PDA

View Full Version : First Time cutting?

RinkerxX
09-05-2007, 01:08 PM
Any tips?

Built
09-05-2007, 01:47 PM
Diet link in my sig might help get you started.

RinkerxX
09-05-2007, 01:51 PM
thanks for that, Im still not used to dieting and all that I guess I will learn with time.

North
09-05-2007, 02:05 PM
A little tip i've learned while cutting these last couple of weeks. Chicken breast is your friend, get lots of it.

RinkerxX
09-05-2007, 02:07 PM
thanks these are the tips i was looking for what to eat and buy. On my old diet I ate about 2-3 chicken breasts a day what were you eating?

Also, I hate most veggies I know when cutting you want to eat Low fat foods. Would eating lots of fruits instead of veggies be alright? if so what are the better fruits for you.

Con
09-05-2007, 03:20 PM
Also, I hate most veggies

Learn to love, or atleast tolerate them.

I know when cutting you want to eat Low fat foods. Would eating lots of fruits instead of veggies be alright? if so what are the better fruits for you.

You know that huh? You "know" wrong information then. Do some research.

ray34iyf
09-05-2007, 03:41 PM
Buy Ultimate Diet 2.0 by Lyle McDonald. Read it, and then reread it, and then consider using it if it meets your goals.

North
09-05-2007, 04:01 PM
"On my old diet I ate about 2-3 chicken breasts a day what were you eating?"
About 3-4 lbs. a week.

Con
09-05-2007, 04:32 PM
Buy Ultimate Diet 2.0 by Lyle McDonald. Read it, and then reread it, and then consider using it if it meets your goals.

Why even consider recommending that to him?

From this thread atleast(havent checked his other posts), he hasnt given any information and from what I can tell doesnt know much at all about dieting. Who knows what his training could look like.

RinkerxX
09-05-2007, 04:40 PM
So there are no fruit substitues for veggies? And I don't know much about dieting I never dieted before in my life, But I recently broke my collarbone and had to have surgery which caused me to be inactive for a LONG time atleast the things I liked to do. I put on a lot of weight and can't seem to get it off, I was asking questions to learn, why do you think im here.

and the way I was taught to diet, was Low fat high protien. I dont know if thats right but thats all I know.

Built
09-05-2007, 05:19 PM
High fat is easier. Low fat doesn't satisfy hunger very well.

ray34iyf
09-05-2007, 08:06 PM
Con, I'm not saying that he should jump right into the diet. I'm saying that he could learn a great deal about dieting and training just from reading through it.

RinkerxX
09-06-2007, 05:19 PM
Ok, I got a membership and did my first day of liftin today (starting cut). So I said in an earlier post that I hated veggies, Heres a list of veggies that I actually love to eat: broccoli, greenbeans, carrots, corn, lettuce sometimes, Spinach is goo also. Anyways do you guys think this is enough veggies for me to eat? I also like a lot of different kinds of beans. (black, chic peas, hummus(same thing), chili beans ect. Also Love to eat whole grain breads but wouldnt the carbs in the bread slow down my cut? And do these foods seem alright to eat on a daily basis, what should I add if not.

Con
09-06-2007, 05:39 PM
I think doing a cut right from the start is a bad idea.

Did you read stickies yet?

RinkerxX
09-06-2007, 05:43 PM
i've read some of the stickies, i've lifted before the gym in town closed down.. prob 3-4 weeks ago.

Con
09-06-2007, 06:02 PM
So you are basically a begginer?

I doubt you'll take the advice, as it was given to me and I ignored it as well BUT focus on eating healthier in general, and work on strength gains for a few months. You will work towards two different goals rather than just one.

RinkerxX
09-06-2007, 06:08 PM
Im am not farmiliar with dieting, but i've lifted through highschool for football and other sports. But yea basically I have no idea how to diet. Im just trying to gain knowledge here and there.

Con
09-06-2007, 06:21 PM
So you arents a begginer to lifting?

That makes things a bit different, but not too much. Focus on making better food choices and then slowly reduce cals when you find foods and an eating pattern that suits yor life.

RinkerxX
09-06-2007, 06:36 PM
no i've lifted for quite a while on and off. and thanks for the contrustive criticism.

onecrazycowgirl
09-06-2007, 09:49 PM
I'm all about the high-fiber foods. Talking strictly carbs, proteins, and fats, you can eat twice as many grams of just carbs or proteins as you can fats, for about the same caloric value.

