PDA

View Full Version : FitDay and Broccoli

Hazen
09-09-2007, 02:49 PM
So I eat a lot of broccoli and green beans. I buy them frozen because fresh is a little more expensive/more time consuming to prepare and because canned contains way too much sodium for the amount I eat.

I usually just used FitDay's caloric counts for these foods, but in an effort to be just a little more accurate I was going to add them as a custom food and use the numbers straight off the food label. But I've run into two problems:

1) My broccoli is listed as 30 kcal/cup. 0 Fat, 4 Carb (2 Fiber & 2 Sugar), and 1 Protein. But (0*4)+(4*4)+(4*1)=20, not 30.

2) Further, FitDay does not count fiber calories. It's equation for caloric totals is Cals = fat X 9 + (carb - fiber) X 4 + protein X 4 + alcohol X 7, which comes out to 12 kcals/cup. This is a pretty huge difference from 30 kcals/cup.

So what's up with this? I guess I'll just continue to use FitDay's own numbers, but these errors(?) on the food labels are a little puzzling. I've also always read that fiber should be counted toward caloric totals, but not toward net carbs. So is all of the food which contain fiber in FitDay's database wrong as far as calorie count?

1ManRiot
09-09-2007, 02:55 PM
With all due respect, why do you care?

The caloire content of green fibrous veg and its relative TEF value make them almost negible, even on the strictest of diets.

ww.nutritiondata.com is a better site (IMO)

(add a 'W' to that, it wouldn't let me post a link)

Hazen
09-09-2007, 03:03 PM
I'm a naturally inquisitive person. I like to find answers for my questions even when they're trivial. I'm not losing sleep over it, I'm just curious.

MMEI
09-09-2007, 03:17 PM
Fiber is not digested by the body (unless its soluble). Since it is not digested, it doesn't count towards calories or carbs.

Yeah, fitday is a little spotty.

Hazen
09-09-2007, 03:22 PM
I have read that bacteria in the colon break down soluble fiber into fatty acids which are in turn used by the body. Hence fiber has calories but doesn't count toward net carbs.

Rodzilla
09-09-2007, 05:39 PM
lol you are inquisitive

drive
09-10-2007, 06:43 AM
go with fit day.. not everyone uses fiber carbs the same and regardless of the pop belief a carb IS a carb.

1ManRiot
09-10-2007, 02:23 PM
I'm a naturally inquisitive person. I like to find answers for my questions even when they're trivial. I'm not losing sleep over it, I'm just curious.
Thats fair enough, I'm the same I suppose!

As above, fibre is a non-starch polysacharride, making it a carbohydrate.

To the OP, you are correct, some NSP's that survive the intenstines/gut can be converted to acetate, butyrate & proprionate IIRC (short chain fatty acids) by fermentation in the colon. I personally don't think this can be accurately measured as the amount metabolised is so unbelievably small.