PDA

View Full Version : Tips on getting started in powerlifting?

KoolDrew
09-08-2007, 07:21 AM
For a while now I've really enjoyed pushing a lot of weight would love to compete, but I really have no idea where to start. Looking at powerliftingwatch.com there's an APF meet in December around where I live. I also noticed on the entry form it says "Equipment must meet APF specifications. One piece lifting suit must be worn." I was planning on entering the deadlift competition, but I don't have a suit, have never trained in a suit (or a bench shirt) and have no idea how they judge good form for a deadlift in order for it to pass. I may also enter the bench competition, but my bench kind of sucks, making me not really want to.

I guess my main question is, how should I train to get ready for a meet? Any other tips for somebody wanting to get into powerlifting that doesn't really have any idea where to start?

Adam
09-08-2007, 11:16 AM
If you can, if time permits, find another meet that you can spectate, doesn't have to be the same fed. like apf, just any other one so you can know what to expect.
Meet up with other competitive lifters in your area or travel if need be. Even meeting up once every few weeks will help you tremendously.
If you want to compete you NEED at least a singlet. Just a wrestling singlet. If you need links for them just let us know.
IMO if you have never trained with gear do your first meet in just the singlet. Much less 'mental stress' knowing that you don't have to worry if your opeing bench/squat can touch your chest/ break parellel.
Post where you are located, state/province/city. We can help you out better.
A meet in December will give you sufficient time to learn the basics of competing and learn the rules as far as form on lifts.

jtteg_x
09-08-2007, 12:23 PM
heres a great and highly recommened read: http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=293

KoolDrew
09-08-2007, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the reply. I like in Broadalbin, NY.

Also, could you give me a link to a singlet? I found this one:
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=205&pid=901

However, it says for bench. Are ones for bench, deadlift and squat really any different? Would I need anything else besides a singlet? What about a belt? I also think going to an event and just watching before actually going to one to compete would be good for me.

RhodeHouse
09-08-2007, 03:31 PM
How far is your town from Milford, CT? Also, look into Iron Island Gym in Long Island, NY. Also, East End Barbell in NY, I think.

Chris Rodgers
09-08-2007, 03:44 PM
I'm assuming that you live Upstate? What city/cities are you close too?

KoolDrew
09-08-2007, 04:00 PM
How far is your town from Milford, CT? Also, look into Iron Island Gym in Long Island, NY. Also, East End Barbell in NY, I think.

Milford, CT is a little over 3 and a half hours according to google maps.

I'm assuming that you live Upstate? What city/cities are you close too?

Yup. I live about an hour from Albany and I go down there for college anyway so I think I'm going to check out Albany Strength, which I've heard is a good gym. It's only 15 minutes from my college too.

RhodeHouse
09-08-2007, 08:13 PM
Call Bill Crawford at Adirondack Barbell in Glens Falls. His number is on the Metal Militia website. metalmilitia.net If you really want to get into PLing, you'll go to them.

Ryano
09-09-2007, 08:49 AM
Train all your lifts as if you were on the meet platform. Make sure you read the lifting rules for the fed you are lifting in. By all means, go to a Metal Militia bench seminar, either by Burns or Crawford. It will be well worth your money. If you plan on lifting in gear, get in it as soon as possible and train in it as much as possible. Good luck.

Chris Rodgers
09-09-2007, 01:46 PM
Milford, CT is a little over 3 and a half hours according to google maps.

Yup. I live about an hour from Albany and I go down there for college anyway so I think I'm going to check out Albany Strength, which I've heard is a good gym. It's only 15 minutes from my college too.

Iron Asylum Gym is about 30 minutes west of Albany. You should look them up. I'm going there for a meet in October. Rhodes should be there as well. If you have the chance, you should definitely go to that meet.

KoolDrew
09-09-2007, 02:19 PM
Call Bill Crawford at Adirondack Barbell in Glens Falls. His number is on the Metal Militia website. metalmilitia.net If you really want to get into PLing, you'll go to them.

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely try to contact him. I wouldn't be able to make it up to Glens Falls really more than once a week though. I travel to Albany Monday through Friday for college, which is an hour in the opposite direction. On a Saturday or something, I could likely make it up to Gelns Falls though.

