PDA

View Full Version : Bout to start working out..

sanders4617
09-02-2007, 10:18 PM
Ok. The only picture I have is one at a concert where I am sitting down. It was early, so not many people were there. Anyway... I am about 5'11" and my weight is around 165. I fluctuate from 165-175. One month I might be around 170, the next 175, then I will go back down to 165 or so.

Anyway.. What bothers me the most is the slight flabbiness to my chest area. You can really see it when I have a small t-shirt on. I might look in good shape with slightly loose clothes on, but when the shirt comes off or just a tight shirt, you can really see where I need to work out.

I have never worked out before.. but basically, I want to try and build muscle in the chest area, to get rid of that flab.. basically, I just need to start working out. I want to be able to fill out shirts in a good way. I need help starting out.

I think I am gonna get a membership at a local gym, but I want to gain some knowledge first. First, I am going to try to run at least 2 times a week at the park. I am going to start eating healthier. Start substituting water more and more where coke use to be. Start eating grilled and baked foods, rather than fried (and thats hard to do in the south). Which means cutting out fast food. I have been told that I will need to eat much more when I start working out. I just have to figure out what to eat and what not to eat.

Then the working out part.. A person I know told me to start out working out like maybe 2 or 3 times a week at the most. I am gonna try to get him to help me start out, but I figure this forum would be a good place as well. I am also going to try to do some push-ups and crunches at night as well.

From the picture I have posted.. please try to help me get on the right path. Another reason to start working out, besides just looking better, is feeling better and hopefully giving me more energy. I am not the most energetic person, and I feel like eating better and working out could help that.

I don't care about getting huge.. body builder looking at all... but I guess you could say cut?

Thanks

Bako Lifter
09-02-2007, 11:08 PM
I want to try and build muscle in the chest area, to get rid of that flab..
Do you want to lose the flab or build some muscle? You can't "morph" the flab into muscle.

I think I am gonna get a membership at a local gym, but I want to gain some knowledge first. First, I am going to try to run at least 2 times a week at the park.
How come you want to run twice a week in the park? Definately get a membership, that's a MUST.

I have been told that I will need to eat much more when I start working out. I just have to figure out what to eat and what not to eat.
Do you want to start building muscle or do you want to lose that flab? Depending on your decision, you need to eat less or more.

Then the working out part.. A person I know told me to start out working out like maybe 2 or 3 times a week at the most. I am gonna try to get him to help me start out, but I figure this forum would be a good place as well. I am also going to try to do some push-ups and crunches at night as well.
This might sound a little mean, but I'm 98% sure your freind doesn't know **** about working out. I'd tell him thanks, but you alread know what to do.
Why crunches and push ups? I guess you could do that for a while, but don't think it's going to do much.

I don't care about getting huge.. body builder looking at all... but I guess you could say cut?
Even if you wanted to, you couldn't. I'm tired of people saying they don't want to get huge as if it were so easy. Sorry, I know you didn't mean anything by it.

deeder
09-02-2007, 11:13 PM
Judging from the picture, I'd say you definitely need to work on.... Umm... Working out.

sanders4617
09-02-2007, 11:18 PM
Haha deeder. Yeaaah thats why I came here, definitely not to show off my muscles.

Anyway.. I just thought about crunches and push-ups because its a form of building muscle.

About the friend... he is actually pretty muscular, but he can't work out right now because of an injury to his arm (motorcycle).. so I don't know if he is completely sure he knows what he is talking about, but he looks like it.

I guess I will search the forums for some basic workouts for beginners.

Scuzzbucket
09-03-2007, 01:12 AM
Well... where to start...

1) Getting rid of flab is a product of diet. Cut out all the fast food, sugar, unhealthy fats, alcohol etc. Eat lean meats, eggs, whole wheat carbs, fruits, veggies, and healthy fats (olive oil, fish, etc.) and try to get them in a (carbs%/protein%/fats%) 40/30/30, a 40/40/20 or a 50/30/20 split. Experimentation will help you decide which is best for you. The important thing is to quit eating out and you should probably learn how to cook for yourself. And I don't just mean how to work the microwave. When you're grocery shopping don't buy anything that comes in a box (except for maybe oatmeal).

