PDA

View Full Version : Speed Training ; Need Suggestions

Griever14206
08-30-2007, 10:46 PM
Im looking to start a training regimen (already going to follow the official wannabebig workout) when college starts in the college gym. (free gym = :))

Outside of that, I'm looking to build my speed, or more specifically explosiveness and quickness, football speed in other words. I've noticed a lot of the equipment for speed training is extremely simplistic but expensive. So my questions are

What equipments works? Parachutes? Ladders etc....

What sort of non-equipment based excercises are also effective? I've been thinking stairs and uphill sprinting? I've heard "HIIT" mentioned several times on these forums but am clueless as to what it means.

pbal17
08-31-2007, 12:56 AM
HIIT stands for high intensity interval training. you go for short bursts (below 30 seconds at maximum intensity). it works well, but things like suicides work for quickness too. get cones or something similiar and just get to them

Anthony
08-31-2007, 04:55 AM
1) Learn proper running / sprinting technique.

2) Get stronger.

Parachutes and most novelty speed toys look fun and cool, but unless you're an advanced athlete using them in a very controlled environment, they are pretty much junk.

Chubrock
08-31-2007, 06:24 AM
1) Learn proper running / sprinting technique.

2) Get stronger.

Parachutes and most novelty speed toys look fun and cool, but unless you're an advanced athlete using them in a very controlled environment, they are pretty much junk.

Listen to this midget, I mean guy. Proper sprinting technique will take off more time then most anything you'll do.

redFury
08-31-2007, 07:42 AM
Along with technique... I think you just need to get out there and sprint. Simples ladders (50-100-150-100-50 etc) 50 repeats etc. I personally do not like suicides for speed as it is counter intuitive to form.

teenathlete3030
08-31-2007, 11:47 AM
By football speed I'm not sure if you mean you're actually playing a sport or would just like the benefits of one of those types of athletes.

If it's just the straght forward speed you want, training like a track sprinter would have benefits. In addition to form that would include lots of acceleration work, sprints under 60m, etc. Top end speed can be better built by running top speed, hills, etc. The HIIT stuff and similar training methods is best for sprinting endurance but it also helps speed because of the form, muscle memory, etc.

However, if you want the added footspeed, agility of a football or basketball player, some inexpensive drills are ladders (don't go out and buy one, just put some tape on the ground), dot drill (search it), tires, cone shuffles, etc.

All of this should be done in combination with weights. Choose the exercises according to what you're goals are. I hope this gave some help.

Griever14206
08-31-2007, 02:22 PM
Thank you for the help, definitely some good stuff here. I am attending college in a few days and I live in Buffalo, NY. I'm currently 6'1 180lbs with a pretty high BF % (i recently dropped down from 235 lbs) and I am looking to get into football shape so I can try to be a walk-on at UB (not the greatest football program I know). Ideally I am trying to play Safety or tailback, and my goal is to run a sub 4.6 40 yard dash. I figure 180 was about the right place to stop at (although I still have a small "gut") so know I am ready to start my workout.

I'll probably start a small diary to fill people in on my progress. Even if I don't manage to play college ball (it's a long-shot I know) I still would like to be in very good shape.