PDA

View Full Version : Squat vids from today

Detard
09-05-2007, 08:20 PM
Today was ME squat day and last week I missed 320 by just abit when I was tight from football and running but this week I was fresh. Missed 325 the first time because I gave up on it, but grinded it out the second time. Please give me tips on my form or any advice/encouragement. Thanks guys.

Squat 305
fdc14gVpIQ8

Squat 325-miss
hJSsOpdN8Iw

Squat 325 - yeeeeee really happy about this
8I2TJB0KhL4

Keith
09-05-2007, 08:24 PM
Sick bro! Your bar placement looks a little high but your form is still decent.

Can I train at your gym sometime?? There's something about it, I think it's the lighting, but it looks awesome. I'll let you train at mine :).

Sensei
09-05-2007, 08:28 PM
Looks good to me! Nice job!

Detard
09-05-2007, 08:33 PM
Sick bro! Your bar placement looks a little high but your form is still decent.

Can I train at your gym sometime?? There's something about it, I think it's the lighting, but it looks awesome. I'll let you train at mine :).

I actually have the bar resting on the "shelf" or what feels like the shelf and dont think I could go any lower but i'll give it a try. The video makes it look more intense than it is. For some reason the video makes it look darker and more hardcore.

Looks good to me! Nice job!

That brought a smile to my face coming from the squat master :D:D:D:D:D. Thanks!

Chris Rodgers
09-05-2007, 08:33 PM
Yea, way to come back and get it the second time. My only suggestion is get some damn training partners. :)

Detard
09-05-2007, 08:36 PM
Thanks Chris. Unfortunately theres not many guys around my area that lift. Occasionally i'll train with RedSpikeyThing and Sidior and Bodybuilderam from the site. All my buddies from school that lift just **** around the whole time and do a million sets of curls.

Keith
09-05-2007, 08:38 PM
I actually have the bar resting on the "shelf" or what feels like the shelf and dont think I could go any lower but i'll give it a try.

'Shelf'? That's a new one. What is that? It looks as if it's sitting on your traps. Your stance is quite wide and usually when your stance is wide, the bar placement is a little lower, resting on your rear delts. Not a serious issue, though.

Chubrock
09-05-2007, 08:40 PM
I have to agree with Keith. Bring that bar down haha.

Detard
09-05-2007, 08:49 PM
Heres 2 quick pics of where i'm holding the bar. Should I try it lower?

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/6926/p9050002zo5.jpg

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/7339/p9050003cf1.jpg

Chubrock
09-05-2007, 08:52 PM
You could bring it lower. Try relaxing your traps and bringing your elbows up under the bar some.

Sensei
09-05-2007, 08:58 PM
Your bar positioning looks pretty good.

That brought a smile to my face coming from the squat master :D:D:D:D:D. Thanks!Geez, don't say that! I'm flattered, but I have yet to win a squat contest here at WBB... After talking w. Mark Rippetoe last night, I am very, very humbled (happily humbled, mind you).

Keith
09-05-2007, 09:00 PM
You could bring it lower. Try relaxing your traps and bringing your elbows up under the bar some.

:withstupi

Not even much lower than that. It looked in the video like it was a lot higher. But yeah, as you lower then bar, bring your elbows up even higher. I still keep my traps and everything else tight, though.

Chubrock
09-05-2007, 09:06 PM
:withstupi

But yeah, as you lower then bar, bring your elbows up even higher.

I disagree. Bringing the elbows high caused my chest to collapse which lead to me leaning over far too much. By relaxing the traps and bringing my elbows under the bar, almost as if I were trying to point straight down with them, I was able to stay upright much more easily.

Detard
09-05-2007, 09:09 PM
I'll try out some different bar positions next DE day to see if anything feels better/worse..etc. Thanks for the advice so far guys.

Keith
09-05-2007, 09:26 PM
I disagree. Bringing the elbows high caused my chest to collapse which lead to me leaning over far too much. By relaxing the traps and bringing my elbows under the bar, almost as if I were trying to point straight down with them, I was able to stay upright much more easily.

Yes, for a lot of people bringing the elbows TOO high can cause them to lose form. But the reason why I suggested this, is if you bring the bar any lower, depending on your sweet spot, the bar can slide right down off your rear delts. So, in order to prevent this from happening, bring your elbows even higher up, but obviously still keeping a tight arch and still keeping your chest out and high. I didn't mean to the degree where you would break down with form.

Keith
09-05-2007, 09:28 PM
I'll try out some different bar positions next DE day to see if anything feels better/worse..etc. Thanks for the advice so far guys.

Your bar placement looked fine in those pics, like I said, it looked a lot lower in your video. If you were to lower it, I wouldn't do it by much.

Chubrock
09-05-2007, 09:29 PM
I actually found that it was easier to support the weight with the elbows pulled under. It was also a lot better on my wrists.

Keith
09-05-2007, 09:36 PM
Yeah, I'll agree with the fact that it's easier on the wrists. When I use a narrow stance, I'll crank my elbows right under as far as they go, that definately keeps me more upright. With a powerlifting stance though, a use a lower bar placement and for me at least, I have to bring my elbows back so it doesn't slide off. I think as long as this doesn't happen, you should have your elbows as far forward as you can to help with posture.

