PDA

View Full Version : BULKing food?

kevind345
09-04-2007, 05:24 PM
So i wiegh 157, im about 5' 9-10 12-13% body fat.....i eat a good amount of food and most if is really crappy calorie loaded food, and i never gain weight.

If i start a bulk with a goal of about 180-185 and my diet consists of this will i be succesful????

If i eat..
-Bananas
-Deli Turkey
-Deli Chicken
-Grilled chicken breast
- 2 glasses of milk a day
-Protien shakes
-bread and cheese (sandwiches)
-lean beef and steak
-potatoes
-corn
-i drink water all the time ..
and manage to get about 3500 cal out of that all day and at least my weight in grams of protien....do you think i will be able to gain fairly lean mass>?

So i would like to know if i eat these foods and hit my calarie/protein goal daily and workout 3-4 times a week....is that a terrible bulk diet.....the problem is i dont like many foods so i am limited.....please advise THANKS!!!

RhodeHouse
09-04-2007, 05:36 PM
You are only eating enough to weigh 157 - that's why you weigh 157. You can eat any kind of food you want. Your choices were fine. It's not what you eat, it's how much. I'll bet my right nut you don't eat nearly as much as you think. Here's a couple of guidelines

1 - if you ever get hungry, you don't eat enough
2 - if it tastes good, eat it
3 - if you're full, eat some more

Gaining weight is easy at your size.

kevind345
09-04-2007, 06:27 PM
Yea you are completely right, my problem is I go to long without food, so ill eat a huge stromboli thats probably over 1000 calories and then not eat for 5 hours, but my main question is this:

currently :155-158 12-13%F, if my maintainance level is 15-16 calories times my weight: 2350 - 2550 calories, and i eat 3000 or over everyday , i should gain around 1 lb a week right? but obviously I would like it to be as much muscle as possible and no fat, so after that, are the above foods adequate?

add peanuts and peanut butter to that list, and if it would help a lot i could eat some fish.....let me know i need help thanks!!

smalls
09-04-2007, 06:40 PM
Re-read Rhodehouses post. It doesnt matter your choices, it matters how much you eat. If your eating 3500 cals and your not gaining weight then your are not eating above maintenence. Continue to increase calories until you do gain weight. Gain weight slower and chances are less of it will be fat. Dont rely on calculators to figure out how many calories you maintain or gain at, actually do it.

ray34iyf
09-04-2007, 07:10 PM
So is the idea that bulking with "clean" foods will help build more muscle dying? Is clean bulking a myth or what? The reason I ask is that when I start my bulk in a few weeks I don't want to feel the need to eat only rice and chicken at each meal.

saia127
09-04-2007, 07:10 PM
A big breakfast is a good way to start the day with alot of calories. Try to eat 3 big meals and 2 smaller ones during the day.

Here is a list of foods you can eat. (http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=46565&highlight=bodybuilder+eats)

Also it's a good idea to track your calories. fitday (http://fitday.com/) is a website that track your calories for you.

Good Luck.

Eric Cartman
09-04-2007, 07:22 PM
I would advise eating every 3 hours... Eat a huge meal, then wait 3 hours, eat another huge meal... that gives your body time to use the food, time to get hungry again.. do this consistently and your metabolism gets used to it...

EC

ray34iyf
09-04-2007, 07:24 PM
Not entirely true. Check out the thread on "IF Dieting". The "eat every three hours" thing is a dying myth. Eat whenever you want, based on your comfort.

smalls
09-04-2007, 09:28 PM
So is the idea that bulking with "clean" foods will help build more muscle dying? Is clean bulking a myth or what? The reason I ask is that when I start my bulk in a few weeks I don't want to feel the need to eat only rice and chicken at each meal.

I eat chicken and rice twice a day usually. Because it's easy control over my macronutrients, because it's convenient and cheap. Clean bulking has health benefits over eating disgusting bull**** that the rest of america (and many people on this website) seem to eat. But eating clean foods arent going to be the difference in fat gain, total calories, how fast you gain, how hard you work and your genetics, will.

As an aside, many people consider dirty bulking just overeating all the time without tracking much, which is usually why it ends up with faster, fatter gains.

JessWabbit
09-04-2007, 09:29 PM
Ice cream is my favorite bulking food!

cphafner
09-04-2007, 09:35 PM
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=46565

Unreal
09-05-2007, 07:08 AM
"Clean food" is just 1000x easier to track and get an accurate calorie count. Eating a burger and fries could be 800 or 1500 cals. A cup of oats is always 300, and 2 scoops of nitrean is always 220. In my opinion that is the main advantage to clean bulking. That and the health benefits.

Track you cals to detemine maintence. Don't use some calculator.

HahnB
09-05-2007, 01:19 PM
I've put on 70lbs since I began training and I've never had to eat when I was full or "stuff" myself. Eating like this will just lead to fat gain because you're probably eating way more than you need to put on LBM.

Cirino83
09-05-2007, 01:45 PM
^^ I agree. Only time I had to stuff my face all day is during a carb load on UD2. Other than that I just eat when I'm hungry and make sure to hit the macros.

North
09-05-2007, 02:08 PM
If you have trouble gaining weight. Try eating what you normally do, and make a night time shake, some fruit/protein/milk/sunflower seeds/nuts. They are quite tasty too.

HahnB
09-05-2007, 02:27 PM
It may be different for someone that's 250lbs, but for a beginner that's skinny there's just no way they should find eating enough to gain weight that difficult. They surely shouldn't need to eat when they're full or eat until they feel sick.

ray34iyf
09-05-2007, 02:55 PM
Yeah, but if you're making sure that you're always hitting a certain calorie goal, eating a burger and fries shouldn't matter as long as you fulfill your macros, correct?

Cirino83
09-05-2007, 04:07 PM
correct.

RhodeHouse
09-05-2007, 04:46 PM
Eat! That's the key to victory. If you're not gaining, eat more. You HAVE to gain fat to gain muscle. Have to like, if you want to live, you HAVE to breath. If you get a little fat, do some very light cardio 2-3x per week. But don't worry about it. Everything gets bigger when you gain weight. Even you covetted flat stomach. There is an exception. I've gained close to 20lbs in 3 weeks and my penis is still small.

As a side note, my BF has actually decreased in the last 3 weeks with the 20lb weight gain. You can gain fast and not get fat. No drugs, BTW. Not yet.

Rodzilla
09-05-2007, 06:02 PM
MILK. drink as much as you can. Its pretty much liquid food. 1 quart a day minimum!

zhimple
09-06-2007, 02:40 AM
drink a glass of milk