PDA

View Full Version : Moving to college - what food to bring?

Hazerboy
09-10-2007, 03:19 PM
My dorm is a 15 minute bus ride from the cafeteria, and I only get 3 meals a day there anyways, so what else should I bring?

So far I'm thinking about a couple bags of trail mix, a few lbs of cottage cheese (we have a mini fridge) and lots of milk. Maybe a bag of whey too. Any other ideas? I'm not bulking per say, but I do lift/workout three times a week and so I have a huge appetite.

getfit
09-10-2007, 03:23 PM
tuna!

1ManRiot
09-10-2007, 03:32 PM
You mean you have a 30 min round trip for every meal!!? Thats hardly practical! Don't you have access to a student kitchen?

RedSpikeyThing
09-10-2007, 05:34 PM
oatmeal, tuna, nuts, seeds, yogurt, granola
EDIT: get a kettle. It's good for tea, coffee, oatmeal, soup, etc.

AiCPearlJamWeen
09-10-2007, 08:08 PM
Get this. I go to the Culinary Institute of America and my dorm doesn't even have a student kitchen. I go to the most prestigious ****ing culinary school in the U.S let alone the world and we don't even get student kitchens. It sucks because my diet on the weekend now consist of packets of flavored oatmeal, water, dry cereal and whatever the the pub/cafe has (usually greasy ****, but hey you gotta eat something).

I've lost 6 lbs in 3 weeks though, which is cool seeing how I am trying to lose weight.

beaverfootball
09-10-2007, 10:28 PM
hey man i am a freshman in college to. kinda rough starting out for me to find out what food to get. but at the walmart here i can get canned tuna for 50 cents a can. which is good if you ask me.

but yeah tuna, oatmeal, baked beans, yogurt, cottage cheese.

its so funny when people come over to hang out or whatever and are hungry. they always wonder why i have such "weird" food... but i love it so oh well :)

Hazerboy
09-11-2007, 12:30 PM
Hmm yeah I've kind of been getting sick of tuna lately. Plus I'm not sure my roommate or the rest of the hall will enjoy the smell.

I'm not sure about a student kitchen. I think there's supposed to be one on our floor but who knows about what they have to offer in terms of pots and pans/equipment. I'm was planning on waiting until I came back for thanksgiving before I brought anything.

HAHA that cracks me up AiC.That deserves the lulz turtle: http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/Image:Lolzturtle.gif

ray34iyf
09-11-2007, 12:47 PM
Well, right now I'm living off of peanuts, peanut butter, tuna, whole milk, oats, bananas, pretzels, Nitrean and Opticen. Very cheap compared to what I'd be spending at the cafeteria that's for sure.

RedSpikeyThing
09-11-2007, 02:09 PM
I'm not sure about a student kitchen. I think there's supposed to be one on our floor but who knows about what they have to offer in terms of pots and pans/equipment. I'm was planning on waiting until I came back for thanksgiving before I brought anything.

My residence had no equipment at all. Everyone kinda mooched off the people who had a pot.

Jordanbcool
09-11-2007, 02:11 PM
I live almost exclusivly on whey protein. That and a shaker cup are extremely convenient for dorm life.