PDA

View Full Version : powerlifting routine

samj
09-07-2007, 11:22 AM
my main goal atm is power and speed.
i need a new routine the one i have now is good but been on it for about 2months now and need a new one for some real power need help please!

RhodeHouse
09-07-2007, 11:51 AM
First of all, you've been on it for 2 months? Come back after at least a year of training. There's no reason to change because you feel like it. You have to allow your plan to work. 2 months is not even giving it a try.

Do some research on your goals before you just ask for info. It's all here. Don't be lazy about looking for it.

I realize this isn't what you want to hear and I'm sure others will give you info. You need to THINK. Don't just follow a plan blindly. If you just look for someone else's plan, you'll never make any real progress. You need to lift, make mistakes, and think.

samj
09-07-2007, 11:56 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday:
TBAR row 5x5
hammer strength row 3-4x6
bb bench press 5x5
incline db press 3x6-8
Abs

Tuesday:
Squat 5x5
SLDL 3x8-10
leg press 3x6
bicep curl 2x6

Wednesday:

Thursday:
Chinup 2x6
Pullup 2x6
Standing barbell press 5x5
Seated dumbbell press 3x6

Friday:
Deadlift 5x5
Lunges 3x6
Dip 5x5
clise grip bench 5x5

samj
09-07-2007, 12:12 PM
That was the routine i have hit a plateau(sp)
after a thought i love the excersizes(sp)
so i was thinking this...

Monday:
TBAR row 5 x 8,7,6,5,4 putting the weight up
hammer strength row 3-4x6
bb bench press 7 x 7,6,5,4,3,2,1 putting the weight up
incline db press 3x6-8
Abs

Tuesday:
Squat 7 x 7,6,5,4,3,2,1
SLDL 3x6-8
leg press 3x6
bicep curl 2x6

Wednesday:

Thursday:
Chinup 2x6
Pullup 2x6
Standing barbell press 6 x 7,6,5,4,3,2
Seated dumbbell press 3x6

Friday:
Deadlift 6 x 6,5,4,3,2,1
Lunges 3x6
Dip 3 x 6
close grip bench 6 x 7,6,5,4,3,2
cable press down 3 x 6

i would like to do a week of lockouts but at my gym theres no powerrack:bang: floor presses with the big plates maybe

Chubrock
09-07-2007, 01:56 PM
Did you listen to anything Rhodes said?

Guido
09-07-2007, 02:24 PM
Here, read THIS:

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1701042&cr=

samj
09-08-2007, 03:25 AM
good read guido thanks

samj
09-08-2007, 03:26 AM
currently doing 4days bulking slowly now then will go on a 3day full body 4 days rest for the CNS

jtteg_x
09-08-2007, 04:14 AM
bill starr's routine is a real good and simple one.

samj
09-08-2007, 04:16 AM
i have been doing 5x5 and want to go down in reps abit

Paul Stagg
09-08-2007, 10:33 AM
Look into Starr and Rippetoe. Start at the novice level, which will look something like this:

A
Squat
OH Press
Power clean

B
Squat
Bench
Deadlift

Alternate the two, train 3 non consecutive days per week (mon, weds, fri)

Everything is 3 sets of 5 to start, except deadlifts, which are less sets (1). Start out bleow your capability, and add small increments every workout.

When you stop progressing, look into changing something, typically NOT changing lifts much, but changing loading and volume.

If you don't like cleans, do rows there, and add chins on the other day. At the end of each workout, if you really want, add some assistance stuff - abs, posterior chain, etc.

The routine doesn't have to be this, exactly, but something close to it.

samj
09-09-2007, 01:50 PM
monday: bench press
TBAR row
dumbell press
hammer strength row

Tuesday: deadlift
box squat
leg press

Thursday: OH press
pullup
OH dumbbell press
chinup

FRiDAY : cg bench
squat
dip
sumo deadlift
leg curl

?????

Chubrock
09-09-2007, 04:05 PM
Pull your head out of your ass and listen to some of the suggestions.

