PDA

View Full Version : OK..someone help me tweak a diet, here..

Patz
08-30-2007, 05:52 AM
28 years old. 6'1 220 20-25%

First goal is 210.

I lift on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday. Planned cardio on Wednesdays, and maybe Saturday, but I work a lot of overtime until storm season is over.

This is what I have so far...

Meal 1 - Before gym (7-8am)

3 eggs, 1 slice 2% cheese as a sandwich on whole grain bread

that's like...445 calories, with maybe 29 grams of protein

Meal 2 - After Gym (somewhere before noon)

2 Scoops whey, 12 oz 2% milk

that should be 400 calories, and about 52 grams of protein

Meal 3 - (around 4pm)

Pack of Albacore Tuna in water, 10 Ritz crackers, 1tbsp mayo, relish

495 calories 52 grams protein

Overall, it's roughly 1340 calories, 133g protein, 85 carbs, and 51g fat, which breaks down to 40/25/38, respectively, by my third meal. I eat once more, somewhere between 8 and 9pm. I have no idea what it'll be, but it's always dinner with my girlfriend. We usually cook, even at that hour. She's trying to drop a few pounds, so I told her we can cook anything at my place as long as it's high protein. I'd like to get 40-50g there, meaning I'm probably going to eat chicken and fish with vegetables. Luckily, we're in bed by 11 most nights, so I won't be miserably hungry..lol

Any comment or critique is welcome. Just don't make it too difficult for me. I'd like to find something else to alternate with the tuna, mainly because I can't see myself eating tuna every day. Someone suggested sliced lunchmeat and cheese, but I've really had a sour taste for pressed deli meats lately. Things with a lot of sodium for preservation just aren't for me.

The egg sanGwich and shake I can do every day. I eat an egg sanGwich most days anyway.

Unholy
08-30-2007, 05:57 AM
Alrighty yo, since you are the man I'll tell you what I do and you can give it a shot!

Protein = 1g/lb of BW
Fat = .5g/lb of LBM
Carbs = 100-125g/day, on workout days I try to eat most of that 100g in my pre/post workout meals, on offdays I try to have the carbs earlier in the day.

For the past 2 months it has worked well. You are not eating enough fat. Oh and one thing I can say has worked wonders is the carb timing. Lots of energy during workouts but you won't get hungry all day since your other meals are slow digesting.

Patz
08-30-2007, 09:11 AM
OK..so you and I discussed it some and like I was thinking, I need some carbs in my PWO shake.

It has to last from around noon to around 4, so I'm going with natural PB and probably dextrose...since I have a bunch of it I haven't been using, and it's slower digesting than straight sugar. I think it's 16 calories, 4g carbs per teaspoon. Damn that's gonna taste sweet..lol

For my last meal I'll try to go with high protein, and pick up some fat. I've been eating ground buffalo a lot lately, so that might be a good way to go. Great stuff..tastes great..15% fat.

Any other ideas for the tuna alternate?

Anthony
08-30-2007, 09:46 AM
Meat. Veggies. Nuts. Every meal. Use common sense for portions. If things aren't going well, adjust portions. If overall calories get low, refeed once in while.

Consistency with your food choices before anything else, though.

DoUgL@S
08-30-2007, 10:14 AM
Meat. Veggies. Nuts. Every meal. Use common sense for portions. If things aren't going well, adjust portions. If overall calories get low, refeed once in while.

Consistency with your food choices before anything else, though.

This is great advice, but to loose weight isn't it consistency of a caloric deficit before anything else? Followed in close second by food choices.

To Echo what Unreal said, with your stats it works out to at least 175 g of Protein, and 88 g of fat per day. Decide what kind of deficit you want to run and fill in the rest with whatever you want.

Anthony
08-30-2007, 10:25 AM
This is great advice, but to loose weight isn't it consistency of a caloric deficit before anything else? Followed in close second by food choices.

Debatable, but in my opinion food choice (meat, veggies, nuts) is more important in the beginning. It accomplishes two things:

1) micro/macro nutrient requirements will be met on a daily basis with one simple question - does my plate contain meat, veggies, and nuts? When you answer "yes" 90% of your meals, you'll be golden.

2) establishes habits that can be maintained for life.

These changes alone will bring favorable results, and for most, enough results that more detail isn't required. But if someone did reach a level where more attention/planning was required, the calorie manipulation would be pretty intuitive at that point.

DoUgL@S
08-30-2007, 10:36 AM
Debatable, but in my opinion food choice (meat, veggies, nuts) is more important in the beginning. It accomplishes two things:

1) micro/macro nutrient requirements will be met on a daily basis with one simple question - does my plate contain meat, veggies, and nuts? When you answer "yes" 90% of your meals, you'll be golden.

2) establishes habits that can be maintained for life.

These changes alone will bring favorable results, and for most, enough results that more detail isn't required. But if someone did reach a level where more attention/planning was required, the calorie manipulation would be pretty intuitive at that point.

Very well put. Thanks.

Patz
08-31-2007, 09:19 AM
Anthony...

Are you suggesting building each meal around those things and adding foods as-needed, or actually only eating those foods?

And, what do you use for vegetables with concern to portability?

Patz
08-31-2007, 09:21 AM
I thought about this while I was in the shower earlier, and meat, veggies, nuts eliminates a few hundred years of food evolution from the diet.

You've got little or no carbs, and are basically eating a hunter/gatherer's diet.

Anthony
08-31-2007, 09:46 AM
Pat,

I personally wouldn't eliminate entire groups of foods, but I would definitely focus on the above staples and go from there.

For portability, Walmart sells Thermos brand lunch coolers that stay cold all day with 2 small ice packs inside. I can fit 3-4 full meals and a Nalgene water bottle inside without issues. Easy to carry, easy to wash, and sits on top of my desk for 8 hours without issue. I've also used it outside in 40*C heat for 8+ hours and had no issues.

Stumprrp
08-31-2007, 10:32 AM
anthony REALLY means pizza/burgers/dogs at every meal!

just kidding, i like anthonys advice aside from the extremely low carbs, add in some fruits + oatmeals and whole grain breads and your good to go!

DoUgL@S
08-31-2007, 10:36 AM
My understanding is that those are the basics of every meal, and he is suggesting adding fruits and other carb sources (the less processed the better). If you are good at guestimating portions then this should work great.

Anthony
08-31-2007, 11:03 AM
Pat & Stump, how do you get low carbs from the advice I gave? There are plenty of carb dense veggies - sweet potatoes, squash, turnip, etc. Not everything is iceberg lettuce and celery. :p