PDA

View Full Version : My obliques...

Warpedkevin
08-25-2007, 03:44 PM
Hey guys, I pretty new here, I wasn't sure where to post this, So I chose here, plz feel free to move it if im in the wrong category :)

Anyway, Ive been going to the gym for 2-3 weeks now, Ive been eating well for just over a year after I was starting to get conerned with my weight :(

I got weighed the other day, Im 11 stone, Not sure what that is in pounds? and im apparently 10-11% BF. Good old technology. Anyway, I as wondering, How do I decrease the size of my obliques, They stick out a tad on me....

I do cardio regular now, I cycle to work and back 5-6 days a week which is 10 miles each time. Not only this but I go to the gym 4-5 times a week, well, thats my aim as from the other week. They seem to have gotten smaller, but im wondering what to do to aid the size decrease, that and any general observations from you guys on me would be nice.

Here are some pics I just took to show my obliques, as attatchments. :(

McVein
08-25-2007, 03:50 PM
theyre not obliques man, theyre "love handles" are you pretty short? because you look heavier than 11 stone.
What sprt of routine are you following? and you goota be patient too, 2-3 weeks isnt long enough to expect big changes.

sharkall2003
08-25-2007, 03:51 PM
Yeah, it's not necessarily how much cardio you do, but what kind of food you eat that will determine those love handles. There is nothing wrong with cycling to work everyday like that. In fact, that's great. But you might need to find a diet that works. Usually, when someone is trying to lose that midsection fat they have to lose fat everywhere. If you do some background reading you'll understand you can't spot reduce your fat. So, I suggest eating less carbs than you are right now, taking in some healthy fats and keeping a high protein diet. If you're cycling that much I'd say you'll need at least 150-200 carbs per day. And you'll need one gram of protein per one pound of LBM.

Realistically speaking, your bodyfat percentage is not 10-11%. It's probably closer to 15%. But, keep up the work you're doing.

Warpedkevin
08-25-2007, 04:02 PM
Oh, I went on the electronic scales they had at my Fitness First gym, you have to enter a lot of perameters, I thought it would be correct! B*****D SCALES!!!

Lol, im about 5'10-11" I do watch my diet and eat plenty of protein, at least compared to what I used to.

Warpedkevin
08-25-2007, 04:10 PM
Oh as for my routine, if your talking about the gym, I spend about 30 mins doing cardio work and then go onto resistance training, I talked to some guys that had been going regularly tho, they said I should be doing Small reps but heavy weights to bulk up, as thats my goal.

I was doing something like 4 sets of 15 reps (lighter weight) on several machines e.g. bench press and doing things like pectoral fly., I figured id need to tone myself up a bit more before trying to bulk? Would I be correct in thinknig that?

markdk86
08-25-2007, 04:16 PM
Saying "tone" on this site will get your town pillaged.

Warpedkevin
08-25-2007, 04:17 PM
I dont know, im new to this :eek:

sharkall2003
08-25-2007, 04:28 PM
You want to lift heavy for less reps. Maybe six reps would be good. Some people even go as low as three reps.

McVein
08-25-2007, 04:30 PM
COmpound lifts man, If you have a bar and a bench you are set, do your cardio
AFTER your weights, if you must do any at all, do you have a routine? or just go in and hit the machines

Warpedkevin
08-25-2007, 04:33 PM
Thanks guys for the help, I really am a newbie, for the moment im just going in and using the machines, I havent set out routine.

Im having a training session with one of the fitness members of the gym, so he can go through what I want to do and what I should be doing on monday apparently. I just thought id start here as you guys have the knowledge.

:nod:

McVein
08-25-2007, 04:35 PM
From my experience, the trainers at gyms dont know anything about getting bigger, they could teach a hell of a step aerobics class though. You could b lucky and get a PT who actually knows his stuff, but its definitley a rarity.

DO you have a Free weight barbell in your gym? a squat rack? Help us help you man.

Warpedkevin
08-25-2007, 04:51 PM
I can only assume so, all of the free -weight stuff is towards the abck of the gym, Seems like only the hardcore guys are there tho. There is most likely, why what were you thinking?

Bako Lifter
08-25-2007, 06:49 PM
Use the free weights intstead of the machines. How do you think those guys got so hardcore? Not by using machines, that's for sure.

Herandi
08-26-2007, 06:02 AM
Use the free weights intstead of the machines. How do you think those guys got so hardcore? Not by using machines, that's for sure.

:withstupi

:evillaugh

Sinep
08-27-2007, 07:07 PM
When you see your obliques that's because there is nothing left to lose from there. I'm gonna have to say that one to my friends when they say I need to lose the stomach. "You're just jealous, they're my obliques, not fat!"

phatmonky
09-01-2007, 11:19 AM
Thanks guys for the help, I really am a newbie, for the moment im just going in and using the machines, I havent set out routine.

Im having a training session with one of the fitness members of the gym, so he can go through what I want to do and what I should be doing on monday apparently. I just thought id start here as you guys have the knowledge.

:nod:

Most people are idiots, therefore most people in your gym are idiots.

Go grab one of the WBB routines on the front page, go read everything ever posted by member BUILT (there's lots of others on this site who know what they are doing too, but she lives on here so much that she's an easy go to), and quit worrying about an ounce of fat on your sides.

The truth is, and I'm not trying to be mean here, is that you are FFAARRRRRRRRRR too small to be worrying about body fat levels at all.

Get some muscle on your first, and to do that you must EAT EAT EAT, and lift heavy.

www.exrx.net for pics of proper form for the exercises in the WBB routines.

EDIT - and repeat after me "I will not do curls until I learn to deadlift and squat properly!"

SpecialK
09-01-2007, 01:17 PM
I may be way off the mark here, but could part of what people are describing as "love handles" actually just be the OP's pelvis sticking out? I've seen some lean people who had visible abs, yet their sides were sticking out like that just because of they way their pelvis/hips were shaped.

Just a thought.

hintsas5
09-02-2007, 01:04 PM
Idk man those pictures look like love handles to me.,..