PDA

View Full Version : Tofer's Journal

Tofer
08-27-2007, 10:06 PM
So, I'm pretty badly out of shape in terms of overall fitness. I look pretty good, but my cardiovascular fitness is non-existent. All show and no go.

I'm going to be playing indoor soccer this winter so now is the best time to start getting into real shape. I'll probably be playing a lot of beach volleyball next summer too, which can be pretty grueling, so overall fitness is pretty important to me.

The way I'm going about this is by taking a new approach to training. I've been reading up on Crossfit for quite a long time now, so I'm going to incorporate Crossfit type of workouts into my routine. I know, I know, that's a total bastardization of what Crossfit is and what it stands for, but for now that's how it's going to go. By next summer I'll be a full-time Crossfitter.

I'm going to be competing with my older brother (who is training to be a FIFA referee) in two Crossfit-type workouts each week. It'll either be a WOD that caught my eye, or something made up. As soon as he finishes reffing for the summer, we'll probably start doing three a week. It's pretty simple: whoever finishes the workout in the fastest time (or finishes the most rounds in the allotted time) wins a point. And yes, I completely stole this whole idea from reading Anthony's journal haha, so thanks a lot Anthony. Even though I don't post in it that often, your journal is and will probably continue to be my fave to read on the site.

The problem with my current setup, is that my ceilings in the basement are really low (and even lower in my garage) so OH Pressing, jerking, etc. isn't possible which is really disappointing, but it's all I have to work with. I have a power rack with dip and pullup attachments, an adjustable bench, an olympic bar and weights to work with.

For the most part, during my 16 months of training I've used full body training. The Crossfit workouts will be full body, but I'm going to throw in one or two vanity workouts each week too (so shoot me), which will probably become less frequent as time goes by. I will be posting those too.

Here are a few stats:

Tofer

Height: 6'5"
Weight: 228 lbs

Bench: 1x245
Squat: 1x275
Deadlift: 1x365 or 5x325

James

Height: 5'10"
Weight: 170 lbs (?)

Lifts unknown

James hasn't done too much weight training so I'm still teaching him a lot of the lifts as he goes along, but he's done pretty well so far. His cardiovascular endurance blows mine away, so there's a good chance he's going to be ahead of me on these workouts for a while. That'll probably just push me even harder to improve, which I look forward to.

Anyways, I'll be using this journal to post all of these challenges and workouts, as well as any other random stuff that comes to mind, so expect frequent updates.

Tofer
08-27-2007, 10:08 PM
Competition #1

Tofer

Squat:
5x135
1x155
1x175
1x195
1x215
5x235

5 rounds of:
0.20 mile run
10 pullups
5 power cleans w/ 135 lbs
10 hanging knee raises
10 pushups

Total time: 36:02

Comments: Yikes, terrible time. Just so you know, I didn't include the Squats for the total time. I haven't back squatted in about five or six months, since I've been focusing on olympic front squats, but hopefully I should be able to get the numbers up there soon. I probably shouldn't have squatted right before my real workout since it made running even harder, but I'll know for next time. I'd have to say that the running, despite being short distances, absolutely killed my time. Everything else was fine, but I felt far too winded and had to take too many breaks. This should improve quite quickly.

James

5 rounds of:
0.20 mile run
10 pullups
5 deadlifts w/ 135 lbs
10 hanging knee raises
10 pushups

Total time: 23:42

Practice with front squats, OH squats, dips and handstand pushups

Comments: James DESTROYED me today. My ego is officially bruised. We had him doing deadlifts instead of power cleans since he isn't comfortable with the movement yet, so that had something to do with it, but overall it doesn't matter because he still put me to shame. His pullups are really coming along compared to a month ago when I started training him, so I was happy to see that. I've been getting him to do these Crossfit type of workouts for a couple weeks ago and he's really starting to respond to them. He said he feels like he's getting in better shape already, so I'm happy to see that.

Result: James wins.

Tofer: 0
James: 1

Tofer
08-29-2007, 11:28 PM
Wednesday, August 29

One mile run
Total time: 7:18

Comments: Not exactly great, but much, much better than my one mile run time last week (exactly one minute slower at 8:18). Within three months I would like to get this time at least into the upper 5's. I'll be completing it once a week, as well as a longer, slower run or HIIT probably on Fridays. We'll be doing a lot of running in these competitions anyways so I should have plenty of chances to practice and improve.

I finished my round of the second competition on Tuesday, but James won't be doing it until at least Saturday because he tweaked his achilles tendon. He'll do competition # 3 tomorrow and I'll complete it on Saturday and hopefully post them both. I'll also be doing a vanity workout tomorrow so I'll get that posted too.

nhlfan
08-29-2007, 11:51 PM
do you live in edmonton? only reason I ask is I was in edmonton last weekend and saw someone with a crossfit.com t-shirt on.

