PDA

View Full Version : How much is too much (cutting calories)

Teutates
09-10-2007, 02:51 PM
I would like to lose 2 lbs a week for 9-10 weeks and I was wondering if 2 lbs a week for that long was a bad thing? I have a sedentary job and go to the gym 4 times a week to do some cardio and lifting. I figure I burn 2600 calories a day (I am 5'9 200lbs and 30 y/o) and if I plan on doing 2 lbs a week that is 1600 calories a day? Other than being a bit out of shape I am healthy. I know I usually see it recommended that one only lose 1 lb - 1.5 lbs a week, I would like to lose some quickly so I can get to a bulking phase.

So is 1000 calories a day too much?

Outshine
09-10-2007, 02:56 PM
For the average fat person who only cares about becoming less fat, 2lbs a week is fantastic.

For someone who lifts and has muscle they want to maintain, 2lbs a week is a bit on the high side. I'm personally a fan of 0.5lbs per week in this case, as this is the rate I've lost on my current cut, and I'm pretty happy with the muscle/strength that I am left with.

1ManRiot
09-10-2007, 02:58 PM
There are no numbers involved, though 2lbs a week is about the maximum weekly weight loss most would recommend to maintain as much muscle mass as possible.

Best way to start, simply begin decreasing portion sizes gradually until you begin to lose weight. Don't bother looking every week, it will take a good 3-4 weeks to notice fat loss.

DoUgL@S
09-10-2007, 08:39 PM
I would like to lose 2 lbs a week for 9-10 weeks and I was wondering if 2 lbs a week for that long was a bad thing? I have a sedentary job and go to the gym 4 times a week to do some cardio and lifting. I figure I burn 2600 calories a day (I am 5'9 200lbs and 30 y/o) and if I plan on doing 2 lbs a week that is 1600 calories a day? Other than being a bit out of shape I am healthy. I know I usually see it recommended that one only lose 1 lb - 1.5 lbs a week, I would like to lose some quickly so I can get to a bulking phase.

So is 1000 calories a day too much?

People who use PMSF type diets run a very high caloric deficit without loosing too much muscle. What's your bf%? If you are around 200 lbs at let's say 20% bf, then you would eat 160 g of protein from lean sources and 10 fish oil caps (10g of fat), and vitamins/mineral supplement. That would be roughly 820 calories (640 calories from the protein, 90 from the FOCs and I added another 10g of fat for trace fats in the lean protein source). That is a bigger deficit than you are running in your scenario at -1800 or so.

If you are going to try something like this it is always nice to include and Ephedra/Caffeine stack to blunt the metabolism slow down.

murray421
09-11-2007, 05:03 AM
the effect is not fast, just slowly, hard to see