PDA

View Full Version : From 157lbs to... 157lbs.

Outshine
08-31-2007, 10:56 AM
So I think I'm officially done cutting, and I took some pics. Then I realized a funny thing.

At the end of this cut I'm 157lbs. What's funny about that is at the end of the previous cut, I was also 157lbs. That means I bulked, then cut to 157lbs, then bulked again, and then cut again back down to exactly 157lbs.

The first obvious thought here is that I made absolutely no progress. So, to help prove (to myself) that this wasn't the case, I tried to find pics of similar poses at the old 157lbs to compare to the current 157lbs. This is one of those pics.

I'm 5'10 and 24 years old, by the way. I plan to start bulking within the next few weeks at which point I hope to make at least double the progess I made during my last bulk, which I personally think fell short of what it should have been for a variety of reasons... all of which will not occur this time around. I don't expect to have to cut back into the 150's (or low 160's) ever again. ;)

Anyway, here's the pics. Aside from the somewhat improved backne, what do you guys think?

Thanks.

IZich
08-31-2007, 11:07 AM
Your V-taper looks much improved form the side-by-side. Otherwise, it could be the angle but honestly it doesn't look that much different.

cphafner
08-31-2007, 11:17 AM
i totally disagree with izich. You bis, tris, delts, and taper are all much improved.

Stumprrp
08-31-2007, 11:26 AM
i agree with CP your arms and lats improved alot

leetuck
08-31-2007, 11:47 AM
Your rear should development has improved. Also a higher bicep peak.

Alex.V
08-31-2007, 11:53 AM
Stop bulking and cutting.

Questor
08-31-2007, 12:33 PM
Much improved. Now bulk 50 lbs. :)

Outshine
08-31-2007, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Your V-taper looks much improved form the side-by-side. Otherwise, it could be the angle but honestly it doesn't look that much different.

Fair enough.

i totally disagree with izich. You bis, tris, delts, and taper are all much improved.

Thanks man. Obviously at 157 pathetic pounds there's really no possible way I can look "big" or "huge" or even "pretty good," but, I still think there are noticeable improvements.

i agree with CP your arms and lats improved alot

Thanks stump.

Your rear should development has improved. Also a higher bicep peak.

Agreed. Thanks.

Stop bulking and cutting.

Uh, care to explain?

Much improved. Now bulk 50 lbs. :)

Thanks. And yeah, adding a minimum of 20lbs to my frame is #1 on my to do list.

IZich
08-31-2007, 12:55 PM
I think Belial means to add "Stop bulking and cutting so quickly".

Outshine
08-31-2007, 01:08 PM
I think Belial means to add "Stop bulking and cutting so quickly".

Really? That would make little sense though, as I bulk and cut at a rate of 0.5lb per week. The bulk between these two cuts was about 18lbs. So uh, if that's indeed what he meant, it makes no sense.

Con
08-31-2007, 02:30 PM
I think izich was wrong with his meaning of Belials post.

I may also be wrong, but heres what I think Belial meant(also what I think too):

Focus on long term progression. You are not a BBer correct? Then simply eat more than needed(nothing retarted mind you) and get a lot bigger/stronger.

Im really just guessing, but that would be my advice.

Ps: Im in the same boat as you, excpet you look leaner.

Outshine
08-31-2007, 02:49 PM
I think izich was wrong with his meaning of Belials post.

I may also be wrong, but heres what I think Belial meant(also what I think too):

Focus on long term progression. You are not a BBer correct? Then simply eat more than needed(nothing retarted mind you) and get a lot bigger/stronger.

Im really just guessing, but that would be my advice.

Ps: Im in the same boat as you, excpet you look leaner.

If that's what he meant, then that also makes little sense. Focusing on just eating more than needed is obviously a requirement of any kind of strength or size gains. It's what I did/will be doing for this bulk. The side effect of this is some fat gain... which means at some point that fat needs to be lost. This is bulking and cutting.

Hopefully Belial himself can explain his statement. I'm getting antsy. :)

Con
08-31-2007, 03:00 PM
Yea that would be your best bet.