Tofer
08-30-2007, 03:13 PM
Thursday, August 30

DB Flat Bench:
10x45's
10x60's
10x70's
10x80's
8x85's
6x90's

Incline DB Bench:
10x60's
8x65's
6x70's

DB Bicep Curl:
10x40's
6x45's
10x40's

Machine Flies:
10x160
10x172.5
8x172.5

Decline Situps (weight held behind head):
15xBW+10
12xBW+10

Comments: Yeah, I know. A lame "beach day" if that's what you wanna call it. I haven't done a body parts day in a very long time, but I just feel like it's necessary at this point. The last time I lost weight, I focused on weighted dips with very little pressing for chest, and I lost a lot of the size I had gained there while bulking. I'd like to try to avoid that this time around, so there ya go, I'm giving it a try. I threw the bicep curls in there to complete the whole fratboy thing I was going for ;). I'll probably alternate between higher reps and low reps, depending on how I'm feeling.

I deadlifted before I completed Competition #2 the other day, but I'll wait to post that until I have James' score. He completed #3 today. Hopefully I'll be able to beat his score on Saturday.

Nhlfan: Unfortunately I don't live in Edmonton. I'm stuck here in Winnipeg until I finished my Civil degree. Crossfit is getting pretty huge so it's not much of a surprise that you happened to see a guy with a shirt there. It's everywhere. I wouldn't wear a Crossfit t-shirt unless I: a) did Crossfit full-time and b) felt like I had earned it.

nhlfan
08-30-2007, 06:40 PM
yeah I knew it wasn't you, this guy was like 6 feet tall and iirc you're much bigger than that.

pretty good numbers on the DB pressing!

Tofer
09-02-2007, 02:47 PM
Competition #2

Tofer

As many rounds possible in 30 mins of:
0.15 mile run
5 burpees/pullups (alternating back and forth)
5 dips
10 situps

Total rounds: 10 + 0.11 miles

---------

Deadlift:
5x135
1x225
1x255
1x285
1x315
5x325
5x325
5x325
5x325

Chinups:
10xBW

Comments: I gave it my all on this. It felt much better than Competition #1 so that was good. I wanted to keep to a 3 minute pace and was fortunately able to. I haven't done burpees in forever, so that was kind of a bitch, but not too bad overall. I'm really enjoying these workouts as well as the competition aspect of it. My deadlifts didn't feel too great because of a twinge in my upper ankle, but I got through them anyways.

James

As many rounds possible in 30 mins of:
0.15 mile run
5 burpees/pullups (alternating back and forth)
5 dips
10 situps

Total rounds: 11

Comments: That bastard! Just barely beat me this time. His cardiovascular endurance is killing me. I'm definitely losing all my time running. His chinups are getting better so if everything else keeps improving and my cardio keeps lacking, he's really going to pull ahead.

Result: James wins. Barely.

Tofer: 0
James: 2

Tofer
09-02-2007, 02:59 PM
Competition #3

Tofer

With a continuously running clock, complete one rep of the exercise the first minute, two the second minute, etc. until you can no longer complete the required amount of reps:

Pushups: 17 (18 mins)
Situps: 21 (22 mins)
Chinups: 7 (8 minutes)

Total: 45 (48 mins)

Comments: I have a pretty bad virus and probably shouldn't even be working out, so this wasn't my best effort, but okay overall. My joints are sore and I've got a headache still. I think I could usually do much, much better on the chinups. We'll see how it goes next time we complete this workout.

James

With a continuously running clock, complete one rep of the exercise the first minute, two the second minute, etc. until you can no longer complete the required amount of reps:

Pushups: 16 (17 mins)
Situps: 21 (22 mins)
Chinups: 7 (8 minutes)

Total: 44 (47 mins)

Comments: Solid effort. He really pushed it. At the end, the pushups and situps literally looked painful. I would have to say he put up a much better effort than me, but I blame it on me being sick as a dog. He was pretty pissed off that he lost by one, since he had pushed me to finish that 21 rep set of situps when I had basically given up, which ended up costing him.

Result: Tofer wins by 1.

Tofer: 1

Other comments:

As I mentioned, I've been pretty sick for the past few days, and will probably continue to feel it for a few days. I'm supposed to do a quick workout tonight so I'll see how I feel after supper. Hopefully I should be better by Tuesday because I've got a pretty nasty workout in mind for Competition #4 and I'd really like to be at full strength for it.

School starts on Thursday. I just finished summer classes a month ago so it feels too soon, but oh well. It'll be my second year in Civil Engineering (fourth overall, since I transferred from the Faculty of Management to Science and then to Engineering, and not too many credits have transferred over). On Friday, I recieved a notice in the mail telling me that I had been awarded a pretty significant scholarship for placing in the top ten of my faculty, which I'm absolutely ecstatic about. The scholarship will pay for over half of my tuition this year which means I won't have to work as much throughout the year and I can just focus on school and working out. :)

Tofer
09-02-2007, 08:44 PM
Sunday, September 2

Mili Press:
5x45
10x95
10x115
6x135

BB Row:
10x135
10x155
10x175

Dips:
10xBW+50
8xBW+60
6xBW+70

BB Lunges:
8x8x115
8x8x115

Comments: So, I decided I might as well get a quick session in, even if I wasn't feeling the greatest, since I wasn't feeling well enough to work out yesterday. I figured I'd stick to full body and get a bit of everything in there. Numbers were pretty weak for the most part, but that was kind of expected with the way I feel at the moment. I'm still trying to get used to using the dip attachment on my power rack. I used to do dips with palms facing each other, but with this attachment they're facing toward me. It's not too bad though.

