PDA

View Full Version : Bulking and Cutting

JasonG
08-26-2007, 02:21 AM
Hi Im just getting started into serious lifting and have a few diet questions. I am familiar with bulking (been doing it all my life) but the term "cutting" I'm a little lost on my best guess is its the act of trimming down to a desired weight after bulking. Sorta fueling muscle gain? Assuming I am in the ballpark my real question is this.

I understand alot of people when they start lifting they are trying to get bigger. I am just the opposite I am overweight and I want to lean down and build muscle. So how do I go about determining what I need to be taking in to maintain energy and fuel my workouts without gaining fat? Is the idea that your body burns the fat off to create the muscle so Ill be wanting to just eat enough for bodily maintenance?

Thanks
Jason

Al3X
08-26-2007, 02:35 AM
Best advice - Articles, Stickies, and Search tool.

General idea whether it be over weight or trying to gain weight:

Lifting shouldn't change for whatever your goal is. Bust your ass in the gym, and have your diet in order you'll make gains either gaining or losing. What separates bulking and cutting is the calorie consumption.

This is the simplest concept...

Herandi
08-26-2007, 08:44 AM
How long have you been lifting for before you got 'serious'? Assuming you're not very new to lifting, losing fat and gaining muscle simultaneously will be very difficult.

Bulking = eating at a caloric surplus, trying to gain weight (primarily muscle)
Cutting = eating at a caloric deficit, trying to lose fat whilst maintaining muscle

i suggest choosing one :)