PDA

View Full Version : What? White bread absorbs faster than pure dextrose?

mickyjune26
08-28-2007, 10:52 PM
A trainer at the gym told me today that white bread is a better post-workout carb than dextrose, because it is absorbed faster. He said some other things, but I kind of spaced out because I was confused by his first statement.

I drink about 50 g dextrose halfway through the workout.
When i'm down to the last lift, I take 100 more grams, along with 90 g of protein powder. I drink that last shake over a period of 60 minutes.
finally, 60 minutes after the shake, I have a big meal of complex carbs and protein.

Are there parts of this formula where white bread is more appropriate?

I'm going to go back and learn more why he likes white bread so much. I don't want to argue, because he's a nice guy and friends with all the other lifters and trainers, especially the hot chicks.

I should ask them for advice. Then I'll have an excuse to talk to them. ...yeah........:hello:

MMEI
08-28-2007, 11:22 PM
Dextrose has a glycemic index of 100, which means among other foods its absorbed the fasted. Dex is sugar, Bread is carbs+some sugar. Plus, white bread has some fat in it which my blunt absorption even more. So I think your dex and protein is more optimal, and probably tastier than a nitrean sandwich!

Outshine
08-29-2007, 09:41 AM
I don't think white bread is better/faster than dextrose, but it may very well be one of the better/faster solid food choices.

And, off subject, but 90 grams of protein powder post workout is a bit much (half that is probably still too much). The 150 total grams of dextrose is on the high side as well.

Holto
08-29-2007, 10:03 AM
OMG that is too funny.

I love PT's. I don't think I know of any other industry where people give out such bad advice.

You would have to know nothing about human digestion to think this is possible.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-29-2007, 12:48 PM
That is utterly ridiculous. Keep taking your dextrose.

mickyjune26
08-29-2007, 07:23 PM
I don't think white bread is better/faster than dextrose, but it may very well be one of the better/faster solid food choices.

And, off subject, but 90 grams of protein powder post workout is a bit much (half that is probably still too much). The 150 total grams of dextrose is on the high side as well.

Outshine, thanks for bringing that up. You made me read the WBB article that got me thinking that way. Though my grams are pretty right on with the article, my window of consumption was a little too small, at around a 45 minute timeframe. I'm going to space my carbs and proteins over a 2-3 hour period, starting after I'm done with the big compound lifts.

Here's the article and the part about how much and when.

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=185

"If you add up the basic suggestions from the Energy Phase and the Anabolic Phase, youíll find that Iíve recommended about 1.6g of carbohydrate/kg and 0.8g of protein/kg in total. For a 220lb guy, thatís a total of 160g carbohydrate and 80g of protein during and immediately after training. Based on your preconceived notions of what constitutes "a lot" of carbs, this may seem like a lot or not much at all."

(...keep in mind that those carbs and proteins are consumed over a 2-3 hour period)

thor310
08-30-2007, 12:32 PM
be careful with the glycemic index (what your trainer's probably referring to). It's intentions are good, but it can be misleading b/c there are a few different indexes that use different foods as the baseline (glucose vs. white bread, etc). White bread changes a lot depending on which index you're looking at.

Infact the indexes can be so confused that if you search dextrose (aka glucose) on an index baselined at glucose, the number listed may not be 100! WTF!?

http://www.glycemicindex.com/

Trevor M.
08-30-2007, 03:12 PM
OMG that is too funny.

I love PT's. I don't think I know of any other industry where people give out such bad advice.

You would have to know nothing about human digestion to think this is possible.

I couldn't agree more^...