Tofer
09-04-2007, 10:04 PM
Competition #4

Tofer

Complete the following for time:
21 Deadlifts w/ 225 lbs
21 BW Dips
0.42 mile run
15 Deadlifts w/ 225 lbs
15 BW Dips
0.30 mile run
9 Deadlifts w/ 225 lbs
9 BW Dips
0.18 mile run

Total Time: 18:01

----------

Front Squat (Clean Grip):
5x135
5x145
5x155
3x165
3x175
3x185
1x195
1x205
1x215
1x225
Fx235

Comments: Tough one today but I'm pretty happy with my time. My running once again let me down, but everything else was pretty solid. Came close to puking a couple times but held it down. Completing the front squats was pretty rough with my legs feeling like jelly, but I felt like it had been too long since I'd last done them so I did them anyways. I had the 235 for sure, but when I hit the hole, one side hit the pin which threw me off and I had to dump it. I was pretty pissed off because I felt like I had more in me, but I was too lazy to take off the weights and lift it back up onto the pins. Oh well, maybe next time. I noticed that my front squat has almost caught up to my back squat which is kinda funny. I guess it shows what I tend to focus on.

James

21 Deadlifts w/ 135 lbs
21 BW Dips
0.42 mile run
15 Deadlifts w/ 135 lbs
15 BW Dips
0.30 mile run
9 Deadlifts w/ 135 lbs
9 BW Dips
0.18 mile run

Total Time: 22:55

Comments: James did awesome, considering he was struggling to do two BW dips only a month ago. He used 135 lbs on the deadlift to keep things fair. His form looked good the whole time which I was happy to see. It can be tough to keep good form when you're absolutely drained of energy. Today he had the disadvantage of going first which makes it harder to get a feel for whether you're at a good pace or not. We'll probably switch that up each time to keep things fair. He told me that he's got two pretty big reffing games tomorrow so hopefully he won't feel too many ill effects of the workout in the morning.

Result: Tofer wins.

Tofer: 2

nhlfan
09-04-2007, 10:51 PM
you're well on the way to great fitness. with those deadlifts, do you just pause between reps and rep out another when you're able?

Tofer
09-04-2007, 11:23 PM
Thanks man. Yeah, basically I just do as much as I can without killing myself, and then rest a bit and go back at it. For the first set today, I did 14 and then 7; the second set was 10 then 5 and the last set was just 9 unbroken. I've done 21 straight reps of 225 in the past, but I needed to leave enough in the tank today to complete both the dips and the run. It's all about keeping up a good pace while still pushing yourself as hard as possible.

If you ever wanna switch things up for a day (even just for some GPP) you should give it a shot. It's exhausting, but fun as hell.

Herandi
09-05-2007, 12:40 PM
Real strong deads a few sessions back, must've been brutal

Tofer
09-08-2007, 07:05 PM
Thanks Herandi. They weren't too bad. I really need to push myself one day soon to see what I've got in me.

Thursday, September 6

DB Flat Bench:
10x50's
10x60's
10x70's
10x80's
6x90's
4x90's

Incline DB Press:
10x60's
6x65's
5x65's

Bicep Curls:
8x45's
6x45's
6x40's

Machine Flies:
10x160
10x172.5
7x172.5

Decline Situps:
15xBW+10
12xBW+10
9xBW+10

Comments: Bad day. School just started so the gym was packed and incredibly hot. I was pouring with sweat before I had even lifted a weight. The incline bench I normally use was taken so I had the one used for incline BB press. I kept hitting the pegs on the way up which was really frustrating so I just said screw it and moved on. These workouts are really monotonous, boring and hardly worth writing about so I'll just leave it at that.

Tofer
09-08-2007, 07:16 PM
Saturday, September 8

For time:
20 power cleans w/ 135 lbs
20 chinups
20 knees to elbows

Total time: 7:31

Military Press:
8x95
8x115
6x135
5x145
3x155
2x165
8x135
10x115

Chinups:
1XBW+10
1xBW+20
1xBW+25
5xBW+35
3xBW+45
1xBW+55
0.5XBW+65 (Failed)
10xBW

OH Squats:
10x45
10x65
6x85

Comments: I kinda just made it up as I went along today. I'm competing against my brother tomorrow so I didn't wanna push myself too hard. The power clean/chinups/knees to elbows for time thing is something I'll try again soon because my time was brutal. The power cleans and chinups were easy enough, but after about 10 knees to elbows I was completely stuck. I could not get my knees up far enough to save my life, which killed my time. I had never done weighted chins before so I gave that a shot today. I feel like I've definitely got more in me than the BW+55 but my lats were a little tired by that point. I would like to go a little heavier on the OH squats but unfortunately my roof is too low and I can't fit on anything but 10's and 5's. I lost my balance after going a bit too low with the sixth rep on the 85 and had to dump the bar. I really feel like these OH squats are more about balance than strength.

