PDA

View Full Version : My plan to get over my bench plateau

RedSpikeyThing
09-09-2007, 09:28 AM
Ok, I'll admit it. I hate bench press. Mostly because I can't move any weight on it. I want this to change.

I get stuck right on my chest. It's almost as if I had put way too much weight on the bar, but it's really 5 lbs over my max (currently 175, BTW). This, as well as the fact I can only millitary press 125 for a single, leads me to think my shoulders are pathetically weak. So here's my current plan:

DE Bench

Bench Press
8x3 of 60-70%. Paused reps, going for explosiveness off the chest.
2-3x5 This will be heavier than the last sets, but weight depends on how tired I am. I will not miss a rep during these sets.

Rows, of some sort
3x6-8. Keeping it lighter because the high volume bench work makes me tired.

Millitary press/push press
4x5 Keep it heavy.

I may do shoulder raises or additional tricep work, but my conditioning is not great right now.

ME Bench

Bench Press
3-5 RM. Maxing out regularly has got me nowehre, so I'm going to try higher rep stuff.

Incline DB or BB Press
3x6-8. This is lighter because I'm usually toast after ME work.

Rows, of some sort
3x5. My lats are usually ok after ME work, so these will go heavy.

This is my plan for the next month. If I don't make any progress I'll change it up. My alternates would be to include flat DB press or bottom up benching, neither of which I'm sure how to incorporate into Westside.

Any advice is welcome.

Detard
09-09-2007, 09:51 AM
Dude im coming next bench session and making sure you are pushing your bench.

daved931
09-09-2007, 10:22 AM
If you're getting stuck right on your chest and not making it to the transition point, I would recommend doing more DB presses and some pin lockouts in the squat rack with the pins set just above your chest.

Chubrock
09-09-2007, 10:35 AM
Getting stuck on/right off the chest tends to be a speed issue. It could also be indicative of weak shoulders.

RedSpikeyThing
09-09-2007, 10:47 AM
If you're getting stuck right on your chest and not making it to the transition point, I would recommend doing more DB presses and some pin lockouts in the squat rack with the pins set just above your chest.

Getting stuck on/right off the chest tends to be a speed issue. It could also be indicative of weak shoulders.

Sweet, these are what I was thinking.

RhodeHouse
09-09-2007, 11:42 AM
Your lats are weak as well. For every set of presses that you do, double up your row work. 10 sets of presses=20 sets of rows.

If you're only giving this a chance for a month, forget it. Don't waste your time. Give it AT LEAST 6 months. A month is nothing. Strength does not come overnight.

Also, if you want your bench to go up, here's the holy grail of secrets.

GAIN WEIGHT

RedSpikeyThing
09-09-2007, 11:57 AM
Your lats are weak as well. For every set of presses that you do, double up your row work. 10 sets of presses=20 sets of rows.

wow, never heard that before. I'll makes sure to do my lat work

If you're only giving this a chance for a month, forget it. Don't waste your time. Give it AT LEAST 6 months. A month is nothing. Strength does not come overnight.

Deal. Will give it much longer before changing up routines.

Also, if you want your bench to go up, here's the holy grail of secrets.

GAIN WEIGHT
This I knew. I like the size I'm at and I want to get every last ounce of strength out of my skinny frame before beeing up.

Uncle Fester
09-09-2007, 01:28 PM
Have you been benching every week for your ME movement? If so, you may need to switch it up for a few weeks. Do dumbbell presses, or incline bench work as your ME for 3 weeks or so, then go back to regular benching.

Detard
09-09-2007, 04:13 PM
I'll bring my boards next time and we can do some board presses. Do like rhodes said aswell and work on your lats.

RedSpikeyThing
09-09-2007, 04:16 PM
Have you been benching every week for your ME movement? If so, you may need to switch it up for a few weeks. Do dumbbell presses, or incline bench work as your ME for 3 weeks or so, then go back to regular benching.
no, I switch it up every few weeks. Usually between flat, incline and milli/push press.

I'll bring my boards next time and we can do some board presses. Do like rhodes said aswell and work on your lats.
yeah man, sounds good. I'm back in toronto for Thanksgiving and the weekend after that.

Bako Lifter
09-09-2007, 04:20 PM
This I knew. I like the size I'm at and I want to get every last ounce of strength out of my skinny frame before beeing up.

