PDA

View Full Version : increasing my 40

sports_freak589
09-03-2007, 06:17 PM
im playin freshman football and back when try outs we had to do 40s well my time was 4.95 and i think i really sucked well for my speed there i got to play tight end and reciever but i really like to play running back but there is people that are faster then me...so i was seeing if there is anyway i can increase my 40 to 4.6 so i can play running back during 10th grade?

schmitty199
09-03-2007, 07:57 PM
im playin freshman football and back when try outs we had to do 40s well my time was 4.95 and i think i really sucked well for my speed there i got to play tight end and reciever but i really like to play running back but there is people that are faster then me...so i was seeing if there is anyway i can increase my 40 to 4.6 so i can play running back during 10th grade?

Start stretching out good every day. Holding all the stretches for 30-40 seconds. The gained flexibility will help you improve your speed. Then obviously squats, plyometrics, and track. :)

JessWabbit
09-04-2007, 09:50 AM
definitely start stretching... and do lots of plymetrics!

redFury
09-04-2007, 10:40 AM
4.95 is excellent for a freshman... nice work! The best way to build sprint speed at your age imho is to simply sprint. You need to be doing sprint workouts weekly if not more frequently to increase your speed.

From there, total body strength training is what you want to do. For some one without a good strength base, plyos arent that helpful so I wouldn't recommend those.

teenathlete3030
09-05-2007, 05:54 AM
And learn proper running mechanics. One of the most common things I see is people running with wild arms and and strained face, not good. Look at the video of someone like tyson gay or other sprinters, see how they move their arms and keep a really relaxed face.

saia127
09-05-2007, 07:18 AM
For soccer my trainer makes us use ladders. Also Stretching and pumping your arms correctly are important.

Missionbrent
10-08-2007, 08:24 PM
You can never go wrong by following someone who has been there before you. If you want to be a running back you need constant explosive power from your legs. Squats, lunges, Sumo Dead lift, and other heavy leg exercises will help build the consistent strength need. For explosiveness you can do lifts with less weights and explosive tempos.

These exercises should help you with your explosiveness and speed without needing a weight room:
bodybuilding.com/fun/tomgreen1.htm

Track can help, but if your school doesn't have a good track team and you don't have natural speed you might not necessarily get the training and attention you would need. Also remember that your overall speed and running ability has a lot to do with your arms and shoulders. It's your running cadence. You have to work out your shoulders so they can keep up with the new found leg strength from your legs. Your legs will only go as fast as the rest of your body lets them.