Maki Riddington
09-08-2007, 07:52 PM
Tofer,

If you're doing Cross Fit, why not visit: http://www.crossfitmanitoba.com/
or here: http://www.rivercitycrossfit.com/

Tofer
09-08-2007, 08:46 PM
Thanks a lot, Maki. I had no idea there was a Crossfit Manitoba. Looks like it's just getting started too. That's awesome. It'll be impossible for to check it out during the school year, since I live nowhere near Dowtown or Assiniboine Park, but as soon as the school year ends and I can Crossfit full-time, I'll be there for sure. I appreciate it, man.

KingWilder
09-08-2007, 09:54 PM
lookin' good Tofer

nhlfan
09-09-2007, 03:40 AM
Thanks man. Yeah, basically I just do as much as I can without killing myself, and then rest a bit and go back at it. For the first set today, I did 14 and then 7; the second set was 10 then 5 and the last set was just 9 unbroken. I've done 21 straight reps of 225 in the past, but I needed to leave enough in the tank today to complete both the dips and the run. It's all about keeping up a good pace while still pushing yourself as hard as possible.

If you ever wanna switch things up for a day (even just for some GPP) you should give it a shot. It's exhausting, but fun as hell.

haha yeah, exhausting would definitely be the emphasized word there. I'm sure crossfit would kick my lazy ass, but I'll give it a try some day.

21 reps of 225 is impressive!

Tofer
09-09-2007, 02:18 PM
Yeah, it sure is kicking my lazy ass. That's for sure. Thanks man.

Competition #5

Tofer

For time (partition as necessary):
1 mile run
50 chinups
50 pushups
30 dips
15 squats w/135 lbs
1 mile run

Total time: 38:06

Comments: Good lord, that was brutal. I was making really great time. Going into the last mile I was just over 26 minutes, and then? My body completely shut down on me. I could barely walk, let alone run. I felt like I had boulders in my lats. I finished up the last mile at a snail's pace, trying to hold back the puke. It was quite horrible. I need to add in some more running days to get my cardiovascular fitness up to par because that was just not cool at all.

James

For time (partition as necessary):
1 mile run
50 chinups
50 pushups
30 dips
15 squats w/ 95 lbs
1 mile run

Total time: 36:17

Comments: James did this same workout one month ago to start off with, and his time was over 59 minutes. So that's a 23 minute improvement in just one month! Pretty incredible. He also completed 10 unbroken dips today, which would have been unheard of back then. You can see he's really benefiting from these workouts. I'd have to say his running is what gave him the upper hand today, as usual, because even though his time for the chinups, pushups, etc. was slower than mine, he was able to finish out with a strong run and kick my ass.

Result: James wins.

James: 3

nhlfan
09-09-2007, 06:03 PM
sounds like James is improving pretty rapidly. how much did your time change compared to the last time you did that workout?

Tofer
09-09-2007, 06:25 PM
This was the first time I've tried it. It's kinda funny because I made this workout up for him to do for his first Crossfit-type session, and it looked like so much fun that it convinced me to start doing these type of workouts too. Up until then I had planned to do more of a hypertrophy-based routine, while bulking. Now I've kinda gone in a completely different direction.

nhlfan
09-09-2007, 10:50 PM
ah I see

Tofer
09-11-2007, 11:01 PM
Tuesday, September 11

Deadlift:
5x135
1x225
1x255
1x285
1x315
5x335
5x335
5x335
5x335
-----------
Complete 5 rounds for time of:
15 Dips
10 Hanging Knee Raises
0.20 mile run

Total time: 14:30 (splits 2:48, 2:54, 2:51, 2:59, 2:55)

BB Lunges:
8,8x115
8,8x115
8,8x115

Comments: Deadlifts were pretty tough today. On the timed portion, I was happy that the splits were fairly consistent. That's generally a good thing.

I'm pretty stressed out by school already. I've got a couple brutal profs who probably started learning English over the summer, and I have no idea what is going on or what's expected of me. It's making school very unpleasant each day.

nhlfan
09-12-2007, 12:53 AM
those are some pretty impressive deadlifts! keep up the hard work.

Herandi
09-12-2007, 03:16 AM
nice work tofer. so you're bulking now? what weight do you want to reach before you cut? i'm interested in your journal because im thinking of trying something like this when i've reached my goal weight (long way off :p)

Tofer
09-13-2007, 11:14 PM
Thanks a lot, Matt. I appreciate you stopping in so often.