Only thing I can think to counteract what you just said is that, even after your cut and bulk cycles, you are very small. Maybe go slower, and focus on getting A LOT bigger and stronger over a longer time. Kind of like Rome wasnt built in a day. But again, im speculating.

Remember im in the same boat as you, so I know that type of advice is hard to listen to.

Gl.

North
08-31-2007, 03:43 PM
Your farmer's tan has gotten a lot better too. Just messing with you, nice improvement from the last cut

Alex.V
08-31-2007, 04:11 PM
lol. Sorry, didn't mean to cause aggravation.

Essentially, although I believe you've made good progress, I'm not a big fan of the usual "bulk and cut" for the simple reason that there's a good deal of waste associated with it. Most people would probably make better, more consistent progress if they simply didn't put on the excess fat to begin with. Unless your goal is to look as good as you possibly can at 157 pounds, chance are you shot yourself in the foot a bit by adding a bit too much fat, and losing a bit too much muscle during the cut.

Sure, traditional bulking adds more muscle than a lean bulk, but in an ideal situation, not much more. Chances are, you'll eliminate all those extra gains (and a bit more) during the diet phase.

ESPECIALLY if you're natural.

Outshine
08-31-2007, 04:25 PM
Your farmer's tan has gotten a lot better too. Just messing with you, nice improvement from the last cut

Ha... thanks. I credit that to high rep farmer's tan kickbacks.

Essentially, although I believe you've made good progress, I'm not a big fan of the usual "bulk and cut" for the simple reason that there's a good deal of waste associated with it. Most people would probably make better, more consistent progress if they simply didn't put on the excess fat to begin with. Unless your goal is to look as good as you possibly can at 157 pounds, chance are you shot yourself in the foot a bit by adding a bit too much fat, and losing a bit too much muscle during the cut.

Sure, traditional bulking adds more muscle than a lean bulk, but in an ideal situation, not much more. Chances are, you'll eliminate all those extra gains (and a bit more) during the diet phase.

Thanks for clarifying and ending the "what do you think he meant" contest. :D

I actually agree 100% with every word you said. I'm the first one to admit that I put on too much fat and too little muscle during this last bulk, and that I was pretty unhappy with the results. I actually blame that more on crappy training rather than a crappy diet.

This time around though I'll be about 300 completely clean calories above maintenance, and my training, which has greatly improved during this cut, will definitely be what it should have been.

Thanks for the feedback, by the way.

Alex.V
08-31-2007, 04:30 PM
Hey, no, you've made noticeable strides man, wasn't trying to take that away from you. Scale says the same, but body composition's changed noticeably. I was just throwing out my $0.02 for future plans. :)

Outshine
08-31-2007, 04:36 PM
No no, I know. I didn't take your comments negatively at all. I posted pics specifically to get people's 2 cents, and yours were exactly what I was looking for.

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think my future plans sound pretty similar to your recommendations, right?

Con
08-31-2007, 05:03 PM
Hey outshine, what do I get for kinda sorta, almost nailing Belials true meaning on the head :D

LibertyDante
08-31-2007, 05:05 PM
I see a big difference, good job!! keep up the good work... I'd bulk up to 180 and cut again.

Outshine
08-31-2007, 06:22 PM
Hey outshine, what do I get for kinda sorta, almost nailing Belials true meaning on the head :D

You officially place second in the contest. Congrats! :clap:

I see a big difference, good job!! keep up the good work... I'd bulk up to 180 and cut again.

Thanks. 180 is actually what I'd like to get up to. It all depends on my muscle to fat gain ratio, which has previously always sucked. We'll see.

slither
09-02-2007, 12:16 AM

We need an AMEN smiley

Wales81
09-02-2007, 08:56 AM
You are definately packing more muscle on at 157 this time round so progress has definately been made - well done! I also like your new 'fro in the after picture.

Nice work.

Herandi
09-02-2007, 09:15 AM

i agree with this, and i think too many people go down the huge bulk (til your fat) and then cut-and-lose-a-lot-of-muscle route.

OP: v taper looks much improved, and biceps definately more peaked. You've made good progress.