PDA

View Full Version : Where to get a box?

Tofer
09-01-2007, 08:31 PM
I'm trying to figure out where I might be able to find a 24 inch box (and probably 36 and 48 at some point too) for box jumps. My guess is that I'm probably going to just have to build it myself but I don't know how sturdy it'll be...

Any ideas?

Tofer
09-01-2007, 08:38 PM
I found this: http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=12749&page=1

...but I really don't have the tools to cut the wood properly.

Clifford Gillmore
09-01-2007, 08:54 PM
Elitefts have some expensive boxes.

Detard
09-01-2007, 10:49 PM
You could buy a hand saw and put a little elbow grease into it. It'll save you a hell of a lot of money. Another option is to get a welder to do it for you. Find a cheap guy (it helps if your friends with him too) and make some drawings.

I see you have the Canadian flag as your location. Where you from?

Tofer
09-01-2007, 11:03 PM
Yeah, don't get me wrong, I enjoy building ****. I put all my gym equipment together myself as well as most of the stuff around the house. It's really just a matter of having the right tools which I don't.

I think I may just borrow a hand saw from work (although a circular saw would make things much easier), like you suggested, grab a protractor and draw out a couple stencils on some carboard first. I just don't wanna mess up with the actual wood because that stuff isn't too cheap, and if I have to buy more because of a mistake it may end up being more expensive than just buying a ready-made box in the first place.

Alternatively, I do know two welders, so maybe I'll talk to them first to see if they'd be interested in helping me out for a little extra money.

I'm from Winnipeg, Manitoba. I'm pretty sure there's only one other guy on here in the same city. You from Ontario?

Detard
09-02-2007, 01:45 PM
Yeah i;m from Toronto.

I had made a drawing for a box that had different height settings (a pin that u could pull out on each leg to raise it higher or lower) but I dont know how sturdy that would be. You'll have to take some pictures of your box once its finished.

OceanFit
09-04-2007, 11:52 AM
make it?

Tofer
09-04-2007, 12:30 PM
make it?
Thanks for reading the thread, buddy. Nice work.

FoolsGame
09-04-2007, 03:53 PM
You can always hit up Homedepot and get a box of any kind... No matter the purpose is, you can always use it for something else. I know they have boxes for stands and calibrators.

brownbear
09-15-2007, 08:14 PM
If you don't have the saw but have other equipment (wood glue and screw combination), Home Depot will usually cut down any wood you buy from them to specifications you provide.

No saw, no problem!

Bikkstah
09-15-2007, 10:39 PM
Yeah, home depot and lowe's have big wall saws and will cut each piece of wood up to 5 times for free.

jdeity
09-19-2007, 08:31 AM
Not only that, but they'll charge like $0.50 per cut after that, and if the guy's cool and you build rapport (and you don't go at a busy time) he'll probably cut crap all day for your.

Seriously though, I'd just go to home depot, have some plywood and stud pieces cut so you can get them in your car. Buy a cheap saw (probably $5-7), and a box of generic nails. Assuming you have a hammer, you could build several boxes and be out only like $25 bucks.

Brownbear- I don't think he's gonna want to rely on wood glue for a box being built for exercise purposes. I'd want only nails/screws and probably a couple braces (braces would be in both hardware and in the building materials/wood section with the deck hardware).

<my home depot knowledge is because I'm there probably 5 times a week, for the past 4 months, no exaggeration. Once I'm done with renovating my house, I'm hitting craigslist for a cage or squat rack, and will be building a box from home depot myself.>

smokinHawk
09-19-2007, 09:06 AM
i have thought about welding up some metal jump boxes, and maybe selling them as all the places that sell them are expensive so i could undercut them and make some spare change, that and i wanted some for myself too.