Getting too much fat/protein and not enough carbs isn't ideal for your body's metabolic processes - it's a lot of extra wear and tear on your liver to convert proteins into the energy your body needs to function. I like to get a lot of fiber, and eat it fairly frequently. I always have some apple slices with me, or carrots or something.

Oh yeah, and it goes without saying that you'll want to stay away from alcohol - as many kcals as fat/g, but with absolutely no nutritional value.

RinkerxX
09-06-2007, 10:16 PM
So everyones telling me different things, Is what I posted above a decent start? chicken, fish, veggies, fruit, couple fish oils a day, multivitamin, whey protein?

WBBIRL
09-06-2007, 10:28 PM
A fellow resident of Pennsylvania? I live about 20 mins away from you.

You don't want to eat a lot of most kinds of fruit, fruits are high in natural sugar and sugar = carbs.

Read the diet stickies in builts sig, then do it 3 more times making sure that you know it well enough that you could "teach" the information to someone else.

Hydrate yourself, and well. A minimum of 64 oz per day and I'd bump that to 128 oz on lifting days.

Keep protein at 2g per pounds of lean body mass no matter what approach your taking with cutting.

Lift heavy working in the lower to mid rep ranges. This will force your body to hold onto muscle, providing an adequate amount of proteins are available.

You could try a few things, but we don't know exactly how "fat" you are right now and what your goals are.

If you need to drop a good bit of fat then try PSMF. Its a diet by Lyle Mcdonald

You could also try Intermittent Fasting, google it.

Lastly, you could cycle your carbs.

Eat only fibrous carbs for 3 days and then toss in some starchy ones for 3 days, rinse and repeat. Google "carb cycling"

Ditch the whey, chicken is much more satisfying especially if your cutting. Eating your calories will always fill you up more then drinking them, this is a simple choice on a cut.

Don't go cardio crazy, the diet battle is won and lost in the kitchen if you know what I mean. If you feel you need it, do some short duration high intensity cardio 1-3 times a week on non lifting days.

RinkerxX
09-06-2007, 10:35 PM
thanks a lot im gonna google them both, anyways where are you from in PA?

Con
09-07-2007, 11:28 AM
You don't want to eat a lot of most kinds of fruit, fruits are high in natural sugar and sugar = carbs.

Just nitpicking here, but what fruits are you talking about, and how many peices are you talking about?

If you need to drop a good bit of fat then try PSMF. Its a diet by Lyle Mcdonald

You could also try Intermittent Fasting, google it.

Lastly, you could cycle your carbs.

Recommending either of those approaches, when he doesnt know the first thing about general nutrition seems a bit foolish.

PSMF is an extreme approach, and IF is another, which includes PSMF style eating.

Cycling your carbs can be good, but its not going to make any difference unless his overall plan is not good.

RinkerxX
09-07-2007, 12:04 PM
So should I use the 1.5 protien thing for every lb of lean? or what? everyone is telling me different things. A diet would help me, I think I know what to eat.. Chicken.. Fish.. Veggies. Im just not sure HOW much to eat on days I lift and how much to eat on days I dont lift and carbs I need to take in.

RinkerxX
09-07-2007, 12:12 PM
All I know to eat is when I was on the zone diet which was like 40% carbs 40% protien and 30% fat

Built
09-07-2007, 12:28 PM
I'm all about the high-fiber foods. Talking strictly carbs, proteins, and fats, you can eat twice as many grams of just carbs or proteins as you can fats, for about the same caloric value.

Getting too much fat/protein and not enough carbs isn't ideal for your body's metabolic processes - it's a lot of extra wear and tear on your liver to convert proteins into the energy your body needs to function.

Care to explain what you mean by "too much" fat/protein and "not enough" carbs, and which metabolic processes you're referring to?

RinkerxX
09-07-2007, 12:47 PM
Yea I don't understand that to much either..

Con
09-07-2007, 01:47 PM
I told you what I think you should do, but I also know you probably wont follow that advice, So I wont kid myself.

If you are not understanding things, and are getting conflicting viewpoints, then YOU need to do some reserach. Hell a lot of that is already done and you just need to read...the stickies!

RinkerxX
09-07-2007, 01:52 PM
I am going to take your Advice no ones advice goes un-used. I don't mind reading the stickies I have read 3/4 of them. Like I said im just trying to find all the information I can from many different people.