Herandi: I'm definitely not bulking right now. In fact, I think I'm down like 6-7 lbs in the last month. I told myself I would do whatever it takes to get into shape for soccer next month, so I guess that's involving losing weight. It wasn't really planned or anything like that, but that seems to be the way I'm heading. Ideally I'll get to a low body fat and then bulk incredibly slowly from then on out, probably never doing a traditional "cut" ever again if I can help it!

Thursday, September 13

BB Bench Press:
10x135
8x155
8x175
5x195
5x205
4x215
3x225

Incline BB Bench:
10x135
10x145
8x155

-----------
(Later in the day)

Chinups:
9xBW+10
5xBW+35
8xBW+15
3xBW+45
6xBW+20
9xBW

Power Cleans:
1x135
1x155
1x165
1x175
1x185 (PR)
1x195 (PR)
1x205 (PR)
1x215 (PR)
1x225 (PR!)

BB Row:
10x135
10x155
7x175

Comments: I'm pretty damn psyched about that 50 lb power clean PR, but it was a pretty good day in general. My collar bone was hurting so I couldn't really push myself like I wanted to on bench, which is probably for the best since I haven't actually benched now in about two months, but it went pretty well. My power clean form was pretty good all-around, but the 215 and 225 weren't quite as smooth as I would have liked. I videotaped the power cleans, so hopefully I can get that up at some point. I'm just happy because 225 was a long-term goal, and I'm there, despite being down to my lowest weight so far this year. I think I'm gonna bump my loooong-term goal up to 315.

I'm still feeling stressed, which seems to be helping fuel my workouts. My technical communications group was made today and I'm stuck with two international students who I couldn't understand at all. I can only imagine what our final oral presentation will be like a couple months from now. God my school is such a joke.

North
09-13-2007, 11:22 PM
Nice back work tofer

Herandi
09-14-2007, 05:42 PM
I'm still feeling stressed, which seems to be helping fuel my workouts

that's what i do tofer, let the anger fuel you!

seriously though nice workout, chins are looking good and power cleans looking v. strong. i wouldn't lose too much weight, just try and cut down a bit, but then again ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

KingWilder
09-14-2007, 06:52 PM
lookin' good man

Power Cleans look especially nice

Tofer
09-15-2007, 10:22 PM
North, Herandi and KingWilder: Thanks for stopping by, guys.

Competition #6

Tofer

For time:
0.5 mile run
15 pushups
20 chinups
15 deadlifts w/ 225 lbs
20 burpees
30 situps
10 HSPU's
0.5 mile run

Time: 18:00

For time:
0.25 mile run
10 pushups
10 burpees
10 dips
10 deadlifts w/ 205 lbs
30 situps
5 Knees to Elbows
5 HSPU's
0.25 mile run

Time: 8:22

Total time: 26:22

Back Squat:
5x135
5x160
5x185
5x210
5x225
15x135

Knees to Elbows:
10xBW
10xBW
10xBW

Comments: My brother woke me up this morning at 10 and told me he had to be out of here by 11:30, so he drew up this workout and we gave it a shot. The first part caught me tired and unprepared and made me feel like puking, but the second went much better. Back squats after, though? A bad idea. Especially after deadlifting already that day. I felt way too weak, but I had to get them in some time this week, and doing them tomorrow would throw off my deadlift schedule. I hate back squats. It feels so unnatural to me. I may just go back to front squats full time.

James

For time:
0.5 mile run
15 pushups
20 chinups
15 deadlifts w/ 135 lbs
20 burpees
30 situps
10 HSPU's
0.5 mile run

Time: 17:44

For time:
0.25 mile run
10 pushups
10 burpees
10 dips
10 deadlifts w/ 135 lbs
30 situps
5 Knees to Elbows
5 HSPU's
0.25 mile run

Time: 8:26

Total time: 26:10

Comments: Basically James had been up since 8:00 and seemed to have boundless energy. I feel like a broken record here but he killed me on the run. Not too much else to say. He's kicking my ass here.

Result: James wins by a lousy 12 seconds.

James: 4

Bikkstah
09-15-2007, 10:46 PM
Tofer,

When you have the 1/5 or 1/6 mile runs in the CF rounds, how are you measuring those? set distance in real life or punching it into a treadmill?

Also for this:
With a continuously running clock, complete one rep of the exercise the first minute, two the second minute, etc. until you can no longer complete the required amount of reps

So minute one is 1 push-up, 1 sit-up and 1 chin-up then you get to rest until minute two for 2 push-ups, 2 sit-ups, and 2 chin-ups, correct?

Tofer
09-15-2007, 11:56 PM
Bikkstah, I'm surprised to see you stop by after I was unjustifiably a total dick to you in that thread yesterday. Hopefully you harbor no ill feelings for my PMS-like argument with you. ;) I took my bad mood out on you for no reason. Sorry about that.

