PDA

View Full Version : Completely disheartening...

Morox
09-11-2007, 12:27 AM
Why am I progressing so slow? I have been doing the WBB1 for 8 months now and I feel like it's not even doing anything. I have been consistent with my workouts as well.

I have gained about 10 pounds. At this point in time, I am roughly 5'8" and 155 lbs.

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/6832/updatekl6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/6832/updatekl6.fcac14b5a7.jpg (http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=521&i=updatekl6.jpg)

When I first started working out, I slapped together some stupid routine that got bashed here pretty badly. It worked a hell of a lot better than this one. I don't get it. I don't think my biceps have even gained a half cm.

smalls
09-11-2007, 01:05 AM
I think you look better, not hugely but better. That being said you never mentioned diet once, which is what puts muscle on you. Make progress in the gym and eat more than you burn, rest and you will grow. You have gained 10lbs in 8 months, that's your problem.

Also you said you feel like your not doing anything, do you mean your actuall workouts or your progress. What type of effort are you putting into each workout.

Ramstein85
09-11-2007, 04:47 AM
Trust me bro like Smalls said, i used to lift weights before but never eat anywhere near enough, so i completely disregard those days as me 'having lifted before' it all started when i joined this forum and joined www.fitday.com calculated my cals + protein. Make sure you get around 3500 calories +. I followed a diet of 3.5-4k cals for one month and i gained 11lbs. Of course its not all LBM but i definitely got stronger and bigger too. EATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT, get peanut butter and force feed yourself a couple of tablespoons when your on the computer/watching tv. Search for post-workout shake recipes, olive oil, raw nuts (brazil/ walnut/ hazelnuts/ almonds/peanuts). Stuff like that will help you get the calories easier.
Wake up and have one cup of oatmeal with honey + 6 egg whites. Trust me, if i can gain 11lbs in a month, you should be able to at least get 8lbs. I used to think i ate like a mofo and never gained, but it was rubbish i jsut didnt calculate how many calories i was taking in each day. Sorry for the long ass post, good luck.

PS I do some progress, but you can get it much faster just dont give up and do what i told u and lift heavy and rest enough (8hours sleep minimum)

RBB
09-11-2007, 07:28 AM
i agree with the advice above. start tracking your cals on fitday and you'll start making some progress.

on another note, legs are looking absolutely sick in that new avatar, smalls.

Outshine
09-11-2007, 07:55 AM
Without knowing your diet, (for example, if you're not eating enough calories to grow, you're not going to grow, period) it's hard to say why your progress isn't so great.

Also, I think WBB1 kind of sucks. Not at all because it's a body part split, but because for a body part split, it lacks the volume of a body part split. It's like 4 sets per muscle group per week or something close to that. That's like normal upper/lower/off/upper/lower type volume, only it's once per week.

I think your diet is probably you're biggest problem (only a guess, though) and that, either way, you should switch to WBB1.1 or BGB or something similar.

RedSpikeyThing
09-11-2007, 10:04 AM
Although you've only gained 10 lbs, you look noticeable leaner too. That means you burned fat and gained muscle. If you aren't satisfied with your results and have been busting your ass in the gym, then you gotta rethink your diet.

-Superman-
09-11-2007, 10:21 AM
You are obviously not eating anything if you only gained 10lbs of anything (fat or muscle) in 8 months. You should of been able to gain at least 50lbs of mass (fat & muscle) during that time. You should also look for another routine as WBB doesn't always work. It never worked for me. Also, stop worrying about bicep size. I don't know why everyone is so obsessed with this 1 tiny muscle on the body.

:thumbup:

smalls
09-11-2007, 11:33 AM
i agree with the advice above. start tracking your cals on fitday and you'll start making some progress.

on another note, legs are looking absolutely sick in that new avatar, smalls.

Thanks bro, really appreciate it. Now to just get my upper body halfway to your level.

To the original poster, what does your diet look like now. Do you track it. You have the advice you need now do it. You will be surprised at the progress in the gym simply from eating more.

Vapour Trails
09-11-2007, 11:42 AM
Disheartened why?

