PDA

View Full Version : Making rice taste nice!

lgarvey
09-06-2007, 10:46 AM
Hi Folks,

This is my first post.

Does anyone know how best to prepare and flavour rice?

Also, what types of rice are suitable?

L

LouPac
09-07-2007, 03:47 AM
Hi Folks,

This is my first post.

L

Cook rice, then toss in a wok with egg, ginger, fresh garlic, and a bit of light soy sauce.

Unreal
09-07-2007, 07:08 AM
Just google rice recipes, and pick out ones you like. www.foodtv.com is also good for recipes.

getfit
09-07-2007, 07:36 AM
add a vegetable consume and simmer the rice in that. Gives it a little extra flavour

RedSpikeyThing
09-07-2007, 07:57 AM
cooking the rice in any sort of vegetable stock is a good place to start. You could also do pilaf:

sautee a small onion with garlic over low heat in a sauce pan. When onion goes clear, add rice add sautee until rice goes clear. Add in chicken stock and cook according to package directions.

lgarvey
09-07-2007, 08:19 AM
Thanks guys lots of GREAT advice!

I'm currently cooking some rice in my new rice cooker (grins) with bay leaves, vegetable stock and some garlic.

L

RedSpikeyThing
09-07-2007, 08:29 AM
I'm currently cooking some rice in my new rice cooker (grins) with bay leaves, vegetable stock and some garlic.
sounds good :)

marf999
09-11-2007, 01:34 AM
Hi Folks,

This is my first post.

L

I have the same problem, but i've flavoured it with Cheese! As soon as the rice comes out it's really hot, I pour out a layer of rice, drop on a load of grated cheese, pour another layer of rice, more grated cheese over that, e.t.c. that way it gets mixed in well. Cheese melts instantly.

I often add tuna mayo and corn.

The standard cheddar cheese is good, has alot of fat and flavour.. Gouda cheese is good too. But my bowels don't react well to all the fat, so I have to use low fat cheese.

I will try vegetable stock

murray421
09-11-2007, 05:01 AM
Hi Folks,

This is my first post.

L
I have the same situation, I don't know how t prepare rice

lgarvey
09-11-2007, 05:13 AM
I've had some good success with... an inexpensive rice cooker, some vegetable stock, a few frozen peas & sweetcorn, some by leaves, and some dried garlic granuals.

The rice cooker really makes easy work of the job. You simply put in the ingredients, the desired amount of water, and switch it on until it has done. There's no timer, but it switches off after the rice is cooked.

There are lots of stock cubes (not sure if you call them that in the US) available ... chicken, lamb, etc. even some rice stock cubes you may be able to get your hands on. Though my concern with these is that they contain monosodium glutamate. Dr Mercola's site has a new video post entitled 'the shocking dangers of MSG'

I'm going to try some of the other cool ideas people have given on earlier on in this thread too.

L

TonyCap
09-11-2007, 09:49 PM
Hi Folks,

This is my first post.

L

Buy basmati rice... long grain... tastes really great!

marf999
09-12-2007, 05:06 AM
rice cooker is interesting.

i sometimes have 'wholegrain brown rice' i think that's healthiest. But wholegrain brown rice can take even 40 minutes !!

I add olive oil or avocado oil, because it's healthy. It may not make it taste nicer, but it doesn't detract ruin any good taste!

reheating the rice won't work so well if you want to add melted cheese in..
and rice doesn't taste nice after being in the fridge if it has melted cheese in.

I always do wholegrain brown rice with cheese, and tuna mayo and corn.

though maybe white rice is tastier and more practical.
my mum does that sometimes. No melted cheese. It stores in the fridge. She puts chopped up bits of tomatoe in there. And a few tablespoons of olive oil - it's a big bowel of rice. I think the olive oil may help it store too.
She also adds a pinch or a few pinches of salt while the rice is boiling. But I doubt that makes much difference

Flabs
09-18-2007, 02:08 AM
I normally just grate up a couple cloves of garlic and add a bit of olive oil to the rice while it's cooking.