PDA

View Full Version : atlas stone

Lones Green
08-26-2007, 01:03 PM
so i finally got an atlas stone for my birthday. it's about 265 lbs. here is a pic, if anyone has any sites, videos, or personal tips on lifting stones, please let me know. i don't want to hurt myself picking this thing up.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/xshewastragedyx/atlasstone001.jpg

redFury
08-26-2007, 01:28 PM
Omigosh... that is a heavy heavy stone. I barely can get a 180 lber up. Still those things are so fun!!

Lones Green
08-26-2007, 01:51 PM
Omigosh... that is a heavy heavy stone. I barely can get a 180 lber up. Still those things are so fun!!

you are right, they are fun. i barely got it up in the back of my truck. i could probably pick it up like 2 or 3 times, max. i'm going to work on some heavy rows, DL's, and squats, as always, to make picking this thing up easier.

Sensei
08-26-2007, 06:34 PM
I actually made an Atlas stone for my sister-in-law as a birthday gift one year... She wasn't unhappy with it and put it in her garden (well, actually I put it in her garden), but I think her reaction was something like "Oooooh, that's great.... Thank you."

Did someone make that for you, or did they pay to have it made?

Lones Green
08-26-2007, 06:55 PM
I actually made an Atlas stone for my sister-in-law as a birthday gift one year... She wasn't unhappy with it and put it in her garden (well, actually I put it in her garden), but I think her reaction was something like "Oooooh, that's great.... Thank you."

Did someone make that for you, or did they pay to have it made?

haha, thats awesome. someone made it for me, sorry i was unclear. i posted the whole story in my journal. we've been talking about making it forever, but just never got around to it, so he suprised me with it. one of the coolest gifts ever.

Sensei
08-26-2007, 07:49 PM
Awesome gift. Very well-made stone - some of the stones I've made were crumbly pieces of crap that looked like half-eaten chocolate truffles...

Talking_God
08-26-2007, 08:22 PM
How do you go about making one??

That's awesome though...no way in HELL I could pick that beast up haha

Lones Green
08-26-2007, 09:28 PM
Awesome gift. Very well-made stone - some of the stones I've made were crumbly pieces of crap that looked like half-eaten chocolate truffles...

HAHA yeah. the plaster of paris dries very quickly, and once its done drying, its done drying. my friend said the trick is to use concrete with rocks in it - it helps stay together better. and use lots of water, so it takes longer to dry, so it stays really hard. he sanded the rocks off the surface and put a light glaze on it, so it dosen't scrape your arms, but it dosen't slide out of your arms either. its one of the coolest gifts i've ever gotten. here's how you make it:

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~keen0018/makeastone.htm