You gained 10 pounds and you look leaner than the before pics, that's pretty good. I would suggest moving into the 21st century and quit the body part split. Train upper/lower 4 times per week and eat a slight excess.

I'd ignore the standard WBB advice of gaining 20 pounds of fat to gain 10 pounds of muscle (like gaining 50lbs in 8 months). Slow and steady is the best way to go. Dieting for 6 months to strip off all the unnecessary fat gain is not fun. People have really unrealistic expectations about how much muscle they can gain without drugs. For a natural, gaining 1-1.5 lbs of muscle per month is really good. Think of where you would be in 2-3 years at that rate of growth.

Leeman
09-11-2007, 02:34 PM
Eat more, train harder, upp the weight weekly and do alot of sets/reps.

Put on 30lbs in 50 weeks put 100 on your bench 100+ on your squat and slap a 45 on your pullups for the same reps. Once you have done this I guarantee you will have put on alot of muscle.

http://www.joeskopec.com/five.html

5x5 generator will make sure that you are always progressing, eat when ever you feel hungry and dont leave the table until your full.
__
Yeah Yeah you dont need to gain excess fat to put on muscle but this is a proven easy way to put on muscle and aparently the try to stay lean while bulking diet isnt working for him.

bjohnso
09-11-2007, 05:21 PM
You gained 10 pounds in 8 months? You should have gained 100lbs in 8 months. Well, that may be a bit excessive, but you see my point, don't you?

growthrep
09-11-2007, 07:52 PM
Kid, do 3x3, focusing on BP, Squat, and DL and eat like a PHUCKEN animal (4-5000 cals a day). Come back in 8 months and post picks again.

You're welcome.

Morox
09-11-2007, 08:45 PM
I was getting 3200 calories a day when I tried bulking. I did it for around 4 months and it did very little. My diet on my bulk consisted of a lot of meat and dairy products.

WBBIRL
09-11-2007, 08:48 PM
Don't go hog wild on your eating, you DO NOT want to get fat. Take it from someone who's a grade A American fatty... DO NOT get fat.

If you've gained 10 pounds in 8 months and it was all muscle, then really you can't be that disappointed in it. This is where it gets confusing for me.

It does not look like you put on 10 pounds of muscle, someone in your body fat range would get noticeably bigger from 10 pounds of LBM. You like like you gained maybe 2-3 pounds at best and leaned out slightly.

Most people think that if they aren't gaining weight that they aren't training hard enough, so they train harder but usually don't eat any more then they were. You have to eat more, plain and simple but don't eat 2000 calories more then you really need.

The unassisted lifter can gain about 2 pounds a month of muscle, maybe a little more with good genetics. 16 pounds of muscle will make a big difference on someone your size, a big difference... hell even in someone my size. So eat 500 calories a day over what you need and you have your bulk. If you maintain weight at 3000 calories you don't bulk on 5000... unless you want to have man titties. You bulk on 3500, again assuming you maintain on 3000.

Questor
09-11-2007, 09:46 PM
You look much better. Keep doing what you're doing. Patience. 10 years from now you'll look like a tank.

Morox
09-11-2007, 11:05 PM
Don't go hog wild on your eating, you DO NOT want to get fat. Take it from someone who's a grade A American fatty... DO NOT get fat.

If you've gained 10 pounds in 8 months and it was all muscle, then really you can't be that disappointed in it. This is where it gets confusing for me.

It does not look like you put on 10 pounds of muscle, someone in your body fat range would get noticeably bigger from 10 pounds of LBM. You like like you gained maybe 2-3 pounds at best and leaned out slightly.

Most people think that if they aren't gaining weight that they aren't training hard enough, so they train harder but usually don't eat any more then they were. You have to eat more, plain and simple but don't eat 2000 calories more then you really need.

The unassisted lifter can gain about 2 pounds a month of muscle, maybe a little more with good genetics. 16 pounds of muscle will make a big difference on someone your size, a big difference... hell even in someone my size. So eat 500 calories a day over what you need and you have your bulk. If you maintain weight at 3000 calories you don't bulk on 5000... unless you want to have man titties. You bulk on 3500, again assuming you maintain on 3000.

