PDA

View Full Version : 2 mile runners workout???Need advice, resultless in search

nddillon
08-29-2007, 12:34 PM
A guy I train with is in ROTC and is looking to bulk up. He is 6'2'' 140, he has the smallest frame I have ever seen on anyone in my entire life. Believe it or not he has some muscle on him. He is looking to bulk up however he also is in a competition for the ROTC's officer program and wants to break the record for the 2 mile run which is like high 9's if I recall. I have no experience with runners and thought you guys would share the knowledge. Basically he is looking for advice on routine, and things to do or not do.

I simply suggested a Starting Strength style program and continue running 2.5 miles to improve his time; although, like I said, I have no experience with runners.

redFury
08-29-2007, 01:32 PM
Running mile repeats, Ladders, and 400m sprints workouts would really help. High 9s is gonna be really hard to break. If you can give me more description on his times right now and routine, maybe we can see if it's possible. I've got a fair bit of track experience as my brothers and I were state caliber sprint - middle distance runners.

nddillon
08-29-2007, 09:34 PM
Oh he can do it, he has before. Right now he is runnin 10:15-30 conseculatively (spelling) He has 11 months to train. I was more concerned about him bulking up as far as overall muscle; however any advice would be great.

redFury
08-29-2007, 10:30 PM
distance running really isnt going to be conducive to bulking... but his nutrition is obviously the key. Putting on weight in general is really going to affect his running as well. Can you be more specific on his goals and what he's doing now? What issues he's concerned about and/or finds important?

Bikkstah
08-30-2007, 12:13 AM
If he's like every other ROTC Cadet I know, he drinks 10 nights a week, so make sure he's cutting that **** out if he's doing that. If he's looking to bulk up and improve his run, the first step is to stop going to ROTC PT if he goes, if he's not contracted and not required to go. Military calisthenics and body building just don't mix.

nddillon
08-30-2007, 03:26 PM
He has to go, 6 am they run at least 1 mile and do a random stupid set of push ups, jumping jacks, and pull ups. But considering he weighs less than my foot, this is absolutley not hard work for him. As for the drinking, he parties but not too much. He is german so I think he can handle his liquor

What exercises improve 2 mile speed? Anybody?

Bikkstah
08-30-2007, 03:57 PM
Of course ROTC PT isn't hard, that doesn't mean it doesn't set you up for overtraining though.

What improves 2 mile speed? Running more than 2 miles, wind sprints, 30/60s.

nddillon
08-30-2007, 09:14 PM
Would I be wrong to assume a full body beginners routine is ok?

Bikkstah
08-30-2007, 10:33 PM
I think so, keep in mind that just running 2.5 miles while bulking will be counterproductive. His body is used to running that 2.5 miles at the pace at his current weight, not 20 or 30 lbs heavier. I keep my 2 mile time down by running 4-5 miles usually twice a week at the same pace per mile as I run my 2 mile in.

redFury
08-31-2007, 07:47 AM
If this is a truly serious thing for your friend, he shouldn't be trying to bulk until after he gets this record. High 9s for 2 mile you're talking about a good high school runner... I know he's there already, but he needs to be focusing on his training which will take a lot of time. I would still suggest some strength training, but save the bulk until after he does the race... just my .02