The workouts take place in my basement and the power rack has a treadmill right next to it, so that's what we've been using. I would much rather run outside because I am not a fan of treadmill running at all, but with the current setup (and the fact that this can be one of the coldest cities in the world) it'll have to do for now.

As for the second question, that's not actually how we did that workout, but that would definitely be a much, much better way to do it. I think I'll give that a shot some time soon, but probably only with two exercises (chinups/pushups or chinups/burpees probably). When we did it, it was straight situps, then pushups and then chinups. One of the Crossfit WOD's involves doing it just for chinups (actually there was one for muscleups not too long ago too) so that's where I got it from; I just threw a round of situps and pushups in there too to round out the day.

Bikkstah
09-16-2007, 07:27 AM
So are you actually running those at a set pace count or just sprinting?

I am curious as to how you did that exercise then, elaborate if you could. I do what I mentioned in the morning either after running or between sprints, such as sprinting baseline to baseline, doing 1 push-up, sit-up, and chin-up (or military press), sprinting back and doing two of each...etc, a pyramid drill essentially. I was wondering how your exercise worked because the way I have it playing out in my mind, it seems like you have too much rest time to let your heart rate normalize.

Sorry for all the questions, I don't really know crossfit and am trying to learn.

Tofer
09-16-2007, 10:40 AM
The running is not set to a certain pace. You jump on the treadmill, the intensity level is set to 1, and you increase it to want you want to run at, and continue to increase or decrease throughout the run, as you see fit. It tracks the distance you have run thus far.

It plays out just like you said: first minute, one pushup, second minute, two pushups, etc. This particular workout is more of a benchmark thing to see where you're muscular endurance is at, than an actual tough workout (I think I noted that I had a virus that day so we couldn't do anything too challenging). For the first 5-10 mins, depending on the exercise, it is pretty easy, but believe it or not it does start to get a lot more difficult as your muscles fatigue. As soon as your arms start giving out on you, the pushups become hell. Same thing with the situps; my abs were on fire for the next couple days. I think it was pointless for me to attempt chinups that day with the way I was feeling, but I'm sure they would become very difficult after about 9 minutes or so. And yeah, the fact that a lot of time passes before your heart-rate starts to get up there and things become challenging is definitely a problem, but like I said, it was intended to be a fairly easy workout.

Something like the day where we did:

21 Deadlifts w/ 225 lbs
21 BW Dips
0.42 mile run
15 Deadlifts w/ 225 lbs
15 BW Dips
0.30 mile run
9 Deadlifts w/ 225 lbs
9 BW Dips
0.18 mile run

I feel is a much better representation of what Crossfit is really like (combining strength, muscular endurance and cardiovascular endurance for work output). If you're interested, everything you could possibly want to know, including the WOD's can be found at http://www.crossfit.com . The FAQ section is very informative and the videos are great. Check out some of the videos of Greg Admunson if you want to see a real Crossfit beast.

Tofer
09-16-2007, 09:53 PM
Sunday, September 16

BB Bench:
10x135
10x155
10x170
10x185
8x195

Incline Bench:
5x135
5x155
5x170

Dips:
10xBW+50
8xBW+60
10xBW+25

Comments: Too much on my mind. Head wasn't into it tonight.

zela
09-16-2007, 10:40 PM
Good stuff there as always Tofer. I have started doing some cardio myself, just killers on the indoor basketball court for now, to get ready for the indoor soccer season as well. Really neat though that James is training to be a FIFA referee, I'm a big footy fan and any other fan feels like family to me right away, and could you tell us how far along he is with that? Really wish him the best of luck and you with the indoor.

nhlfan
09-17-2007, 12:57 AM
bench and dips are both looking pretty strong, tofer. what do you estimate your 1RM on barbell bench to be?

Tofer
09-17-2007, 05:19 PM
Good stuff there as always Tofer. I have started doing some cardio myself, just killers on the indoor basketball court for now, to get ready for the indoor soccer season as well. Really neat though that James is training to be a FIFA referee, I'm a big footy fan and any other fan feels like family to me right away, and could you tell us how far along he is with that? Really wish him the best of luck and you with the indoor.
Thanks a lot, Zela. Currently James is a Class 1 ref, so he'll probably be nominated for National by next summer, and hopefully from there to FIFA. He's already traveled away to ref semi-professional games, and he refs Premier Men's league here, as well as CIS (Canadian University) games. I know he's a really good ref, but I can't watch his games. No matter how well a ref calls a game, there will always be idiots in the crowd who bitch about them. I have a hard time with not fighting with these people, so I tend to stay away from his games. Are you a fan of any teams in particular? I've been a Liverpool/England fan since I was really young (I was born in England). Watching Liverpool play at Anfield is still the greatest experience of my life so far. :)

It wasn't a great day for me really, but thanks Matt. Right now it's hard for me to say what my one rep bench max would be. I'm thinking somewhere along the lines of 240-245 but I don't know for sure. The last time I lifted 245 I was 240 lbs and now I'm down to 216. All this high rep stuff is leaving me fatigued by the time I hit the heavier weights, so maybe I'll just have to find some day soon to test.

