PDA

View Full Version : Carb cycling vs good ole calorie counting

WBBIRL
09-05-2007, 09:09 PM
What I'm asking basically is simple.

I'm fat, like if you could be a champion of fat people then I'd be one.

I'm cutting, slowly but surely. I've lost from 320 down to 265 but need to drop another 50 pounds or so.

My calorie range is easy to control, my macros well.. not so easy.

Is it really worth all the extra effort I'd have to make to cycle my carbs vs just keeping protein high and carbs as low as I can manage? Would it really make my cutting that much more effective?

I'm SO tired of being fat that no matter how long it takes or how inefficient I am in doing so that I'll get there. But why work harder when you can work smarter.

ray34iyf
09-05-2007, 09:27 PM
Like I said before, I think that a PSMF would be right up your alley. Seriously man, if you want to jumpstart your fat loss, give that a look.

Keith
09-05-2007, 09:30 PM
Like I said before, I think that a PSMF would be right up your alley. Seriously man, if you want to jumpstart your fat loss, give that a look.

+1 for PSMF. Or UD 2.0 but I think PSMF would suit your needs better.

Built
09-05-2007, 09:32 PM
The biggest advantage I've seen from carb cycling is it makes it easier to control my appetite if I only eat starches on my lifting days.

In their absence, it's easier to undereat, so I go a lot lower on the low-carb days so I can enjoy going a lot higher on my workout days and still run a deficit overall.

It all comes down to comfort. If you can stick with a deficit, you'll drop.

ray34iyf
09-05-2007, 09:40 PM
Yeah, I would forget the UD 2.0 for now. No need to be a masachist when you don't need to be..but when you do get low enough, UD 2.0 is your best friend. Awesome diet so far. I've dropped atleast 2-3% BF in less than three weeks and strength is going up.

Darcy Tucker
09-06-2007, 12:37 AM
If you do a bunch of psmf cycles and cheat 20 % of the time you're still gonna be doing kick ass.

sharkall2003
09-06-2007, 06:37 AM
I've had wonderful results with low carbs, high protein and calorie counting. Actually, I know about where my maintenance is, but I don't even worry about it. I just take in as much protein as possible each day and call it a day. I think a lot of people go overboard with these things. Just be consistent. You can do all the fad diets, but changing them all the time may not always be the best thing.

Jordanbcool
09-06-2007, 06:45 AM
I agree with the PSMF idea. However, if you find its too hard to stick to then use the advice of builts.

Con
09-06-2007, 07:18 AM
The best plan, is the one thats not retarted and you can stick with the longest.

So no going to crazy extremes with macros(think VERY high carb, VERY low fat), a modest deficit, and somethign that fits your life.

Me - I dont eat until after 12 usually, some days not until 3 or 4, but im comfortable with it, and I adjust when need be.

ray34iyf
09-06-2007, 08:12 AM
If you don't want to go PSMF extreme, you could experiment with the IF Diet structure for a while and see what happens. Apparently, people who have used it have noticed that they need to eat more food to maintain weight as opposed to eating "normally". Although I still think you'd see great results with a 2 week PSMF.

Cirino83
09-06-2007, 08:26 AM
if your patient, then go Built's route. if your impatient like me, I'd look into a 3 week or so PSMF.

btw I like your attitude with the whole thing. hang in there man, your making awesome progress.

KingWilder
09-06-2007, 08:50 AM
If you don't want to go PSMF extreme, you could experiment with the IF Diet structure for a while and see what happens. Apparently, people who have used it have noticed that they need to eat more food to maintain weight as opposed to eating "normally". Although I still think you'd see great results with a 2 week PSMF.

it's true, for me at least

I have to eat way more to just maintain my weight on IF....gotta do a little experimenting with it on my bulk so I can actually gain weight, otherwise I'll just go back to normal overeating

dpdd
09-06-2007, 08:52 AM
Can someone explain more or give me a link about PSMF diet's. I've being looking around but cant find a decent explaination of it.

Unreal
09-06-2007, 09:50 AM
It is a book by Lyle McDonlad. Look for his website.

Cirino83
09-06-2007, 11:33 AM
Can someone explain more or give me a link about PSMF diet's. I've being looking around but cant find a decent explaination of it.

www.bodyrecomposition.com

Isaac Wilkins
09-06-2007, 11:42 AM
How long have you been dieting? If you've been dieting straight for months already then doing a PSMF for any length of time is one step out of ****ing ******ed.

Are you still dropping fat? Cool, then keep doing what you're doing. If you're mentally having a hard time controlling yourself, then carb-cycling might be either a fix or will blow you open. Try it for a week and see.

Unholy
09-06-2007, 11:53 AM
You just need to stop being a little bitch and stick to something.