Sensei
09-06-2007, 06:07 AM
I disagree. Bringing the elbows high caused my chest to collapse which lead to me leaning over far too much. By relaxing the traps and bringing my elbows under the bar, almost as if I were trying to point straight down with them, I was able to stay upright much more easily.I agree. I actually typed and then erased something about this, but if you are keeping the upper back as tight as possible, you shouldn't be internally rotating the shoulders. With a low bar position, you want to stick your chest out as much as possible, head shoved back, upper back flexed, and shoulders externally rotated (elbows pointing downward).

There really shouldn't be a slippage issue unless you lose tightness in the upper back (or unless the bar is slippery or bent, of course). edit: or unless you just can't get into proper position from the beginning in which case you should work on it or go high-bar.

Stumprrp
09-06-2007, 08:30 AM
how about instead of telling him how to squat let him do what is comfortable for him!

nice job dan

Keith
09-06-2007, 08:48 AM
how about instead of telling him how to squat let him do what is comfortable for him!

nice job dan

They were simply suggestions. Not telling him how to squat.

RedSpikeyThing
09-06-2007, 08:50 AM
Sweet **** Dan! I'm hitting ME lower today and I'll see if I can match it :evillaugh

EDIT: matched ya :moon:

After talking w. Mark Rippetoe last night, I am very, very humbled (happily humbled, mind you).
uh yeah I would be too lol

Sensei
09-06-2007, 10:10 AM

nice job dan
Most of us appreciate feedback Stump (at least I do) even if we don't agree with it...

Chubrock
09-06-2007, 11:22 AM

nice job dan

Tisk Tisk Stumpy.

Detard
09-06-2007, 02:55 PM
I do appreciate the comments and suggestions. Like I said i'll give what you guys said a try next DE day.

Thanks stump and Bryan.

Sidior
09-06-2007, 04:56 PM
Real strong squatting dan.

Stumprrp
09-06-2007, 09:51 PM
not trying to sound like a prick at all just reading all the crap about bar positioning made me think "let him do it his way"

RhodeHouse
09-09-2007, 07:03 PM
1. Squeeze traps together
2. Carry bar lower
3. Starting position - you should be leaning forward a little more. This will keep the bar from sliding off your back
4. Elbows under the bar
5. Hands a little wider
6. You could sit back a little more at the star, but not bad

With the bar a little lower on your back, you'll be able to keep your chest higher in the hole. Keep working on it, Bro. Looking good

Bako Lifter
09-09-2007, 07:05 PM
1. Squeeze traps together
3. Starting position - you should be leaning forward a little more. This will keep the bar from sliding off your back
5. Hands a little wider

This is a little confusing. . .

In my thread I was told to relax my traps, lean forward less, and put my hands closer. Are me and Detard just that different technique-wise?

MPB
09-09-2007, 07:21 PM
I think one of sensei's squat rx video tells you to maintain your back tightness, I think that's what he is trying to say :confused:

Chubrock
09-09-2007, 08:04 PM
This is a little confusing. . .

In my thread I was told to relax my traps, lean forward less, and put my hands closer. Are me and Detard just that different technique-wise?

I mentioned relaxing the traps. I should've clarified what I meant. I didn't mean to completely relax the traps. Some people squeeze their upper back together and hunch up their shoulders. They draw the shoulders upward and this usually carries the traps upward. By "relaxing" the traps, I should've clarified that I meant for you not to hunch them up high. By squeezing your traps but letting your shoulders relax downward, you can keep yourself from leaning over too much.

Leeman
09-09-2007, 08:28 PM
Relax your traps, lower the bar as much as posible on your back, bring your legs in a little and push your knees out more.

Get your self a squating gut for leverage and get on a box for sets of 3-7 to pack some mass on your posterior chain. The box dosent have to be super low just paralel its realy about getting those muscles stronger and teaching you the basic mechanics of squating than it is to duplicate a regular squat.

When you squat have a brief warm up and one all out set of 3-7 start off with a 3-5rep max and try to put 1-2 reps on it every workout by doing breathing squats and realy fighting through them.

Other than squating I think the best two things to improve your powerlifting squat is goodmornings and leg press with your legs as high up and as wide as posible for a couple sets of 6-10 reps, they realy destroys your hamstrings.

....just thought I would throw that out there

EDIT:

Just advice, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Leeman
09-09-2007, 08:32 PM

Yeah, I also think it helps you use your hamstrings better, and when I said relax your traps, I mean dont shrug them up, it puts the bar up higher and takes away from your leverage.

:D

RhodeHouse
09-09-2007, 09:56 PM
Leeman - I disagree with the box. Box squats won't build muscle because you break up the time under tension. And, your box squat should be identical to your free squat. If it's not, all you're doing is teaching yourself how to squat wrong.

Bako - your form is deifferent than Detard's. Your hips shot right up out of the hole.