PDA

View Full Version : How did you guys get over a bench plateau?

Chris255
09-02-2007, 03:58 PM
I am the worst gainer when it comes to benching. I'm currently stuck at 165, and thinking about this kinda routine....Note: ME day, not speed.

Couple sets flat bench, 8-12 reps...that 3-5,6-8 **** isn't working
Incline, 6-8 (lagging badly)
Dead/Board Presses, 3-5reps (lockout/tricep press)
Extension, 6-8, working, so not changing that (tricep)
Lat Holds/Reps, 30-45sec/6-8, as said above
Military Press, 6-8, raises aren't working anymore (also lagging badly) (delts)

So what do you think?

And gear....not sure if i'm ready for that yet, hence I've only been lifting for 9 months.

nhlfan
09-02-2007, 05:12 PM
move to lower rep, heavier benching. rotate one of floor, incline, close grip, and board press into each workout. rotate lat holds with weighted chin ups.

eat more and do a little speed work too.

redFury
09-02-2007, 05:29 PM
First off.. are you overtrained? So time off can always be good.

Some simple things I can think of are doing lower paused reps, weighted dips, low rep board pressess.

There's no reason you should be stuck if you've only been benching for 9 months. Is the above what you're doing now?

nhlfan
09-02-2007, 05:40 PM
how often do you perform that workout?

deeder
09-02-2007, 06:01 PM
You're doing too much IMO.

Chris255
09-02-2007, 06:02 PM
redFury - no, i'm not over trained. BP's are in there, dips aren't my thing, and I'll try pauses also. No, that's what I'm thinking about to start doing.

nhl - I don't.

Bako Lifter
09-02-2007, 06:53 PM
Just take a look at what other guys are doing on their bench days.

Chris255
09-02-2007, 07:01 PM
You're doing too much IMO.

explain?

Sensei
09-02-2007, 07:16 PM
I find that buying a new shirt generally solves the problem.

North
09-02-2007, 08:16 PM
If your bench isn't going up and your doing other chest exercises such as incline and floor presses. I think its best to drop the extra stuff, try focusing on one chest exercise and one tricep exercise for your bench day.

Maybe try something like
Monday
Bench 4x5
Dips/CGBP 4x5 or 3x8

Then if you want to add another day do a speed day on friday or just bench on monday and do dips on friday. But when my bench wasn't growing I think it was because I was doing flat/decline/incline.

Chris255
09-02-2007, 09:03 PM
I find that buying a new shirt generally solves the problem.

No gear here...soon...maybe..

Chris255
09-02-2007, 09:05 PM
If your bench isn't going up and your doing other chest exercises such as incline and floor presses. I think its best to drop the extra stuff, try focusing on one chest exercise and one tricep exercise for your bench day.

Maybe try something like
Monday
Bench 4x5
Dips/CGBP 4x5 or 3x8

Then if you want to add another day do a speed day on friday or just bench on monday and do dips on friday. But when my bench wasn't growing I think it was because I was doing flat/decline/incline.

Idk...you gotta train all the assistance muscles, just not one.

North
09-02-2007, 09:26 PM
^^ Your right, working your lats and front/rear delts are very important too, i'm just assuming he's doing those too. I like working my shoulders and lats on different days than my bench though.

redFury
09-02-2007, 09:51 PM
Idk...you gotta train all the assistance muscles, just not one.

Honestly... Doing a shoulder/tri and chest exercise would prolly be more than enough in your case. There are a fair amount of decent advice here, that would serve you well.

For a solid ME day you really need only 3-4 exercises. Your overhead pressing and incline are redundant. You seem to think you're lagging on shoulders from what I read. So you are failing only a few inches off your chest with 170 correct?

jtteg_x
09-03-2007, 12:22 AM
read up on logs here. so far i been keeping up with vicent dienzo's log for raw benching.

Sensei
09-03-2007, 12:28 AM
No gear here...soon...maybe..I was only half-serious...

pbal17
09-03-2007, 03:43 AM
i havent seen it yet (although i may have missed it) but what helped me get over my first plateau was switching to dumbs for a lil and working up with those, gained some strength and then moved back. now i switch back and forth.

ddurkee
09-03-2007, 08:24 AM
how many sets is that per movement? give the detailed breakdown of your work sets.
ex.
3 board: 315x3, 405x1, 455x1
4 board: 495x1, 545x1
etc.

from what you have there, it looks like either too much work/too much pressing or not enough work per movement, depending on you rep/set scheme.

a typical workout for my crew is:
1) pick a board and work up to heavy singles
2) 1 or 2 heavy sets with the shirt on, if you're putting it on that night
3) some close grip (pinky on rings) high boards. optional, depending on how your feeling and if you put the shirt on.

after that, some assistance work for back, triceps, and rear delts.

in general, the best way to get out of a rut is to change things up.

also, imho, you do not have the foundation built yet for using a shirt.

Leeman
09-03-2007, 08:41 AM
Im not takeing away from westside but with a 165 bench I think you need more volume than you will get from westside....

Then finnish it off with 3 sets of heavy dumbell raises, and 3 sets of 20-30 rep sickly hard pushdown just to finnish your triceps off.

For your assistance workout do...4 sets of dumbell shoulder press moveing up weight until you cant get 5 reps.

4 setts of scull crushers moveing up weight until you cant get 5 reps.

high incline dumbell bench,3x20 move them as fast as posible, they should be hard to get 20 also.

Pushdowns
2x20-30 very heavy weight, rest at the bottom if you have to.

Move all weights as fast as posible, always use mroe weight in each different workout. Add another 1000 calories on your liftind days. And take as much time between sets as you need so you can move the most weight posible.

I just made this up off the top of my head, it would have worked great for me I think when I was benching 165. back then I would do the same reps and weight all the time and never change things up. That and I never lifted heavy enough. Always endless sets of medium heavy weight.

But yeah I think if you follow all of this here and use as much eight as posible and gain weight you are bound to put weight on your bench.

sharkall2003
09-03-2007, 11:09 AM
Westside.

Mike G
09-03-2007, 01:20 PM
More info would be helpful. How long you have been stuck, gains made in nine months, current split. You might be overtrained and not realize it. I don't think Basic Westside is the answer, not with a 165 bench.

Read a bunch of articles and the journals in here for more info. For now I would say stick to the basics. A lot of people like to jump into advanced training when the basics would still work very well. 5x5 has always worked well for me. If you like your layout, go for it. Ulitmately, you have to decide what works for you and in a few months you'll know. Even if it doesn't work, you learned that much so it's not wasted time.

Invain
09-03-2007, 07:15 PM
Take a 1 - 2 week break.

Try something different, like using boards. Try dropping the reps and focus on heavier weight.

Sensei
09-03-2007, 08:44 PM
I am the worst gainer when it comes to benching. I'm currently stuck at 165, and thinking about this kinda routine....Note: ME day, not speed.

Couple sets flat bench, 8-12 reps...that 3-5,6-8 **** isn't working

So what do you think?
I think you need to bench more and heavier.

Guido
09-04-2007, 07:46 AM
I would do more sets of lower reps on your regular flat bench work, alternating between max effort and dynamic effort days.

Second, I would work in 2-3 of these assistance movements and rotate them each workout:

weighted dips
close grip bench
board presses
rack lockouts
floor presses
JM presses

Followed by one lat exercise such as weighted chinups or bent over rows. You can keep the military presses in there.

See how that works out for you.