I have been sitting at my weight by just eating two meals a day. Right around 2000 calories. I am thinking 2800-3000 should probably put me on a slow bulk.

Con
09-12-2007, 07:20 AM
Im in more or less the same boat as you, except I could easily eat more.

I always thought maintianing my weight and just busting my ass would show results, but to really see progress, im beggining to realize you need to actually change something abouts your body. In our cases, eating a bit more food than necessary seems like the only way.

Id say just be reasonable, take it slow, and track body comp changes. Too fast and slow down, not fast enough and you pick it up a bit. Come back in 1 year. Thats what I am about to start...

GL.

smalls
09-12-2007, 02:24 PM
I have been sitting at my weight by just eating two meals a day. Right around 2000 calories. I am thinking 2800-3000 should probably put me on a slow bulk.

For a short time maybe, but you just said your were at 3200 cals a day for 4 months and it did very little right? Well why did you stay at 3200 then, bump it to 3400, 3700. You can grow, it just takes applying the principles. Keep it up.

schmitty199
09-12-2007, 05:52 PM
Your definetly a victim of undereating. Cant build something without the materials man.

Eat up and you'll see way bigger gains over the next 8 months.

bill
09-12-2007, 09:36 PM
Take the advice smalls is giving. I was about that size (frame, and fat mass) and it took me bulking until about 25 y/o before I needed to slow down. You may pack on fat faster but it should be another 30 pds at the least before your bf gets very high. Are you afraid of getting fat, that's what holds a lot of young guys back.

Con
09-12-2007, 10:13 PM
Take the advice smalls is giving. I was about that size (frame, and fat mass) and it took me bulking until about 25 y/o before I needed to slow down. You may pack on fat faster but it should be another 30 pds at the least before your bf gets very high. Are you afraid of getting fat, that's what holds a lot of young guys back.

I know that is a fear of mine. Cant speak for moroxo however.

Guido
09-13-2007, 10:12 AM
I started at 145 lbs and put on 50 lbs over 9 months and still was not fat. If you lift with enough intensity (especially on the big 3, deadlift, squat and bench) and consistency while keeping your diet clean while still getting enough protein and calories, you should be able to make great progress.

Jorge Sanchez
09-13-2007, 02:58 PM
Eat. EAT. EAT!!!

North
09-13-2007, 03:06 PM
Disheartened why?

Slow and steady is the best way to go. Dieting for 6 months to strip off all the unnecessary fat gain is not fun.

I agree, cutting isn't fun

blackboard
09-13-2007, 09:09 PM
Eat more, train harder, upp the weight weekly and do alot of sets/reps.

Put on 30lbs in 50 weeks put 100 on your bench 100+ on your squat and slap a 45 on your pullups for the same reps. Once you have done this I guarantee you will have put on alot of muscle.

http://www.joeskopec.com/five.html

5x5 generator will make sure that you are always progressing, eat when ever you feel hungry and dont leave the table until your full.
__
Yeah Yeah you dont need to gain excess fat to put on muscle but this is a proven easy way to put on muscle and aparently the try to stay lean while bulking diet isnt working for him.

:withstupi

I think you fell trap to a common newbie mistake. Some people think if you just lift weights 3-4 times a week your body will magically jump from 150lb to 215lb. You probably was training hard but without proper diet you are missing half the puzzle.

Start eating more. I recommend drinking milk shakes after every meal. Cost like 99cents in the dairy section. Will give 400 calories more to every meal. Much easier than force feeding.

With excess calories and progression in your lifts the body has no choice but to grow.

kw1k
09-14-2007, 04:37 AM
you have progressed well.. Keep doing your thing. However, go ahead and bump up your calories, eat extra , get plenty of rest and you will acheive your goals

berfles
09-27-2007, 10:11 PM
Eh, I've been eating 4000-4600 calories almost every day of the week and I can't get past 160lbs. That is with two 1400 calorie shakes and one 500 calorie shake on top of normal food. Maybe it's my sleep though, I have insomnia and lie in bed for hours before finally falling asleep. Doesn't matter what time I go to bed, I still lay there forever.