RhodeHouse
09-09-2007, 06:16 PM
What Chub said. If you're not gonna listen, stop asking questions. Most likely, you're not gonna hear what you want to hear. Do whatever you want.

samj
09-12-2007, 10:29 AM
so whats wrong with the routine i posted?

WillKuenzel
09-12-2007, 11:08 AM
It's too much pressing. You like those exercises do this:

monday: bench press
TBAR row
dumbell press
hammer strength row

Tuesday: deadlift
box squat
leg press

Thursday: CG bench
pullup
OH dumbbell press
chinup

FRiDAY :squat
sumo deadlift
leg curl

Basically the same but with a few changes. Do that. Stick to it for a year or more.

samj
09-12-2007, 12:47 PM
looks good will shoulders get hit enough?

WillKuenzel
09-12-2007, 12:50 PM
In powerlifting, shoulders generally aren't a concern. You are asking powerlifters for a routine. At your age and strength, get stronger in the 3 lifts. If at some point way down the road you find that your shoulders are holding you back then fine do more shoulder work, for the time being, I do almost no shoulder work and my bench is going up.

If you're benching overhead, something is wrong.

RhodeHouse
09-12-2007, 01:15 PM
i would focus on the shoulders, Homeyield. i did the same as you and my bench made grewat progress. Then, and still, my shoulder just got weak and I'm dragging ass to get them up to par. 1x per week of OHP is fine, IMO

redFury
09-12-2007, 01:29 PM
^^ +1

As a powerlifter, you really can't neglect your shoulders. I've seen many pl'ers forget about them and find that their bench progress isn't as good as it could be.

TommyBoy
09-12-2007, 01:49 PM
As a powerlifter, you really can't neglect your shoulders. I've seen many pl'ers forget about them and find that their bench progress isn't as good as it could be.
I agree partially. I personally, don't see the need for overhead pressing; if you're doing bench twice a week, you're hitting the front deltoid enough. I am however a firm believer in hitting the side and rear deltoids real hard.

Also, when rehabbing my shoulder injury, I did a lot of front raises and noticed my raw bench got stronger. So yes, shoulder work is important.

RedSpikeyThing
09-12-2007, 02:00 PM
I was under the impression that shoulders are big in raw benching and nowhere near as important in equipped lifting.

chris mason
09-12-2007, 02:56 PM
Strong shoulders are important for all benching. That said, any form of pressing strongly involves the delts.

Chris

WillKuenzel
09-12-2007, 04:15 PM
I agree partially. I personally, don't see the need for overhead pressing; if you're doing bench twice a week, you're hitting the front deltoid enough. I am however a firm believer in hitting the side and rear deltoids real hard.

Also, when rehabbing my shoulder injury, I did a lot of front raises and noticed my raw bench got stronger. So yes, shoulder work is important.I agree. I guess I meant more directly that overhead pressing was less necessary. I firmly believe that the rear delts are often times neglected or under-utilized. I've made great strides in doing more rear delt work and have seen my bench improve tremendously.

I've never gotten a whole lot of carry over from shoulder work but mainly because I'm still getting stronger in the bench. There may come a time when it's needed more but I think that it's a bit down the road.

Isaac Wilkins
09-12-2007, 04:36 PM
I agree. I guess I meant more directly that overhead pressing was less necessary. I firmly believe that the rear delts are often times neglected or under-utilized. I've made great strides in doing more rear delt work and have seen my bench improve tremendously.

I've never gotten a whole lot of carry over from shoulder work but mainly because I'm still getting stronger in the bench. There may come a time when it's needed more but I think that it's a bit down the road.

Also remember, Will, that your delts are disproportionately strong. They're still stronger than some of the other pressing parts.

I, on the other hand, am still lacking in overall delt strength. It's all about weakness training.

Get Strong
10-01-2007, 09:33 PM

Also, when rehabbing my shoulder injury, I did a lot of front raises and noticed my raw bench got stronger. So yes, shoulder work is important.

Yes if your benching twice, dont hit your shoulders with heavy overhead presses.....................besides your delts are small muscles your better off hittin em with reps and isolation.