I actually also noticed the Can-Am Championships in lake George is next Saturday. I think I'm going to try to go to that. Excuse my ignorance, but is there anything I really need to just spectate an event, such as any type of membership or anything? Or is it open to pretty much anybody who wants to simple watch? Is there any type of fee for simply spectating an event?

Iron Asylum Gym is about 30 minutes west of Albany. You should look them up. I'm going there for a meet in October. Rhodes should be there as well. If you have the chance, you should definitely go to that meet.

Located in Tribes Hill? That's only like 20 minutes from where I live and like 10 minutes from Amsterdam, which I travel to all the time anyway! :D

Chris Rodgers
09-09-2007, 02:33 PM
Located in Tribes Hill? That's only like 20 minutes from where I live and like 10 minutes from Amsterdam, which I travel to all the time anyway! :D

That's them. Sat, Oct. 13th is the meet. You should definitely go to it.

KoolDrew
09-09-2007, 02:48 PM
That's them. Sat, Oct. 13th is the meet. You should definitely go to it.

I will definitely be there. I had no idea there was a decent gym so close to where I lived. I thought the closest ones were Adirondack Barbell and Albany Strength, which are both an hour away.

daved931
09-10-2007, 08:03 AM
Going and watching a meet is a good idea. Most of the federations have their rule books right on the Internet.

I bought a singlet from Inzer. I think it was less than $30. Always order one size larger than you think you'll need. Otherwise people will be able to guess your religion if you catch my drift.

A good beginner shirt is a Rage X. Expect to add about 45 pounds once you can use it well. My training partner and I usually start shirt work about four weeks before a competition. Typically we'll work up to 1RM with a four board, then the next week with a three board, etc. Finally, you want to do your opener a week before the meet and then walk away from the gym. No lifting for a week before the meet. Eat, sleep and do a little cardio.

Ryano
09-10-2007, 08:26 AM
A good beginner shirt is a Rage X. Expect to add about 45 pounds once you can use it well. My training partner and I usually start shirt work about four weeks before a competition. Typically we'll work up to 1RM with a four board, then the next week with a three board, etc. Finally, you want to do your opener a week before the meet and then walk away from the gym. No lifting for a week before the meet. Eat, sleep and do a little cardio.

I think that is good advice, but I would recommend a TITAN F6 to start with. They have a better warranty than Inzer. Also, you can transition to a Katana AS after learning the full ROM with the F6. A Katana is a much better shirt than the Rage X. Also, expect an ass chewing from the MM guys if you mention that you do shirted boardpresses. They will screw up your barpath/lockout so not recommended for new lifters.:nod:

daved931
09-10-2007, 01:15 PM
I think that is good advice, but I would recommend a TITAN F6 to start with. They have a better warranty than Inzer. Also, you can transition to a Katana AS after learning the full ROM with the F6. A Katana is a much better shirt than the Rage X. Also, expect an ass chewing from the MM guys if you mention that you do shirted boardpresses. They will screw up your barpath/lockout so not recommended for new lifters.:nod:

You're right, I should have specified that you should get some shirt-time in before you start doing shirted board presses.

I've never used the Titan F6 before. We seem to be sort of an "Inzer House" at the gym I go to. That's good to know about the warranty.

Ryano
09-10-2007, 02:18 PM
That's good to know about the warranty.

Dave, the Titan shirts have a 1 year warranty on blowouts and 1 1/2 years on runners. I think Inzer only warrants their shirts for 30 days. Also, the Katana is MUCH more shirt than a Rage or F6, but still qualifies as a single ply shirt. After training in a F6, the transition to a Katana would be easier.

With a loose F6, you don't need to work the shirt down with boards. It may not touch for several reps at first, but as you increase the weight you will simultaneously learn the proper groove, stretch the shirt, & get stronger. Learn the proper barpath/groove before you mess with any shirted boards. IMO.

daved931
09-10-2007, 02:28 PM
Dave, the Titan shirts have a 1 year warranty on blowouts and 1 1/2 years on runners. I think Inzer only warrants their shirts for 30 days. Also, the Katana is MUCH more shirt than a Rage or F6, but still qualifies as a single ply shirt. After training in a F6, the transition to a Katana would be easier.

With a loose F6, you don't need to work the shirt down with boards. It may not touch for several reps at first, but as you increase the weight you will simultaneously learn the proper groove, stretch the shirt, & get stronger. Learn the proper barpath/groove before you mess with any shirted boards. IMO.

Learn something new every day. :read: