PDA

View Full Version : Too much red meat = Gout disease

UK2BB
09-09-2007, 08:05 PM
Hi, im still putting my diet together and i was reading up that too much read meat can cause gout disease. Has anyone experienced this/can offer more insight into this.

Thanks

RedSpikeyThing
09-09-2007, 08:33 PM
that's not what wikipedia says:

Gout (also called metabolic arthritis) is a disease due to a congenital disorder of uric acid metabolism.
If you ain't born with it, you don't get it.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
09-09-2007, 08:52 PM
And for more supporting text, good ol' Webster ~>

1 : a metabolic disease marked by a painful inflammation of the joints, deposits of urates in and around the joints, and usually an excessive amount of uric acid in the blood

drive
09-10-2007, 06:39 AM
he is right. i eat a couple pounds of red meat a day and have for near 20 years

UK2BB
09-10-2007, 08:14 AM
The serum level of uric acid is the primary risk factor for gout. The serum level is the result of both intake (diet) and output (excretion).

The solubility threshold for uric acid is approximately 6.7 mg/dl; above this threshold crystals may form. Healthy subjects in the Normative Aging Study who had serum levels of uric acid over 9.0 mg/dl suffered a 22% incidence of gout over six years, compared to less than one percent for those with 7.0-8.9 mg/dl. The average uric acid level in men is 5.0 mg/dl, and substitution of a purine-free formula diet reduces this to 3.0 mg/dl. A purine-restricted diet lowers the level nearly as much (1-2 mg/dl).

Protein is a crude proxy for purines; a more precise proxy is muscle. Apart from the notable dietary purines above, the main source of dietary purines is DNA and RNA, via their bases adenine and guanine. All sources of dietary protein supply some purines, but some sources provide far more purines than others. Meat (particularly dark meat) and seafood are high in purine because muscle cells are packed with mitochondria, which have their own DNA and RNA. In a large prospective study, high consumption of meat and seafood were found associated with an elevated risk of gout onset (41% and 50%, respectively). High consumption of dairy products, high in protein but very low in DNA and RNA, was associated with a 44% decrease in the incidence of gout. Consumption of the more purine-rich vegetables or a high protein diet per se had no significant correlation.

from wikipedia.

Thanks Redspikeything, i just go ta bit worried when i heard about it.