Also, spot reduction is a myth. Doing more bench presses will not get rid of flab on your chest. I was under this impression in my early going as are countless others who see no results. Reduce caloric intake to 300-500 calories below maintenance. Bottom line: getting rid of flab requires a good diet and cardio. Definitely more than twice a week. Four to five times more likely.

2) You absolutely should get a gym membership You might even see if they offer free BF level testing and even a free personal training session or two. Take advantage of whatever they offer.

3) As a newb, you should workout about 3 times a week until your body is fully introduced to resistance training Try WBB#1. (http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=25&pageid=3) After a few months, try a different split. Mine is:
Monday: Chest and Biceps
Tuesday: Legs
Wednesday: Abs and cardio
Thursday: Delts and Triceps
Friday: Off
Saturday: Back and Abs
Sunday: Off

I also run 3-5 times a week.

4) Wanting more energy mean getting up and doing more. When your body becomes more acclimated to exercise and activity --with the help of a better diet-- it'll have more energy output. Just think of a hotrod: is it gonna be prepared for the 1/4 mile on pump gas and used only as a grocery getter? No.

5) As far as being permanently cut goes... say goodbye to eating however the hell you want. If you want a six-pack year 'round, it's gonna take work. Again: diet and cardio. Also, high reps with relatively low weight, although I'm not the best on this subject because I like to lift for strength, not aesthetics (hope that doesn't sound judgemental).

You're gonna feel inundated with info at the beginning... don't worry: everyone gets a little overwhelmed. It'll make more sense the more you learn and even more sense whn you apply it and see results.

pbal17
09-03-2007, 03:19 AM
you look like i did when i started working out. what everyone before me has said i agree with, except for the newbie split idea. WBB is even advanced (in my opinion) for someone brand new. you will make gains doing just about anything that you strain yourself doing, you just want to find which ones will give you the best results.

what im saying is, find what exercises are the best one, focus on the big movements (Bench, Deadlift, Squat and for me, Military Press) and then find the other workouts that work and will work for you.

getting into the groove of lifting is the most important and often overlooked part of starting. find what works for you and build off of that for a while. its your body (not to be cliche) so do what you need to do with it

sanders4617
09-03-2007, 01:00 PM
pbal17, I looked at the pictures on the beginning of your journal and that looks exactly how I want to look. I realize it will take a lot of time, but I am excited about doing this.

You said that WBB might be advanced for me... what do you think would be a good place to start?

Cards
09-03-2007, 01:34 PM
In my opinion do a 2 day split with a day off after. So do maybe

Day 1:
Flat Bench
Dips
Incline/ shoulders/ military press (which ever is your favorite)

Toss a chin up or two in there or BB rows
Finish off with a single isolation if you feel the need to or if you're spent just call it a day

Day 2:
Deadlift or squat
Calve raises
stiff legged deads
Maybe a bicep exercise if they didn’t get worked on day 1
Crunches or wood chops

Day 3: off if you need 2 days after a while take it

Like Pbal17 said, the most commonly overlooked part of starting to work out isn’t the exercises you do but getting into the momentum. You have to like what you do or it's going to seem like it's a "job" and no one likes to do things they feel they are required to do. So my 2 cents:
Grab an I-pod or something that plays music and fill it with pump up music, none of this boy band bull**** but something like eye of the tiger or find a partner. If I’m not lifting with pbal17 then I prefer to be by myself. Find a routine that you enjoy so when you go into the gym the only thing you want to do IS lift weights. Just watching those numbers in time will probably be enough but in the beginning it's hard. Eat right, by right I mean healthy and I know I’ve said this 100000000000000 times but enjoy it.

Edit: I was much skinnier then you when I start lifting btw about 7 months ago