PDA

View Full Version : Squat Critique

Bako Lifter
09-08-2007, 06:09 PM
How come my form sucks so bad? Lately my squat numbers have been climbing, but I need to do something about my form before it starts to get too heavy.

You can see how I lean forward a lot and then my hips shoot up really fast so it's like a good morning. . . How do I go about fixing that? What are my weaknesses?

Here's the vid, it's 305 lbs.

veK3sFLrYG0

Detard
09-08-2007, 06:35 PM
I think you need to start working off a box. Looks like the gm'ing is due to not sitting back/upright enough. Make sure your fully clenching ur ass together and lock it out at the top aswell. I know it was light weight for you but make sure you fully stand up with it before racking.

CleverName
09-08-2007, 06:51 PM
Definitely not keeping the back arched enough while going up. Keep your chest outward. It looks like you're basically in a GM position while going up. Bringing your arms closer into your shoulders might help too.

RhodeHouse
09-08-2007, 08:58 PM
Set-up and descent are good. From that angle, it looks like you need to keep a tighter upper back arch and drive your head up and elbows forward when you come up out of the hole.

Your hips are weak. The power squat will fix that. Leg presses are useless in your case. All they do is teach you to push with your legs and not your hips.

Sorry about the sex reference, but visualize Jenna Jameson bent over in front of you. If you were standing behind her... Think about doing that with your hips when you drive out of the hole.

Sensei
09-08-2007, 09:08 PM
I agree with all the suggestions. The weight looked pretty easy for you, but you need to learn to drive more with the hips - think "HEAD UP, HEAD UP, HEAD UP!" or chest-up as you drive out of the hole.

I would work on your set-up too. It doesn't look like you are tight at all when you step out of the j-hooks. Like RhodeHouse said, you need to drive your elbows down/forward - probably moving your grip in a little will help w. upper back tightness too.

motoko013
09-09-2007, 06:33 AM
what do you mean by elbows down/forward?

Chubrock
09-09-2007, 08:56 AM
I commented on this in another journal. I used to have a terrible time GMing my squat up until I went and trained with a PLer down in SC.There was a couple of big things he relayed to me that I'll pass on to you:

1. Setting the bar low and bring my elbows up under the bar. Previously I had been squatting with my elbows high, because I was attempting to create a shelf. With the elbows set high, the chest tends to cave over, leaving the bar out in front. The only option you have from there is to GM the squat. After setting the bar where you want, focus on drawing the elbows forward, as hard as you can. This will leave you much more upright.

2. Relax your traps. Once again I was pulling my traps back and up in an attempt to set the bar. As soon as I relaxed the traps and allowed my shoulders to drop I started staying more upright and found a much stronger starting position.

TommyBoy
09-09-2007, 11:28 AM
I think you need to start working off a box.
+1

Set-up and descent are good. From that angle, it looks like you need to keep a tighter upper back arch and drive your head up and elbows forward when you come up out of the hole.

Your hips are weak. The power squat will fix that. Leg presses are useless in your case. All they do is teach you to push with your legs and not your hips.

Sorry about the sex reference, but visualize Jenna Jameson bent over in front of you. If you were standing behind her... Think about doing that with your hips when you drive out of the hole.
+1

think "HEAD UP, HEAD UP, HEAD UP!" or chest-up as you drive out of the hole.

I would work on your set-up too. It doesn't look like you are tight at all when you step out of the j-hooks. Like RhodeHouse said, you need to drive your elbows down/forward - probably moving your grip in a little will help w. upper back tightness too.
+1

Bako Lifter
09-09-2007, 10:00 PM
Thanks everyone. I'll try and apply everybody's advice and post up another vid next week :thumbup:.

nhlfan
09-10-2007, 02:12 AM
have you tried with a narrower grip, or have you used wide?

daved931
09-10-2007, 07:44 AM
It looks to me as though you're a little bent over when you address the bar. I'd start by making sure you address the bar a little more upright.

Make sure you're looking up. I like to pick a spot on the ceiling, tip my head back a little and focus on that spot for the entire lift. That helps me to maintain my arch, which is what I think your main problem is. It looks like your arch almost colapses when you get to the bottom of your range of motion.

I'd recommend strengthening your lower back a little, working on your arch (try looking up and a point in front of you, but on the ceiling) and maybe doing some box squats.

Chubrock
09-10-2007, 08:41 AM
Make sure you're looking up. I like to pick a spot on the ceiling, tip my head back a little and focus on that spot for the entire lift. That helps me to maintain my arch, which is what I think your main problem is. It looks like your arch almost colapses when you get to the bottom of your range of motion.

I agree with bringing the head into the bar, but I disagree with tipping the head back and bringing the chin up.