PDA

View Full Version : essential supplements

Averof
08-30-2007, 04:53 AM
hey i just recently started working out with a lot more frequency and rigor than i used to and im starting to think i don't have all the bases covered with nutrition..

i eat a lot of good food as it is, but i know for sure there are a few days a week when i just don't manage to eat as many vegetables or fruits as i should be eating.. and other days(usually 1 a week) when booze puts a strain on my system..

as it stands now, all i take are protein supplements.. and some opticen after a workout... i really have no knowledge about any other kind of supplements besides multivitamin pills, which i plan to go get soon... well i know of some other ones, but i don't know which are just useless gimmicks and which are actually really beneficial to health and training to take

what are the other main supplements hardcore lifters consider essential to have in their diet?

Unholy
08-30-2007, 04:54 AM
http://www.vet.ed.ac.uk/dhhps/images/Cow%20Photos/cow%20grazing.jpg

KingWilder
08-30-2007, 07:29 AM
Essential....maybe a multi-vitamin

no supplement is really essential though, food is all you really need

Jordanbcool
08-30-2007, 08:02 AM
This has been done to death.

A multi, creatine, fish oil.

Keep taking the protein powders (I liked them for convince) and Paul's suggestion of a cow isn't a bad idea.

EDIT: I chose those three supplements because they are the most basic, the cheapest and easiest to obtain and they all have numerous studies that show their equal effectiveness in losing fat, gaining/preserving muscle and increasing strength.

Al3X
08-30-2007, 10:13 AM
:withstupi

(search it can do wonders)

Con
08-30-2007, 10:56 AM
I know its a bit of topic, but Isnt creatine illegel to sell to minors now?

Averof
08-30-2007, 12:24 PM
ok thanks
i'll look into the fish oil thing..
i thought about creatine.... maybe later in the year

Built
08-30-2007, 12:45 PM

Noooo! Is it?

Are minors prohibited from buying steak, too?

DoUgL@S
08-30-2007, 01:01 PM
hey i just recently started working out with a lot more frequency and rigor than i used to and im starting to think i don't have all the bases covered with nutrition..

i eat a lot of good food as it is, but i know for sure there are a few days a week when i just don't manage to eat as many vegetables or fruits as i should be eating.. and other days(usually 1 a week) when booze puts a strain on my system..

as it stands now, all i take are protein supplements.. and some opticen after a workout... i really have no knowledge about any other kind of supplements besides multivitamin pills, which i plan to go get soon... well i know of some other ones, but i don't know which are just useless gimmicks and which are actually really beneficial to health and training to take

what are the other main supplements hardcore lifters consider essential to have in their diet?

Food is the best supplement.

This has been stated by some of the smartest people on this board.

Jordanbcool
08-30-2007, 03:59 PM

No. I've never heard of that.

I've heard that they would like to ban creatine. But I doubt it'll ever stand. The people that want to ban it are totally ignorant of its effects. I had one kid tell me that creatine makes you enraged and more aggressive. I laughed in his face and told him whoever told him that is a joke.

But people serioulsy link creatine to steroids so I wouldn't be surprised if more people try to push a ban for it.

Trevor M.
08-30-2007, 04:07 PM
I've heard that they would like to ban creatine. But I doubt it'll ever stand. The people that want to ban it are totally ignorant of its effects.
There is nothing more scary then a large group of ignorent people...

ncsuLuke
08-30-2007, 04:45 PM
ban creatine?

that would be ridiculous

DoUgL@S
08-30-2007, 04:51 PM
After that we should ban vitamins. :)

rick148
09-01-2007, 04:04 PM
Definitely a good multivitamin, protein and glucosamine and chondroitin for the joints

noyzee.com

squat 565
bench 350
deadlift 589 @148

jdeity
09-05-2007, 09:19 AM
spammer!!! why come nobody edited his links?

Essential? It really depends on your diet, but generally speaking: multivitamin/mineral (preferably w/o iron if you're a guy), and fish oils. Further stuff I'd look at weightgainers, proteins, and creatine, depending upon your goals.

ray34iyf
09-05-2007, 01:00 PM
Where exactly did all this creatine bull**** come from anyways? I mean, what these idiots are saying is the exact opposite of the truth. It makes no sense.