This is what I wanted to do @ 148. Don't waste your time Spike, it's so much funner going on a massive bulk.

Detard
09-09-2007, 04:21 PM
Oh **** I forgot you went back to school. Alright yeah sounds good. Let me know when your going to be back in the city and we'll setup a session.

RedSpikeyThing
09-09-2007, 05:07 PM
This is what I wanted to do @ 148. Don't waste your time Spike, it's so much funner going on a massive bulk.

I may gain a little and cut back down later, but I want to try and chase down the Ontario junior records. The only chance I would have would be in the 148s and I have 2 years to do it in.

RhodeHouse
09-09-2007, 06:05 PM
Don't change your plan just for the sake of change. A lot of people think you need to change things every week or so. Wrong! Just work hard and commit to your program. The fact that you want to give it a chance before changing it up tells me that you're already thinking your current plan won't work.

RedSpikeyThing
09-09-2007, 06:43 PM
The fact that you want to give it a chance before changing it up tells me that you're already thinking your current plan won't work.

I'm confused :confused: I'm trying to develop a new plan because the one I used for the last four months didn't work

RhodeHouse
09-09-2007, 06:51 PM
I'm confused :confused: I'm trying to develop a new plan because the one I used for the last four months didn't work

4 Months? It took me 8 years to go from a 500 squat to 955. My point is this - you're young - you don't need change. You don't need a whole lot of rest like a more experienced lifter does. Whatever plan you come up with - stick with it for at least 5 years. Seriously. You haven't given it a chance to work yet. Your current plan isn't that bad. More back work is necessary. If strength came taht easy, there'd be a lot of big strong people in the world. Be patient and believe in whatever it is you come up with. You have to work it. 4 months isn't even giving it a chance. At least 5 years.

Lones Green
09-09-2007, 09:28 PM
you're in the same boat as me, my bench sucks, mostly due to weak shoulders. right now i'm trying high volume on them to see if i can get them to strengthen up. low volume didn't work so much. lots of incline presses, DB presses, etc. also doing heavy rows. try and figure out what works for you, but like rhodehouse said, you've got to try something for a long period of time before you can judge how it works for you. almost a year into powerlifter, i'm beginning to see what works, and what dosen't.

Rodzilla
09-09-2007, 10:37 PM
decrease reps at current weight, increase TUT then move back up to usual reps

nhlfan
09-09-2007, 11:00 PM
125 military press isn't that bad when compared to your bench.

try some weighted pullups, and make them heavy. 4ish reps.

GymnastMatt
09-09-2007, 11:30 PM
if you wanna blast through your bench plateau i would reccomend focusing on the triceps a bit like doing close grip bench presses, about 2 months ago my 1rm on bench was about 185/190 then i did a few weeks of focusing alot on triceps with heavy close grip bench and then i tested my new 1rm and is was 210 then a week later it was 220

nhlfan
09-10-2007, 02:07 AM
we're all kind of right. if you have a 175 bench, everything is weak, no offense (you know what some westside guys say..). It's not worth the nitpicking yet. At this point, don't focus on a single aspect of the lift, just make sure that you're not neglecting anything. Continue to train heavy, work on your form, and I'm sure you'll blast through the plateau soon.

daved931
09-10-2007, 07:48 AM
if you wanna blast through your bench plateau i would reccomend focusing on the triceps a bit like doing close grip bench presses, about 2 months ago my 1rm on bench was about 185/190 then i did a few weeks of focusing alot on triceps with heavy close grip bench and then i tested my new 1rm and is was 210 then a week later it was 220

Triceps will help with lockout strength. I think the problem here is that he's a little weaker coming out of the hole.

RedSpikeyThing
09-10-2007, 08:35 AM
thanks a lot guys. I'm going hit everything hard and focus a little more on my bottom end strength.

KevinStarke
09-10-2007, 09:47 AM
Dead presses, paused benching, and floor presses are what I suggest for your bottom end.

Sidior
09-10-2007, 10:17 AM

no, I switch it up every few weeks. Usually between flat, incline and milli/push press.

yeah man, sounds good. I'm back in toronto for Thanksgiving and the weekend after that.

You guys going to train over thanksgiving?

RedSpikeyThing
09-10-2007, 12:37 PM
You guys going to train over thanksgiving?

No formal plans yet, but it would be good :)