PDA

View Full Version : Drinking coffee? Beneficial to my health? Detrimental to my smile?

sharkall2003
08-31-2007, 06:30 AM
I'm an asthmatic, as most people know on this board. But I also refuse to take prescription medications. I think survival of the fittest with natures tools is the best way to fight infectious disease. In which I will say I have a breathing disorder. I looked up online and consulted with my doctor what I could do. The only thing he recommended was drinking coffee. It's my understanding that coffee contains no calories, but caffeine. I was wondering if there are certain kinds of coffee you must purchase to help out with these breathing problems that I have. Also, will this be detrimental to my smile? As in, I'll need to buy whitening strips? I've read some studies that said whitening strips actually could cause some forms of heart related disease, but that was in Men's Health, so it might not be the best study to look at.

I would love to take the asthma medications but I've had numerous side-effects to medications that are supposed to help me. Albuterol makes me shake, keeps me up, and is only a short-term reliever. Breathing treatment actually hurts you in the long wrong. Oxygen tanks actually cause a form of corrosion in the body (Chemistry teacher with a Ph. D told me this), and the other side-effects are too big to actually take the medication. Not only that, but last time I was given prednisone I had bruises and gained A LOT of weight.

Unholy
08-31-2007, 06:40 AM
If its caffeine your after you can buy 100 200mg caffeine pills from prolab for $6.

sharkall2003
08-31-2007, 06:42 AM
If its caffeine your after you can buy 100 200mg caffeine pills from prolab for $6.

I have caffeine pills. I was just wondering why coffee was recommended. Are there other elements in the coffee that temporarily dilate my bronchial passages?

Unholy
08-31-2007, 06:45 AM
I am 90% sure that its the caffeine. If you want something a little stronger get Vasopro Ephedrine, the stuff is actually sold as a broncodilator.

RedSpikeyThing
08-31-2007, 07:13 AM
I have caffeine pills. I was just wondering why coffee was recommended. Are there other elements in the coffee that temporarily dilate my bronchial passages?

I'm pretty sure it's caffeine. My g/f has asthma and when she doesn't have her inhalers she looks for anything with caffeine. Coke works in a pinch.

I think coffee was recommended because it's cheap and calorie free.

EDIT: I have drank a significant amount of coffee over the last 3 or 4 years and haven't noticed any teeth discolouration. I'm not convinced it stains them as easily as a lot of people make it out.

Cirino83
08-31-2007, 07:13 AM
I found this real quick for you. Not sure if it helps or not...

Actually it is the caffeine in coffee that helps to improve the airway function of an asthmatic. Medical researchers found that the body cannot distinquish between caffeine and Theophylline, a drug commonly prescribed for persons with asthma. However, they caution one should never use caffeine instead of their prescribed medication. Two six-ounce cups of coffee, soda (colas) or tea or two chocolate bars contain enough caffeine to help alleviate asthma symptoms in an emergency situation.

Also as far as whitening your teeth, I've been drinking coffee since I was probably 15 (now 23) and my teeth didn't get noticeable discolored. I used crest white strips a few months ago because I wanted to make the whiter, but didn't by any means need to.

Coffee I believe has little or no cals, it's just the stuff you add (cream/sugar) that has the cals. Or if you get starbucks or lattes or that crap.

RedSpikeyThing
08-31-2007, 07:17 AM
Coffee I believe has little or no cals, it's just the stuff you add (cream/sugar) that has the cals. Or if you get starbucks or lattes or that crap.

Starbucks regular coffee is 0 cal. Anything other than that is like drinking liquid candy.