Though I did just hit a new PR for my bench press tonight and could probably do a little more, I got bored and just tried to max out with a weight that I got stuck on before and got it easily, plus it's 12am and I'm dead tired.

I'm hoping that once I get my rack and can train properly things will speed up a little more.

North
09-27-2007, 10:21 PM
I know what you mean, insomnia sucks. I used to get little panic attacks and couldn't fall asleep, sometimes I would just stay up all night and go to sleep at school. Weirdly enough I started sleeping on the couch and it got better.

Hutch175
09-28-2007, 06:13 AM
I dont think anyone else has posted this yet <sarcasm> but EAT! Use Fitday, it makes all the difference in the world knowing what your eating and what your not. You may THINK your pigging out and in your mind gettin 3k calories a day...but then when you put it down, it turns out to barely be 2k.

I have been in your shoes. The first time I tried to put on weight, I would take the weight gainers and everything else I could think of to add weight. I considered myself a "hard gainer", which I did have a high metabolism. But looking back, it was really only that I wasnt eating enough. This time, I tracked in fitday, and you can see my results so far below. The weight has been coming (I have backed off a bit because past couple weeks, due to life taking control, but back on it next week for the push to Christmas).

Summary : DIET DIET DIET! EAT EAT EAT! :burger:

RedSpikeyThing
09-28-2007, 07:42 AM
Eh, I've been eating 4000-4600 calories almost every day of the week and I can't get past 160lbs. That is with two 1400 calorie shakes and one 500 calorie shake on top of normal food.

Eat 5000 and tell me how it does. If that doesn't work, try 5500. There's nothing magical about shakes, they're just food. Total calories is all that matters.

-Superman-
09-28-2007, 08:55 AM
Eh, I've been eating 4000-4600 calories almost every day of the week and I can't get past 160lbs. That is with two 1400 calorie shakes and one 500 calorie shake on top of normal food. Maybe it's my sleep though, I have insomnia and lie in bed for hours before finally falling asleep. Doesn't matter what time I go to bed, I still lay there forever.

Though I did just hit a new PR for my bench press tonight and could probably do a little more, I got bored and just tried to max out with a weight that I got stuck on before and got it easily, plus it's 12am and I'm dead tired.

I'm hoping that once I get my rack and can train properly things will speed up a little more.

4000-4600 calories a day is honestly not that much. I had over 1000 calories for breakfast alone today which included:

-2 x Ham, Egg, Cheese Biscuits
-1/4 lbs of baked chicken breast
-Green Beans
-Prolab Training Pak
-1 quart of milk

I ate it all in under 10 minutes too because I was late for work. When you hit 7500-10000 calories a day, then you need to start worrying about not gaining weight.

mark6754
09-28-2007, 11:01 AM

What he said:)

berfles
09-28-2007, 11:27 AM
4000-4600 calories a day is honestly not that much. I had over 1000 calories for breakfast alone today which included:

-2 x Ham, Egg, Cheese Biscuits
-1/4 lbs of baked chicken breast
-Green Beans
-Prolab Training Pak
-1 quart of milk

I ate it all in under 10 minutes too because I was late for work. When you hit 7500-10000 calories a day, then you need to start worrying about not gaining weight.

I do not have the stomach nor the money to throw away on eating 10,000 a day. I can barely force eat 4600 right now, it is not possible for me to eat that much more regardless of what anyone says. When people here first told me 3000 wasn't much I eventually believed them and saw that it wasn't, but now that I'm eating 4600 I can't physically force myself any more. I won't eat to the point of throwing up every day.

Though I hit a new best with my bench press last night at midnight, which means I can probably even do a little more. Something must still be happening, I'm deadlifting and benching more than ever.

-Superman-
09-28-2007, 11:56 AM
I do not have the stomach nor the money to throw away on eating 10,000 a day. I can barely force eat 4600 right now, it is not possible for me to eat that much more regardless of what anyone says. When people here first told me 3000 wasn't much I eventually believed them and saw that it wasn't, but now that I'm eating 4600 I can't physically force myself any more. I won't eat to the point of throwing up every day.

