PDA

View Full Version : Cleans, Snatches, Static holds and closegrips

Detard
08-27-2007, 11:07 PM
So today I decided to do some fun stuff and practice my form on a couple lifts. I've never really done any ME cleans before so I gave it a go. Next week i'll keep the weight low and really work on my speed and getting under the bar. I'd love some advice/tips on my form for any of the videos. I know my snatch is pretty ugly and my clean is pretty ugly too but hopefully I can improve on it. Thanks guys!

Power Clean 165
NzbAaDJb8qQ

Power Clean 185
5X0QwqRmGkI

Snatch
KocX0XvIV3Y

Static Hold (450 combined, kinda boring lol)
aSWK7ub9pqg

CG Bench 185
XNcLJyVdMfA

Tofer
08-27-2007, 11:33 PM
Good work man. Strong lifts.

Speed is definitely a problem on your power clean, as you pointed out. Another problem is how you're receiving the bar. Get under it and catch it with your shoulders. Don't just drop it on your shoulders with your hands when you get to the top of the lift, if that makes any sense. It looks like your wrists are taking quite a beating, which shouldn't be the case. Your fingers/wrists are there to stabilize the bar, not catch it. I would also try not to jerk the bar off the ground, and get lower into a squat position and hold it longer while the bar is ascending. Getting that bar up there should be almost all legs.

I'm pretty sure the snatch you're doing is a hang power snatch, but it didn't look that bad. My snatch is pretty awful so I don't have much criticism to offer.

IZich
08-28-2007, 12:11 AM
Good work.

In your first video, your front squats seem to have your lower back rounding at the bottom of the lift. Also, your hips aren't engaged until you begin your squat back up. Make sure you're sitting back and that your butt/hips lead the movement on the way down as well.

ernburn
08-28-2007, 04:31 PM
When doing cleans I learned a golden rule when going into my stance which significantly will help your pull so here it is "hips above knees, shoulders above hips, shoulders over bar" remember to keep the bar close to your body and when you power clean DONT spread your feet out like that instead catch it as if you were going into a squat clean so that would mean your feet will be slightly spread and heels pointing inwards and catch it with elbows up

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MHYjdi6ERXM

Form isn't perfect but its pretty damn good if i must say so myself

Detard
08-28-2007, 09:24 PM
Thanks guys. One of my buddies said I should put some tape a little wider than shoulder width to try to keep my feet between the tape (so i'm not spreading my feet out when I catch it). I'll take some more vids next week with lighter weight to compare.

markdk86
08-29-2007, 08:49 AM
If you want good examples of form go to crossfit.com, plenty of videos. It was a good first try but the snatch needs a lot of work.

ernburn
08-29-2007, 05:04 PM
while doing snatches its ok to get quite a bit wider than you would in you clean but only when your catching it on the bottom

Lones Green
08-30-2007, 03:28 AM
you are a strong guy, esp. at your bodyweight. nice vids man, the fact that you can clean 185 is awesome.