Isaac Wilkins
09-06-2007, 11:59 AM
You just need to stop being a little bitch and stick to something.

That could certainly be the root of the problem.

ray34iyf
09-06-2007, 12:46 PM
Yeah man. Consistency. How bad do you want it? How bad do you want to be ripped and have girls all over you? Trust me, it feels damn good. For the first time in my life I actually have girls coming up to me and hitting on me. And considering I'm at a huge campus here, it's like heaven.

WBBIRL
09-06-2007, 02:22 PM
IF would fit my schedule pretty nicely actually. So I think I'm going to go with that.

I'll only eat in the range of 4 P.M to 10 P.M. and the other 18 hours of the day the only things I'll be consuming would be water.

I guess the best way to figure this out is through trial and error.

ray34iyf
09-06-2007, 02:43 PM
When you get low enough..<15%, seriously take a look at UD2. I've lost ALOT of fat and gained a tad of muscle in only 3 weeks.

BFGUITAR
09-06-2007, 05:04 PM
Do a PSMF!!!

I dropped quite a bit of fat in 1.5 weeks and I think a person in your situation can really really benefit. PSMF is geared toward fatties.

WBBIRL
09-06-2007, 10:19 PM
I want to minimize loose skin as much as possible. I don't want to crash diet down 50 pounds in 3 months. It'll be winter for most of this cut, I won't be walking around with my shirt off and I'll be wearing heavier clothes.... so its not like I have to get lean over night. I've also been what I would call fat for about 6 years now, before I was chubby but for the last 6 years I've just been FAT. I can spend the better part of a year taking care of this if thats what it takes.

Honestly if my parents would even meet me halfway on altering the types of foods they purchase, PSMF would be the way I'd go. I simply cannot eat over 300g of protein every day, I just can't. It seems everything they buy is processed and loaded with carbs and sugars and fats and little protein.

My dads always been lean (er) but he's now becoming very skinny fat and my mom always was overweight but it can't help that she drinks a gallon of iced tea per day and eats mostly fried foods or take out. So the selection of food they buy really is having a global effect on the household.

Its hard on me to shop for myself, because I have a lot of other financial responsibilities such as my education any my transportation (mainly to the site of education). But I want it bad enough, I'll find a way.

sharkall2003
09-07-2007, 08:26 AM
I want to minimize loose skin as much as possible. I don't want to crash diet down 50 pounds in 3 months. It'll be winter for most of this cut, I won't be walking around with my shirt off and I'll be wearing heavier clothes.... so its not like I have to get lean over night. I've also been what I would call fat for about 6 years now, before I was chubby but for the last 6 years I've just been FAT. I can spend the better part of a year taking care of this if thats what it takes.

Honestly if my parents would even meet me halfway on altering the types of foods they purchase, PSMF would be the way I'd go. I simply cannot eat over 300g of protein every day, I just can't. It seems everything they buy is processed and loaded with carbs and sugars and fats and little protein.

My dads always been lean (er) but he's now becoming very skinny fat and my mom always was overweight but it can't help that she drinks a gallon of iced tea per day and eats mostly fried foods or take out. So the selection of food they buy really is having a global effect on the household.

Its hard on me to shop for myself, because I have a lot of other financial responsibilities such as my education any my transportation (mainly to the site of education). But I want it bad enough, I'll find a way.

I know you might be struggling financially, but if you can put aside 20 dollars a week for your nutritional needs you can make this work. Two chicken breasts, two cans of tuna, 2-3 scoops of whey and you're already at 200 grams of protein. Do what you have to do to get where you gotta go. Good luck.

monkeyarms
09-07-2007, 09:19 AM
I want to minimize loose skin as much as possible. I don't want to crash diet down 50 pounds in 3 months.

I'm definitely not trying to talk you into rushing your weight loss, but I lost 50lbs in just under 3 months and I've never had any loose skin whatsoever....that's me though at 30yrs old...I'm sure it's different for different people at different ages (I think I've read that the older you are the more likely you are to get it).

ray34iyf
09-07-2007, 11:09 AM
Yeah man. Tuna and the cheapest chicken breasts you can find are the way to go. If you really want to make it work, you can.

HP666
09-07-2007, 11:28 AM
psmf???

BFGUITAR
09-07-2007, 01:43 PM
psmf???

Protein Sparing Modified Fast

The idea is to only eat protein (enough of it) and some fat supplements over a period of time. When doing this, your able to shed off pounds of fat easily without much muscle loss. This phenomenon really only occurs in fatter individuals and is not so effective for leaner ones (under 15% bodyfat).

And you dont really need 300 grams of protein... as long as you get your 1 gram per pound of LBM your fine. Thats what I did and my PSMF went by easily.