Though I hit a new best with my bench press last night at midnight, which means I can probably even do a little more. Something must still be happening, I'm deadlifting and benching more than ever.

I am not saying to eat 10,000 calories haha. That is just a number I respect given you see these obese people on TLC and olympic athletes consuming almost that amount during training. Michael Phelps the swimmer eats around 7500 calories a day. I would say you should be able to eat 5000/day without getting overly sick, fat, or bankrupt. Just think of ways to get to 5000. Combine weightgaining shakes with good quality food. You can also time yourself to eat every 2-3 hours or 6 times a day. If you can eat around 800-850 calories per meal, you should be set. Cheap meals I eat are:

-Hamburger helper ($3-4 lbs of meat, $1 helper, $0.10 milk, $0.01 water)
-Chicken Breast ($3-4 lbs)
-Milk ($3/gallon)
-$ Menu (but I rarely eat out anymore as it is just loaded with fat)
-Spagetti and Meatballs ($1-2 for a full plate)

You would be surprised how much you can eat with so little to spend. Also, until you really vomit or have your food come up like it did for me this morning (eating green beans after chicken and eggs is just NASTY!), you never know what you can really do! :D

berfles
09-28-2007, 12:03 PM
I am not saying to eat 10,000 calories haha. That is just a number I respect given you see these obese people on TLC and olympic athletes consuming almost that amount during training. Michael Phelps the swimmer eats around 7500 calories a day. I would say you should be able to eat 5000/day without getting overly sick, fat, or bankrupt. Just think of ways to get to 5000. Combine weightgaining shakes with good quality food. You can also time yourself to eat every 2-3 hours or 6 times a day. If you can eat around 800-850 calories per meal, you should be set. Cheap meals I eat are:

-Hamburger helper ($3-4 lbs of meat, $1 helper, $0.10 milk, $0.01 water)
-Chicken Breast ($3-4 lbs)
-Milk ($3/gallon)
-$ Menu (but I rarely eat out anymore as it is just loaded with fat)
-Spagetti and Meatballs ($1-2 for a full plate)

You would be surprised how much you can eat with so little to spend. Also, until you really vomit or have your food come up like it did for me this morning (eating green beans after chicken and eggs is just NASTY!), you never know what you can really do! :D

I know, but usually as I drink my 1400 shake right before bed I get close to throwing some of it up, just drinking it gags me. I already drink 3 shakes a day and do eat just about every 2 hours. I eat breakfast, bring a shake to work and drink that, go home and eat dinner, then have another shake after my workout, and then more food, and then another shake before bed. I could probably eat more between the workout and bed I guess. Once I get my rack and can start quality exercises I'll try adding another 500 calories, but if it's anything like the past has been that will only be good for another 10lbs and I'll stop yet again. It doesn't seem normal to me that I can't even get by 160 eating 4600-4800 a day and it's really starting to piss me off. Maybe I'll get so mad that I just start eating every 30 minutes.

I don't want to derail the OP's thread though, so if/when I start trying to eat more maybe I'll make another thread on it.

Hutch175
09-28-2007, 01:54 PM
Try p-nut butter and a couple teaspoons of olive oil here n there. 200 calories, good fats, quick easy calories. Not sure whats in your shakes, but I make a 1k calorie one, and it tastes great not thick or too much. (grabbed most of it off of here hehe)

1 cup milk
1 cup chocolate ice cream
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons pnut butter
1 dose vanilla protein powder

Right at 1k calories (dont have exact figures here) and it tastes mmm mmm good. Not thick, not chalky, nothing but an easy quick 1k with some quality protien ta boot

berfles
09-28-2007, 02:39 PM
Mine is about 1400 calories and has milk, whey, natural peanut butter, ice cream, oats, and Carbo Gain. The oats ruin it and I am tired of it tasting like peanut butter. I keep making them though since trying to gain weight has ruined most food for me.

Munky
09-28-2007, 04:22 PM
Definitly lookin better, but like everyone else said 8 months and 10lbs needs to be changed. Get that diet going boy.