PDA

View Full Version : Girl's Hockey Strength/Conditioning Program

stallion
08-31-2007, 07:52 AM
.....I need one.

And I also know that this should be in the sports-specific section, but I figured I'd get more looks here in Gen Chat.

Anyhose, like I said, I need a decent program. I'm volunteer coaching at my school's newly-formed girl's club hockey team. Having had some background in strength conditioning (yes highschool football), I thought that might help me design a program, with some tweaking.

However this is hockey.

Furthermore, they're girls (no sexist).

If anyone here played hockey and remembers what the off-season and/or in-season strength and conditioning program was like, please, PLEASE, help a brother out. That'd be me, by the way. Like I said, I have ideas but I could absolutely use the knowledge of someone more experienced.

Thanks in advance.

RedSpikeyThing
08-31-2007, 08:05 AM
Can't help with the program, but I'm going to say you shuld be training them the same way as men.

Stumprrp
08-31-2007, 08:49 AM
train em like football players man, training the body as a whole will help them i would think, try to do a bit more specific stuff, possibly types of lunges? some split squats?

Hockey66
08-31-2007, 10:54 AM
In the off I just did an upper/lower split, hitting each twice per week. During the season I cut back to only hitting legs once per week, but that's because my coach made us do a bunch of explosiveness work and plyometrics. Also, skating for over an hour a day DOES take a toll on your legs, it is much tougher than running.

Hit the lower body hard... squats, deadlifts, front squats, lunges, good mornings, SLDLs, Romanian DLs, leg press, etc, etc. Do heavy weighted ab work, it helps a lot for staying strong on your skates. I've had guys hit me while I'm off guard and not paying attention and drop like a sack of potatoes, and I owe that to all the deadlifting, squatting and heavy ab work.

For cardio training, I mostly did HIIT. Hockey is basically going all out for a 45 second - 1 minute shift and then resting for a couple minutes. Some SS cardio once in a while wont hurt, but HIIT is much better. Maybe get them doing some explosiveness work too, throw in speed squats and plyometrics once a week or something.

Being typical girls, they might be reluctant to train like this under the misconception that they're going to turn into Arnold. In that case, show them MariAnne's pictures or something.

Hope I could help.

mikey4402
08-31-2007, 11:12 AM
agree with hockey.

What age group are this girls, have most of them played before?

I would focus more on on-ice work now. skating drills and such. laura stamm has a great book/dvd on power skating.

Excelsior
08-31-2007, 11:59 AM
Peter Twist has an excellent hockey conditioning book. It's general hockey conditioning however, not designed specifically towards girls.

Built
08-31-2007, 12:27 PM
... not designed specifically towards girls.
This won't matter.

I'm glad Hockey responded; this will be interesting to watch. To the OP, when you get it worked out, could I trouble you to post it and or drop me a PM? I'd love to see what you end up doing and how your athletes respond.

Excelsior
08-31-2007, 12:51 PM
Yes, the book is very well rounded regardless.

stallion
08-31-2007, 03:50 PM
agree with hockey.

I would focus more on on-ice work now. skating drills and such. laura stamm has a great book/dvd on power skating.

They are college-aged girls. I think I'll end up doing more or less what Hockey suggested with a program geared slightly more towards lower/core work, with some upper body stuff thrown in to tighten up.

Before they get on the ice HIIT sprints will have to be the way to go for conditioning, as well as all sorts of plyometrics jumps. Shuttle runs were a killer, so those would probably get in there. Can you guys think of any other plyometrics/speed/general conditioning things I can do that would be beneficial to hockey players, but are not done on the ice?

If you guys have anything else, it would be extremely helpful. I plan on having a pretty solid plan by this upcoming Monday (hopefully).

Built
08-31-2007, 04:08 PM
Dynamic stretches, I'll toss that in because they are often neglected and they're an important part of speed work.

I wrote a little article on my blog about them.
http://builtblog.wikidbody.com/2007/07/18/high-intensity-interval-foreplay/

nhlfan
08-31-2007, 05:42 PM
If I were you, I'd have them in the weight room 3 days a week.

Monday: squats, deadlifts, accessories
Wednesday: overhead press, pullups, and abs
Friday: GPP, speed work, pylo work...do whatever on this day. Maybe even Crossfit WOTD

then just have them on-ice as much as possible. make them skate as fast and hard as they can while dragging a load. make them skate lines. make them pass, shoot, and defensively check until it becomes second nature.

Built
08-31-2007, 05:53 PM
I wanted so badly to play hockey when I was a kid.

We weren't allowed. We had figure skating and ringette (ick, we knew that was girly hockey and lame) and that was it. I remember being told to take my stick and get off the ice when I was six.

This is SO interesting to me. Imagine a team of properly trained young women on the ice? A team who has had the strength training and speed drills... the coaching of an elite professional men's team?

They'll be unstoppable.

RedSpikeyThing
08-31-2007, 09:22 PM
Imagine a team of properly trained young women on the ice? A team who has had the strength training and speed drills... the coaching of an elite professional men's team?

They'll be unstoppable.

They'd be......CANADIANS!!!

Built
08-31-2007, 09:23 PM
Indeed.

;)

Hockey66
09-01-2007, 12:08 AM
agree with hockey.

I thought this was about off-ice training, but if that's not the case then I agree in focusing on on-ice training. Powerful legs mean nothing if your skating form is off. Practice lots of explosive starts and lateral movement, with fastfeet work like the iron cross, etc.

mikesbytes
09-01-2007, 03:01 AM
There's a little bit of info on the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS)

http://www.ais.org.au/hockey/training.asp