comment on my shrugs, I never feel like these are working for me. Any alternate trap excerise that isolates that muscle well? (Besides DB or BB shrugs, all three just haven't felt fluid for me for awhile now)

Abs I tried some different excerises playing around. They may not have worked well, I have no soreness today at all. Hanging leg lifts, body rotations on the dip platform, and slow leg raises. Was doing lots of volume, 15-25 per set of most of this stuff. I'll go back to the ab crunch machines next week, or put an ab set in again on Thursday.

I skipped cardio tonight, despite taking some extra glutamine in prep for it. I'll put myself through extra pain tonight.

GoodThings
08-29-2007, 12:38 PM
Hip pain is still present, I'm walking kind of awkward today. I can't tell if it has gotten better or worse, I'm paying too much attention to it today. I'll do the bike and the elliptical tonight for 60+ minutes. If I have a real problem I'll find out in the morning.

Wales81
08-29-2007, 03:08 PM
Good numbers mate - I daresay you have made progress over the past 12 months, you are just hungry for more, faster (which is a good thing, but don;t let it get negative - I do this all the time!) For the traps, it is generally the shrugging mvmts that are recommended and I often feel like I'm cheating on dbell and barbell versions... I feel like I get a better squeeze if I do them on the standing calf raise machine, hold them at the top for a second and then lower slowly. Also, a way of hitting them slightly differently is face down on an incline bench with dbells hanging by your sides - it takes away the tendency (that I have, atleast) to cheat. Maybe trying these variations will help? Otherwise, upright rows hit the traps pretty good.

Coke
08-30-2007, 05:45 AM
The best thing to start out with shrugs are DBs then graduate over to the BBs...strong shoulder sets.

GoodThings
08-30-2007, 11:43 AM
I felt more pumped up last night at the gym than any other in recent months.

Deadlifts

15 x 135
15 x 135
8 x 225
8 x 225
5 x 275
5 x 275

BB Rows

45 x 25
135 x 10
185x 6
185 x 6
185 x 6

Low Row hammer strength sit down machine, v handle

120lbs x 10
180 x 7
180 x 7
180 x 7

wide grip pullups

BW x 8
BW+25 x 5
BW+25 x 5
BW+25 x 5
BW+25 x 3 (was feeling weak on energy for some reason)

Bicep hammer curls

40 x 8
45 x 8
50 x 6
50 x 4

Went down for cardio very pumped up and determined. I spent over an hour between the elliptical and bike, keeping heartrate 165+ mostly throughout. I dont know how accurate the readings are on these Lifefitness type machines, but I can usually feel it in my chest pretty accurately.

I probably overtrained badly, but I went home and ate more than usual, and took an extra scoop of Nitrean, extra 2g of l-glutamine, and ETS pills which I rarely take anymore.

Also spent 2 hours reading through a new book I bought called Brother Iron Sister Steel written by Dave Draper. I'm not sure as to whether this is the type of book I should be taking any advice from, but I'm due for an overhaul of any sort.

My only worry is moving into this new workout I chose from the book, that without some anabolic helpers, I may not be able to keep up with some of this volume.

Onto the NEW PROGRAM (mostly from the book, with slight variation):

Monday: 10 minutes intense cardio, 10 minutes abdominal work (I will do this daily, as per Dave Draper, but vary the exercises throughout the week).

Chest / Tri / Shoulder

Flat Bench BB
Crossover pulley chest
incline DB
shoulder press
Side Laterals
Tricep pressdown with curl bar

Tuesday: 10 minutes intense cardio, 10 minutes abdominal work (I will do this daily, as per Dave Draper, but vary the exercises throughout the week).

Back / Bi

Deadlifts
BB Row
Low Row
Pullups wide grip
Bicep hammer curls or concentration

Wednesday: 10 minutes intense cardio, 10 minutes abdominal work (I will do this daily, as per Dave Draper, but vary the exercises throughout the week).

Leg Day + shoulder

Squats
Leg Curls supersetted with Leg Extensions
Calf raises
Shrugs
Front DB raises

Thursday: 10 minutes intense cardio, 10 minutes abdominal work (I will do this daily, as per Dave Draper, but vary the exercises throughout the week).

Chest / Tri / Shoulder

Flat Bench BB
Crossover pulley chest
incline DB
shoulder press
Side Laterals
Tricep pressdown with curl bar

Friday (or day off then Saturday): 10 minutes intense cardio, 10 minutes abdominal work (I will do this daily, as per Dave Draper, but vary the exercises throughout the week).

Back / Bi

Deadlifts
BB Row
Low Row
Pullups wide grip
Bicep hammer curls or concentration

I think if I keep my diet extra straight and sleep a bit extra, I can keep up with this volume. What does anyone here think about the 5 days ab work? I'm a guy who thought 3 days was too heavy for abs, and most of the time train them once per week. Recently I've been reading alot suggesting abs are a more forgiving body part though...

Shouji
08-30-2007, 11:51 AM
I would add a rest day on either wednesday or thursday. 5 days in a row! That is alot.

GoodThings
08-30-2007, 12:08 PM
You know, that is probably a good move, but as far as my personal life goes, I like to go out Fridays and Saturdays and Sundays. These are all much better days for me to take off. For the last year and a half I've been able to ATLEAST hit the gym M-T-W-T with no troubles. For some reason work day workouts are more natural to me, I've built a good habbit out of this.

I can't describe the feeling I have when I take a rest day halfway through the week like that, on a Wednesday. It feels like I would be getting more done at the gym than "resting". I like the plan the "rest" days to coincide with the days I don't want to be at the gym at all! (Weekends! =D)

But, that might be just me.

GoodThings
09-08-2007, 01:26 PM
Finished the 5 day week, it went pretty well. My lower back was still sore going into day 5, so I substituted a few exercises.

I'm going to make the following revisions:

Day 1 Chest will include separate chest exercises than Day 2 Chest
Day 1 Back will included separate back exercises than Day 2 Back

I also put my "push" shoulder work on Chest 1 and 2, and "pull shoulder work on Back 1 and 2. Leg day was hard enough alone, I'm just starting to remember what these "squat" things are. They kill me.

Speaking of which, my squats NEED to get stronger.

My big 3 this week were:

BB Bench 245x5repx4sets
Deads 225x6repsx4sets (I have room to go somewhere here)
Squats 175x8repsx5sets

The above is probably all pointing to my legs being at fault.

GoodThings
09-08-2007, 01:28 PM
Bodyweight 159lbs (for my own reference, starting workout before water)

GoodThings
09-11-2007, 12:55 PM
157 this morning. I seem to always be a little lighter in the mornings.

Hard week ahead.

Monday went well.

Accomplishment:

Did a 265 set for 4 reps, I think this is a first as of any recent time.
Flys seem a small bit stronger.

Notes:

Shoulder press was much weaker, performed at the end of my chest workout (after tricep pressdowns). I need to keep this within my first 2 exercises or it suffers.

Tricep pressdowns are feeling stronger, but I've developed a small case of tendonitis. I'm going to skip bicep curls tonight in lieu of this.

GoodThings
09-18-2007, 11:52 PM
Good week, trying to push my cardio a little harder.

I'm also getting worried my shoulders aren't getting enough workout. I'm going to add a decent shoulder routine to my leg day, shoulder press (removed from chest day), lateral side raises, shrugs.

I'm a day behind, did chest today.

Chest 265 x 4 today.

I'm going to try to use this a benchmark weight and get to 6 reps ASAP.

Coke
09-23-2007, 10:03 AM
Flat benching 265lbs with reps at your weight is very impressive bro, keep it up.