I was thinking about my plans today, and I came up with a few decisions. I feel too skinny at the moment, but I really want to stick with this "cut" and Crossfit stuff until I'm at 8-9% body fat because although I've always been skinny, I've never gotten down to single-digit body fat. From there I'll start a very slow bulk in which I'll mix hypertrophy-based lifting sessions with Crossfit, as I'm doing now, while always keeping my body fat below 12% and even lower if possible.

Here are my goals for May 1, 2008

Bench: 275
Front Squat: 265
Deadlift: 395

nhlfan
09-17-2007, 06:06 PM
I feel too skinny at the moment, but I really want to stick with this "cut" until I'm at 8-9% body fat because although I've always been skinny, I've never gotten down to single-digit body fat.

I feel the same way at the moment, except I want closer to 12%. It sucks continuing cutting while you feel small lol

I wanna eat!

North
09-17-2007, 06:51 PM
Nice high rep benching tofer

Herandi
09-18-2007, 08:13 AM
nice chest day Tofer, strong benching my man

Tofer
09-18-2007, 10:28 PM
Tuesday, September 18

Deadlift:
5x135
5x225
5x275
5x315
5x335
5x345
4x355 (PR)

Military Press:
10x95
10x115
7x135
7x135
6x135
6x135

Front Squat:
8x135
8x135
8x135

Comments: My weight keeps dropping, but it seems like my strength keeps going up. That's pretty nice to see. The first time I ever cut, my strength nose-dived (for ex. I lost about 30 lbs on my bench). Hopefully it won't be the same this time around. I told myself to keep it light on the deads this week, but once I got started I couldn't resist. Tomorrow's workout with my brother is definitely going to be rough. I always deadlift in my bare feet, and so I didn't bother putting on shoes for the front squats, and they just didn't feel right at all. Next time I'll make sure to throw on a pair of shoes before doing them.

Herandi
09-19-2007, 02:58 AM
wow man real nice PR on the deads, what is your 1RM? i know how you feel, if i could i'd do deads everyday man.

Tofer
09-19-2007, 08:37 PM
Thanks as always, Herandi. My tested one rep max is actually 365, so I've probably got more in me now. I'm thinking (hoping) 375 is within my grasp, but we'll see.

Competition #7

Tofer

Four rounds for time:
10 squats w/ 135 lbs
10 situps
10 dips
10 chinups
10 hanging knee raises
10 Asst HSPU's

Total time: 25:39

Comments: An hour later, I still feel like I'm drunk. I hate handstand pushups. I'm gonna push tomorrow's workout back because my body is aching too much.

James:

Four rounds for time:
10 squats w/ 115 lbs
10 situps
10 dips
10 chinups
10 hanging knee raises
10 Asst HSPU's

Total time: 28:56

Comments: When we wrote this workout up, it didn't seem that bad, but I think we both found out otherwise when we actually did it. I think James got that drunk/sick feeling going on too.

Result: Tofer wins, baby.

Tofer: 3
James: 4

Other comments: I bought dumbbell handles and 200 lbs in 10, 5 and 2.5 lb plates today since my membership at the gym ran out and it would have cost the same thing to renew. Now I have absolutely everything I need right at home, other than enough head space to OH press. :(

nhlfan
09-19-2007, 11:01 PM
Now I have absolutely everything I need right at home, other than enough head space to OH press. :(

I find that pressing from your knees is a pretty good workout, give it a try

Tofer
09-21-2007, 10:27 PM
Matt: I didn't even think about that. I'll have to give those a shot some time.

Friday, September 21

Bench:
5x135
5x155
5x175
5x195
5x215
5x225
3x235
1x245
1x255 (PR)
1x260 (PR)

Incline DB:
10x60's
10x60's
10x60's

DB Curls:
10x40's
9x40's
7x40's

Hammer Curls:
7x40's
5x40's

Knees to Elbows:
12xBW
8xBW
6xBW

Knee Raises (Center, Left, then Right):
12xBW
9xBW

Comments: Solid PR tonight. I don't know what the hell is going on here. I'm at my lowest weight in over a year and I feel like I'm actually getting stronger. I know people on here preach doing low rep work on cuts, and I tried that last time, but mixing in high reps and low reps really seems to be doing the job this time around. I think my body got too tired with going heavy with low reps all the time last time around (especially with the lack of food). It's responding much better to this. I think the Crossfit workouts are a huge part of that too.

Other comments: I'm having a great time lifting right now. I don't feel tied down by a routine. I can mix in bodybuilding/strength type workouts like this with Crossfit workouts whenever I want. Nothing is ever set in stone and I love that. I think a lot of people would benefit from doing something like this because it's really the best of both worlds. I could probably keep this up for years without getting bored.

