PDA

View Full Version : Does cardio burn more carbs than protein?

JConrad
08-26-2007, 09:00 AM
I'm not talking about stored carbs or stored protein, but the carbs and protein that you take in daily.
I'm on a clean bulk at the moment and I'm trying to minimize flab gains so I can bulk for longer.
I'm thinking of doing 20 mins of cardio a morning on an empty stomach to minimize fat gains.
Obviously carbs and fats are vital too for muscle gains but I do tend to overdo the carbs a little, which is why I think cardio will help, but only if cardio burns off the extra carbs I eat every day and doesn't burn off the protein calories.
Thanks.

Paul Stagg
08-26-2007, 09:39 AM
Your body doesn't burn protein for energy.

MMEI
08-26-2007, 10:02 AM

Yes, it does. Thats why you lose muscle when you don't eat. Protein is converted to glucose with 58% efficiency, whereas carbs have 100%.

So yes, it does burn protein for energy. And if you do cardio on an empty stomach I'm pretty sure it will go into fat reserves for energy (depending on the intensity).

Paul Stagg
08-26-2007, 12:53 PM
Your body burns glucose, not protein. It converts protein into glucose in the liver.

The OPs question isn't really answerable, as there is no difference to the body between the energy converted from protein and the energy in carbohydrates.

Holto
08-27-2007, 08:28 AM

I might me mistaken but I believe amino acids can be used to create ATP also, not to mention keytones.

Trevor M.
08-27-2007, 12:01 PM
After deamination, Amino acids can be used for ATP production through the CAcycle without conversion to either lipids or carbohydrates.

Paul Stagg
08-27-2007, 12:17 PM
Look at that. You learn something new every day.

Or something.

smalls
08-28-2007, 12:59 AM
Either way the percentage of protein being utilized during most any activity is EXTREMELY low, provided your calories arent rediculously low for long long time periods and glycogen completely depleted, even then percentages are low.

Cardio during a bulk isnt going to help minimize fat gain as cardio is the most overated activity when it comes to fat burning, loss etc. Cardio is great on a bulk to maintain heart health and cardiovascular conditioning. But diet is going to be the key to fat/ muscle gain etc. And I personally think cardio on an empty stomach during a bulk is a horid idea.