KingWilder
09-21-2007, 10:41 PM
wow, nice PR man

everything looks solid as usual

Herandi
09-22-2007, 03:54 AM
glad to hear you're enjoying it tofer, real nice bench PR too well done

Tofer
09-22-2007, 10:48 PM
Herandi, Wilder: Thanks as always, guys.

Competition #8

"Tabata Something Else"

Complete 32 intervals of 20 seconds of work followed by ten seconds of rest (16 minutes in total) where the first 8 intervals are pull-ups, the second 8 are push-ups, the third 8 intervals are sit-ups, and finally, the last 8 intervals are squats. There is no rest between exercises.

Count Total Reps and Tabata Total (add up the lowest number of reps completed for each exercise)

Tofer

Chinups: 6, 6, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5
Situps: 14, 14, 13, 13, 13, 12, 12, 12
Pushups: 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10
Squats: 15, 15, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13

Tabata Total: 40
Total: 333

James

Chinups: 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 5, 5
Situps: 15, 14, 14, 13, 13, 13, 12, 12
Pushups: 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8
Squats: 15, 15, 15, 15, 15, 15, 15, 15

Tabata Total: 40
Total: 336

Comments: First of all, wow, that was disgustingly difficult. We had some other stuff planned for after, but this was enough in itself. The basic strategy for this to get a better Tabata total is to try to complete the same number of reps for each interval. For example, on my first set of pushups, I probably could have gone for 18 or so, but then I would have been too tired, which would have led to me getting fewer and fewer reps in the next seven sets and a lower lowest score (Tabata score). That probably doesn't make sense, but at least I tried. We changed the order of the exercises slightly, and allowed half the chinups to be done with a bit of a jump. I feel like I should have shot for 12 pushups instead, but other than that I gave it my all.

I've got a great mp3 clip to do this workout with so if anyone is interested let me know.

Result: We were going to determine the winner by the higher tabata score, but since we tied, we went to rep totals and I lost by 3 ****in reps. I'm so angry.

Tofer: 3
James: 5

RedSpikeyThing
09-23-2007, 08:40 AM
that's a crazy workout! You better bust James' ass soon

Tofer
09-24-2007, 04:51 PM
RedSpikey: Size-wise, I could definitely bust his ass ;) but since he's been running his whole life and I just started last month, I think he's going to have a huge edge on me for a while. I'll catch up eventually, though! Thanks for stopping by.

Sunday, September 23

Chinups:
12xBW
5xBW+25
5xBW+25
5xBW+25
5xBW+25

DB Shoulder Press:
10x35's
10x50's
7x60's
7x60's
6x60's

BB Rows:
10x135
10x155
10x175

DB Laterals:
10x25's
10x25's
10x25's

Comments: I hurt my forearm somehow, so I had to take it easy. It hurt, even while doing the DB Presses. I haven't used DB's for shoulder press for over a year now, so that felt a little awkward. BB Rows aggravated the forearm too much so I had to stop... so pretty crappy workout overall. Didn't even feel like posting it last night.

North
09-24-2007, 05:58 PM
Nice rows and pullups tofer, you got a strong back.

zela
09-25-2007, 12:04 AM
Thanks a lot, Zela. Currently James is a Class 1 ref, so he'll probably be nominated for National by next summer, and hopefully from there to FIFA. He's already traveled away to ref semi-professional games, and he refs Premier Men's league here, as well as CIS (Canadian University) games. I know he's a really good ref, but I can't watch his games. No matter how well a ref calls a game, there will always be idiots in the crowd who bitch about them. I have a hard time with not fighting with these people, so I tend to stay away from his games. Are you a fan of any teams in particular? I've been a Liverpool/England fan since I was really young (I was born in England). Watching Liverpool play at Anfield is still the greatest experience of my life so far. :)

Hey Tofer, Yeah I'm a big fan of the game as I myself was born and lived in Yugoslavia for 9 out of my 19 years of life. Growing up I have always liked Belgrade Red Star (Crvena Zvezda) from Serbia who actually won the Champions League in 1991. Outside of that I was always a big fan of Italian football and Juventus was my 2nd club for the longest time. Now in the last few years I have switched over to watching more EPL as thats all I get to watch here in the states and my favorite club has become Man U probably because of Serbian defender Nemanja Vidic. But I am not hardcore Manchester and I have been known to root for Liverpool and Arsenal on a few occasions.

And I can understand what you mean about watching James ref. its always the ref's fault when your team isnt doing the best so I can imagine why you would be bothered in the stands. You also say that James refs and the Canadian premier league, is that the Canadian Soccer League? I have followed some of that as we have 2 clubs from former Yugoslavia that are in the league, the Serbian White Eagles, and Toronto Croatia, I think they are among the top few clubs in that league. Let me know, and good luck with the forearm hope it heals fast.

Herandi
09-25-2007, 08:10 AM
chins are looking good tofer, bummer about the forearm

nhlfan
09-25-2007, 02:27 PM
Did you hurt your forearm before or during the workout?